Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pick only one DLB, MediaShare or VOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick only one DLB, MediaShare or VOD (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick only one DLB, MediaShare or VOD

1. MediaShare (17 votes [8.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.95%

2. DLB (93 votes [48.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.95%

3. VOD (80 votes [42.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

Vote

#41 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

VOD
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

I do not understand what is so hard about hitting the record button.

In the CE last week we got the ability to jump from recording to live and back while both are being buffered. I see no advantage using my 10-250 vs. this new approach on the HR20.

Because it is not as simple as hitting the REC button. If you decide you'd rather watch a different game, gotta confirm to stop recording. If you are up against the meager 100 item limit, you gotta tell it what course of action you'd like it to do (ie cancel something from the 100 item "to-do" list. And as has been repeated many, many, many times, Pause does not stay paused when you switch.

It is a poor workaround.

#43 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

From the proposed single DLB thread.....

"Even the current workaround is tedious. Recording two programs works but you CAN'T use the PREV channel button to toggle between the two programs. One of them always defaults to LIVE.
What is the purpose of the Single Live Buffer if it doesn't even remember the Pause Point? Do the developers really believe that the ideal scenario is to force the user to Rewind back to the point they left off?
Sure, if you want to toggle back and forth you can go into the Playlist every time and select the other program. Tedious and unnecessary. User unfriendliness like that needs to be fixed
."

Try it. You do not have to record two, just one. And prev does work.
I rec the show I want, play it and then just punch in the other channel you want, then Prev does togle back and forth.

#44 OFFLINE   St Louis Cardinals Fan

St Louis Cardinals Fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

I refuse to use the REC button when watching live because I don't want to first have to look at my playlist to see if there's any danger of one or more programs being deleted. This is my biggest issue with the "DLB simulation using REC on two tuners" ... Using this method means you could face conflicts with upcoming recordings and could force you to run out of space, meaning programs in your playlist will be deleted.

Instead, my work around involves two HR20s and a Harmony universal remote. Today I watched NBC's Wimdledon coverage on one box, and the Yankees game on YES on the other. I paused each DVR and used my Harmony "Activity" buttons to toggle between the two DVRs. The activity took care of switching AV inputs on the TV and home theater, so I just had to wait for the TV to refresh.

I would prefer to have DLB and not have to do this .. but I'll never press REC while this is an option for me.

+1 Well put!
St Louis Cardinals - 2006 & 2011 World Series Champions
HR20-700 ( using HDMI ) 1 TB ESATA
HR21-700 HDMI to 42 LCD TV (Vizo)
5 LNB , Zinwell 6 x 8
H20

#45 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

I just did. The recorded show remained @ the proper point; the unrecorded show lost its buffer!!!!

EDIT: ken, give me step by step directions like to a 10yo (no jokes pls) ill gladly test it!!!

Try it. You do not have to record two, just one. And prev does work.
I rec the show I want, play it and then just punch in the other channel you want, then Prev does togle back and forth.

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#46 OFFLINE   sagle

sagle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

Does mediashare in this poll include the ability to watch a show recorded from one HR20 on another?

#47 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

I don't want to vote. Because I want all three. But if I were in a desert and all I had was an HR20 (and an air-conditioned tent - and a couch) and I could only have DLB Mediashare or VOD - I would have to say DLB assuming I was going to be watching commercial TV. Because I use DLB to avoid commercials.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#48 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

Personally, I'd take MRV over DLB. VoD if done well would be nice although I have concerns about how well D's implementation will work.
Nothing wrong with asking for all three.

#49 OFFLINE   stogie5150

stogie5150

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

DLB. The other two are useless to me. DLB I use.

Like some others have said though, no reason we cannot have them all. Make all of us happy. :D
Equipment:
Azbox Elite HD FTA receiver, 12 foot Paraclipse C/Ku-band dish.
Vantage 1100s HD FTA Receiver, 8.5 foot Birdview C/Ku dish.
Scanning the skies for FREE TV is my game. :-)

#50 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

Until the HR20 supports wireless encryption, it will never be more than a DVR to me.

The HR20 itself doesn't support wireless in the first place. But you can plug in a wireless Ethernet adapter that does support encryption, and it would work just fine.

#51 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:16 AM

DLB!
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#52 OFFLINE   Elistan98

Elistan98

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

VOD

If there is a show i want to watch i record it. I just make sure my percent used stays around 50 so i know when i need to start watching stuff

If I watch Football I'm only watching the Bengals and I don't change channels unless they are doing that poorly in which case I don't want to watch football at all. (besides wife would kill me if I watched more than one game a day and some days i think that one game might do me in as well depending on her mood).

Mediashare is ok but am looking forward to when video is included as well.

VOD gives me the chance to have access to The Anime Network and/or The Funimation Channel since D* wont carry the linear channel. VOD could also be used in this way for channels they dont want to carry 24-7. It can also provide access to premium channels for those 1 or 2 shows your interested in but dont want to pay 13 a month for.

#53 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:08 AM

The point of the poll is obvious.

It is an opportunity to demonstrate that DLB is as important (or moreso) to the members of dbstalk.com as two of the features that D* is actively pursuing.

So if there is any debate at D* as to "should we" or "shouldn't we" put DLB on our to do list they can weigh that a statistical sampling of actual users consider DLB as important as other stuff they have already decided to do.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#54 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

When this poll opens up to the 16,000,000+ user base...

Is when we will know what a "great #" of subs want...

Polls are based on representative samples of the population in question. The results are extrapolations with a margin for error.

You will amost never see a poll taken of the entire community at issue when that community exceeds a certain size. Suggesting that a poll is not valid unless all 16 million subscribers are given the opportunity to respond is quite a stretch. It is a statistical sampling, a barometer of sorts, not a binding vote. No more...no less.

Even the widely renown Gallup polls typically only engage about 1000 people at a time for the latest round of questioning.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#55 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

First off, a forced choice poll of this nature is a common and legitimate way to gather marketing information. Of course in the real world we are not limited to just one. But it makes people think about what is most important.

As a thread, this poll has answered some people's questions about things other then DLB. It poll has done some good.

And it did give everyone a chance to rattle the old cliches again. :)

During football season, for me, DLB. I use it too much to surf the other games and the workaround just isn't surfing friendly at all.

Now, should the ALL ACCESS package come to pass where all my old DVRs don't cost anything, I might be less interested in DLB. Then MRV likely jumps to #1 for me.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#56 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

Tom, can you explain the all access pass?
And what is your opinion on a DLB stickie?

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 

#57 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

Tom, can you explain the all access pass?

The all access package is only a rumor at this point. Hopefully it will happen but don't think it will. Earl has talk to a few people at DIRECTV and they said there is no such thing. But they were happy to see so many people wanting it. The package would be the Premier package which has the DVR services included. The HD package and as many receiver's on your account as you would like for $119.99.

#58 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

And I was too late :D.

#59 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

Im in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The all access package is only a rumor at this point. Hopefully it will happen but don't think it will. Earl has talk to a few people at DIRECTV and they said there is no such thing. But they were happy to see so many people wanting it. The package would be the Premier package which has the DVR services included. The HD package and as many receiver's on your account as you would like for $119.99.

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 

#60 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

DLB +1

spam firewall