Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pick only one DLB, MediaShare or VOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick only one DLB, MediaShare or VOD (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick only one DLB, MediaShare or VOD

1. MediaShare (17 votes [8.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.95%

2. DLB (93 votes [48.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.95%

3. VOD (80 votes [42.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

Vote

#51 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:16 AM

DLB!
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Elistan98

Elistan98

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

VOD

If there is a show i want to watch i record it. I just make sure my percent used stays around 50 so i know when i need to start watching stuff

If I watch Football I'm only watching the Bengals and I don't change channels unless they are doing that poorly in which case I don't want to watch football at all. (besides wife would kill me if I watched more than one game a day and some days i think that one game might do me in as well depending on her mood).

Mediashare is ok but am looking forward to when video is included as well.

VOD gives me the chance to have access to The Anime Network and/or The Funimation Channel since D* wont carry the linear channel. VOD could also be used in this way for channels they dont want to carry 24-7. It can also provide access to premium channels for those 1 or 2 shows your interested in but dont want to pay 13 a month for.

#53 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:08 AM

The point of the poll is obvious.

It is an opportunity to demonstrate that DLB is as important (or moreso) to the members of dbstalk.com as two of the features that D* is actively pursuing.

So if there is any debate at D* as to "should we" or "shouldn't we" put DLB on our to do list they can weigh that a statistical sampling of actual users consider DLB as important as other stuff they have already decided to do.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#54 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

When this poll opens up to the 16,000,000+ user base...

Is when we will know what a "great #" of subs want...

Polls are based on representative samples of the population in question. The results are extrapolations with a margin for error.

You will amost never see a poll taken of the entire community at issue when that community exceeds a certain size. Suggesting that a poll is not valid unless all 16 million subscribers are given the opportunity to respond is quite a stretch. It is a statistical sampling, a barometer of sorts, not a binding vote. No more...no less.

Even the widely renown Gallup polls typically only engage about 1000 people at a time for the latest round of questioning.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#55 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

First off, a forced choice poll of this nature is a common and legitimate way to gather marketing information. Of course in the real world we are not limited to just one. But it makes people think about what is most important.

As a thread, this poll has answered some people's questions about things other then DLB. It poll has done some good.

And it did give everyone a chance to rattle the old cliches again. :)

During football season, for me, DLB. I use it too much to surf the other games and the workaround just isn't surfing friendly at all.

Now, should the ALL ACCESS package come to pass where all my old DVRs don't cost anything, I might be less interested in DLB. Then MRV likely jumps to #1 for me.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#56 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

Tom, can you explain the all access pass?
And what is your opinion on a DLB stickie?

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#57 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

Tom, can you explain the all access pass?

The all access package is only a rumor at this point. Hopefully it will happen but don't think it will. Earl has talk to a few people at DIRECTV and they said there is no such thing. But they were happy to see so many people wanting it. The package would be the Premier package which has the DVR services included. The HD package and as many receiver's on your account as you would like for $119.99.

#58 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

And I was too late :D.

#59 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

Im in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The all access package is only a rumor at this point. Hopefully it will happen but don't think it will. Earl has talk to a few people at DIRECTV and they said there is no such thing. But they were happy to see so many people wanting it. The package would be the Premier package which has the DVR services included. The HD package and as many receiver's on your account as you would like for $119.99.

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#60 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

DLB +1

#61 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

And what is your opinion on a DLB stickie?

Well, I never made my opinion on the DLB Sticky..

My opinion, just as it was when QUE asked with the original (and still the current)... Do you want DLB thread...

That is why I allow that particular thread to be bumped, time and time again.

I will make that particular thread, a sticky (Que's)... and all conversation can continue in that thread... All other DLB threads, will be refered back to that particular thread.

If that is the course that is wanted... we can make that happen, as I don't want the Q&A section to become a: "I want this X,Y,Z feature", "It's Time...", "I demand", "Let's boycott"... every other post (which I feel is what has happened the last week)

As for DLB:

DLB is not a feature of a system.
DirecTV 100% understands that there is a population of users that want DLB.

As I have said... time and time again.
DLB is on the list of requested items, however it is not in active development.

I don't know how many times I have to spell that out.

They KNOW there is a population that wants DLB, however at this time, they have decided to work on other features of the system.

DLB has not been officially, once and for all, eliminated from the possible future feature list.

As for why... I have asked, and as expected... didn't get any "official" statement, other then what I just typed above (it is on the list, but is not being worked on). I can ask a 1,000 times... and I know I am going to get the same answer, as that is in fact THE ANSWER

There is nothing else to give.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#62 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

The thread has been stuck.

All DLB Conversation is to continue in this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=62118
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...