Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pick only one DLB, MediaShare or VOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick only one DLB, MediaShare or VOD (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick only one DLB, MediaShare or VOD

1. MediaShare (17 votes [8.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.95%

2. DLB (93 votes [48.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.95%

3. VOD (80 votes [42.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

Vote

#21 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

Is VOD going to cost anything if we use it?

Some programs you will have to pay for and some you will not. How much of each we don't know yet.

#22 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

GO AHEAD JUST GUESS HOW I VOIED....

I see the purpose of this poll to demonstrate whether perhaps the features D^ is focusing on is not what a great # of their subs want lst...whether that matters i dont know...

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#23 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

GO AHEAD JUST GUESS HOW I VOIED....

I see the purpose of this poll to demonstrate whether perhaps the features D^ is focusing on is not what a great # of their subs want lst...whether that matters i dont know...

When this poll opens up to the 16,000,000+ user base...

Is when we will know what a "great #" of subs want...

Regardless... I have been without DLB for almost 2 years (going back to the introduction of the R15)... and have long since gotten to a point, that I just don't need it...

Give me VOD, so I can have a massive library of programming to choose from when there is just nothing recorded, or live that i want to watch.

Either way, it is still a very slanted poll... as you don't have to have "just one"
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

I picked VOD because I might like it. But DLB over Mediashare any day. The results tend to echo my feelings.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#25 OFFLINE   Que

Que

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:11 PM

Regardless... I have been without DLB for almost 2 years (going back to the introduction of the R15)... and have long since gotten to a point, that I just don't need it...

If the HR20 did...;/ did get DLB. Would you use it?

#26 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

I would with Sunday Ticket and other sports but it's been almost a year (okay, a year in November) but I really don't miss it all that much. My big reason for DLB in the past was to track my fantasy players but I can do that now with ST Superfan.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#27 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

Honestly? No. I hardly ever used it when I had it on the TiVos... as I simply have stopped watching live TV shows. Nearly everything I watch now on my DVR's is recorded.

And if it is live? I usually end up recording it, simply because I am so used to not having to sit there and watch something live.

I am not a "dual sport watcher"... I don't flip between multiple games.
I love the NFL as much as the next guys, but when my Bears on... it's the Berars on the screen till half-time.

If there are two sporting events on that I MUST watch... I pull out the 2nd TV, or have it going on a gamcast on the PC that is in the living room.

I don't try to watch two news broadcasts at the same time, nor two sitcoms
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

Earl, I agree, I dont need it either. As demonstrated by my dedication to the hr20 and its users. I could jump anytime to a cable dvr, as i have cable included in my maintanance, but choose to add D*. I thoroughly enjoy the hr20 and find it superior to my other directivo unit.

But i enjoyed DLB.....and would enjoy it again.

And i agree the poll is slanted as we dont have to just have one (i didnt create this puppy).

Where i respectfully disagree, is a sampling large enough can be extrapolated, ie harris and nielson polls. Where this one faulters is the way its worded. WE (the dbstalk community), though, IMHO are a broad enough base; although somewhat techie driven. Nevertheless the better written polls here can be fairly extrapolated to represent 16 million. Thats what scientific polls do, as you know. But this one aint scientiffically written, true.

And thanks Earl for continuing to give DLB a forum. And if you like our one sticky idea, go for it. I will adhere to its self imposed concept. I know we irritate some...

When this poll opens up to the 16,000,000+ user base...

Is when we will know what a "great #" of subs want...

Give me VOD, so I can have a massive library of programming to choose from when there is just nothing recorded, or live that i want to watch.

Either way, it is still a very slanted poll... as you don't have to have "just one"

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 

#29 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

Nope. There is no need for DLB. Done :lol:
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#30 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

The HR20 is the first and only DVR I have ever used. I certainly don't miss DLB since I have never used it and the HR20 works exactly the way I expect it to. Why not just record what you want instead of relying on DLB. Heck, I was just happy to get rid of all the VHS tapes.

I voted for VOD!

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#31 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

I do not understand what is so hard about hitting the record button.

In the CE last week we got the ability to jump from recording to live and back while both are being buffered. I see no advantage using my 10-250 vs. this new approach on the HR20.

#32 OFFLINE   jselinger24

jselinger24

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

VOD.

I can live without DLB. Don't really miss it.

VOD!!!

#33 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

From the proposed single DLB thread.....

"Even the current workaround is tedious. Recording two programs works but you CAN'T use the PREV channel button to toggle between the two programs. One of them always defaults to LIVE.
What is the purpose of the Single Live Buffer if it doesn't even remember the Pause Point? Do the developers really believe that the ideal scenario is to force the user to Rewind back to the point they left off?
Sure, if you want to toggle back and forth you can go into the Playlist every time and select the other program. Tedious and unnecessary. User unfriendliness like that needs to be fixed
."

In the CE last week we got the ability to jump from recording to live and back while both are being buffered. I see no advantage using my 10-250 vs. this new approach on the HR20.

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 

#34 OFFLINE   eahmjh

eahmjh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

Never had DLB and don't care for it, probably won't ever use it, so my VOTE is VOD, like mentioned earlier if there is nothing good to watch on TV then we can pick something worth while.

Thanks
HR20-700: HDMI 1080i to Sony KDL-46XBR2
HR21-100: HDMI 720p to Sylvania 6632LG
H21-200: HDMI 720P to Sony KDL-26L5000
Monster Power Center HTS-3600MKII
Sony STR-DG800: Optical to HR20
Bose 301, VSC-10, 161 speakers
Velodyne VRP1000 subwoofer
AT9 5 LNB; Zinwel WB-68 Mulitswitch

#35 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,678 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:28 PM

I refuse to use the REC button when watching live because I don't want to first have to look at my playlist to see if there's any danger of one or more programs being deleted. This is my biggest issue with the "DLB simulation using REC on two tuners" ... Using this method means you could face conflicts with upcoming recordings and could force you to run out of space, meaning programs in your playlist will be deleted.

Instead, my work around involves two HR20s and a Harmony universal remote. Today I watched NBC's Wimdledon coverage on one box, and the Yankees game on YES on the other. I paused each DVR and used my Harmony "Activity" buttons to toggle between the two DVRs. The activity took care of switching AV inputs on the TV and home theater, so I just had to wait for the TV to refresh.

I would prefer to have DLB and not have to do this .. but I'll never press REC while this is an option for me.

#36 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

and finally, a yankee game worth watching!

I refuse to use the REC button when watching live because I don't want to first have to look at my playlist to see if there's any danger of one or more programs being deleted. This is my biggest issue with the "DLB simulation using REC on two tuners" ... Using this method means you could face conflicts with upcoming recordings and could force you to run out of space, meaning pgragrams in your playlist will be deleted.

Instead, my work around involves two HR20s and a Harmony universal remote. Today I watched NBC Wimdledon's coverage on one box, and the Yankees game on YES on the other. I paused each DVR and used my Harmony "Activity" buttons to toggle between the two DVRs. The activity took care of switching AV inputs on the TV and home theater, so I just had to wait for the TV to refresh.

I would prefer to have DLB and not have to do this .. but I'll never press REC while this is an option for me.

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 

#37 OFFLINE   HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • Locationnorth east pa

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

That Was The Real Yankee Team. I Would Love To Have Dlb For Football

#38 OFFLINE   SuperTech1

SuperTech1

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

I don't see "none" as an answer. I would rather the problems that remain with the HR20 as a DVR be fixed first....

No DVR related problems left of any consequence (with the exception of MPEG4 issues) to delay other enhancements. IMHO.

I also believe the MPEG4 issues are less about the HR20 and more about the learning curve of a new technology. All in good time. It's not an A or B decision.
"If I can't fix it, it ain't broke"
Sony KDS-60A2020 SXRD Mitsubishi WS-55819
5LNB AU9 Dish Directv HR20-700 DVR - Networked

HR21-100 - Networked
Linksys WRT350N Router Linksys WGA54G

#39 OFFLINE   mopzo

mopzo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

Until the HR20 supports wireless encryption, it will never be more than a DVR to me.
Hitachi 51SWX20B w/HR20-100. LG 37LG50 w/HR22-100 and AM-21. Verizon FiOS w/Actiontec Router, Linksys PowerLine AV Network, Playstation 3, Wii, Dell XPS M1340, XM/Sirrus Satellite Radio, iPhone

#40 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

Give me VOD. Had Tivo for 2 years....didn't even know that DLB existed.

spam firewall