Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pleasant surprise

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   4DThinker

4DThinker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:08 PM

OK, most of you may already know this. Sorry to those of you.

My wife got fed up with her bedroom H20 and old TIVO, so I picked up a new HR20 for her. We only have one sat feed into that room (although I will add a second one later) so the HR20 was hooked up with just one SAT cable. It also got an OTA antenna cable.

The surprise came when she was recording a SAT channel but watching an OTA channel. We knew we wouldn't be able to tune to a second SAT channel, which was true. We hit "REC" on the OTA channel we were watching, and were surpised to discover we could still tune to a second OTA channel.

Yes, I knew there were two OTA tuners in the HR20. I just never expected with only one SAT feed that I could still record two channels and watch a third. I can, so long as only one SAT tuner is involved.

Just thought you'd like to know. BTW, the HR20 never complained about a missing SAT feed. It went though setup quickly and was running within 1 minute of me getting it activated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:05 AM

It's true, the HR20 has an internal splitter for ATSC programming. You can also record one sat and one OTA at the same time with your setup, but you can't watch a third live source. While the HR20 can take in 2 sats and 2 OTAs, it can only tune to two sources, period.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

Even better...sometime soon you'll be able to use one of the DirecTV SWMs and get the benefit of both sat feeds with one cable. No release date, that I know of, has been announced.

OK, most of you may already know this. Sorry to those of you.

My wife got fed up with her bedroom H20 and old TIVO, so I picked up a new HR20 for her. We only have one sat feed into that room (although I will add a second one later) so the HR20 was hooked up with just one SAT cable. It also got an OTA antenna cable.

The surprise came when she was recording a SAT channel but watching an OTA channel. We knew we wouldn't be able to tune to a second SAT channel, which was true. We hit "REC" on the OTA channel we were watching, and were surpised to discover we could still tune to a second OTA channel.

Yes, I knew there were two OTA tuners in the HR20. I just never expected with only one SAT feed that I could still record two channels and watch a third. I can, so long as only one SAT tuner is involved.

Just thought you'd like to know. BTW, the HR20 never complained about a missing SAT feed. It went though setup quickly and was running within 1 minute of me getting it activated.

#4 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

anyway to find out how long until the SWM is released? If it was not too long I would wait and not have to run another cable

#5 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like you had three tuners going, interesting. Did everything record as expected?

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

anyway to find out how long until the SWM is released? If it was not too long I would wait and not have to run another cable

There is no set date for the SWM public availability
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

Sounds like you had three tuners going, interesting. Did everything record as expected?

And this would be the $64,000 question, since three programs can't be recorded/viewed.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

Even better...sometime soon you'll be able to use one of the DirecTV SWMs and get the benefit of both sat feeds with one cable. No release date, that I know of, has been announced.

Pretty funny Ken says - Sometime soon and in the next sentence says - no release date, that I know of, has been announced.

How can you say sometime soon if you have no clue when it will be released ?:)

If anyone has only one line going to the HR20 now I wouldn't hold your breath wating for the SWM to be released.

#9 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

Mach, I'm not involved in any of the testing of the SWM and I've never seen the device, but my guess is D wants to get it out as quickly as possible as it could cut their costs significantly when it comes to installing their new 5LNB dish.

On the negative side, D releasing something isn't always indicative of it being stable.

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

Mach, I'm not involved in any of the testing of the SWM and I've never seen the device, but my guess is D wants to get it out as quickly as possible as it could cut their costs significantly when it comes to installing their new 5LNB dish.

On the negative side, D releasing something isn't always indicative of it being stable.

Alright, how about stopping the bashing on every thread you comment on.

Actually, they are taking their time with the SWM to get it right. I have had one for a few months now and have had no problems.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall