Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 is connected to internet but can't be seen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

Is there anything else at .2? If not then change the HR20 settings to .2 and see if that changes things.

Or maybe just change everything back to the default settings and start all over again.

NO :nono2:
The Buffalo ari station is a bridge, joining the wireless network to the wired network. It must have it's own IP address and not be in conflict with any other device on the network.

Assigning the HR20 the .2 address puts it in direct conflict with the air station and guarantees that the system won't work.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:34 AM

NO :nono2:
The Buffalo ari station is a bridge, joining the wireless network to the wired network. It must have it's own IP address and not be in conflict with any other device on the network.

Assigning the HR20 the .2 address puts it in direct conflict with the air station and guarantees that the system won't work.

Didn't know that. So don't do what I said on my post.

#23 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

The HR20 does not respond to ping or traceroute requests, so these will be of no help in troubleshooting.

#24 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

Click Here to view the available downloads for your wireless device.

If you haven't tried thei configuration utility, you may want to give it a shot instead of the web-based interface.
Alos make sure your firmware is the latest.

Reviewing the manual for the Buffalo adapter, there appears to be an option to assign the adapter's MAC address so that it mimics the MAC of the device connected to the first ehternet port.
That could also be tried, but I'd do it after re-checking everything else, including running a temp cable to confirm that the HR20 can connect via hard-wire, and re-checking all firewall settings.

This whole mess smells of Norton or McAfee to me.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#25 OFFLINE   BlueSnake

BlueSnake

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

I have the internet connection set up and tested, all is ok. I cannot see it on my computer network nor any music or pics on my menu of the HR20. I tried all of the helpful hints in this forum with no luck. In WMP11 file sharing no devices are listed.

Here's something that worked for me when I had the same problem.

Go to "Start" click on "Control Panel" then click on "Administrative Tools" then click on "Services" go down to "SSDP Dicovery Services" and double click. Make sure you are looking under the "General" tab. Now go down to "Startup type" and select "Automatic" from the drop down box, then click "OK".

Now find "Universal Plug and Play Device Host", further down on the "Services" list, and double click on it. Make sure you are in the "General" tab again, and go down to "Startup type" and select "Automatic" from the drop down box, then click "OK".

Now you can close the "Services" window and the "Control Panel" window. Now open up "WMP11", go to the top and select the "Tools" tab then click on "Options" then click on the "Library" tab then click on "Configure Sharing....", then enable sharing. Hopefully you will get the "Unknown Device" which should be your HR20 and all should work.

This worked for me, but to clarify mine was showing Internet and Network connected before I did this. I figured this out from looking at the error messages in the "Event Viewer" which is also accessed from the "Control Panel" then "Administrative Tools" then "Event Viewer" then the "System" which brought up messages including error messages. Just double click on an error message to see what's going on when you are trying "Configure Sharing".

If you haven't tried to configure sharing in WMP11 do that before you try what I did above.

Hope this helps,
Tim

FYI, I am running a Gateway with Windows XP Media Center Edition with WMP11. Am hardwired from HR20 to a Netgear WGR614 v5 Wireless router. My computer is hardwired into the router as well.

#26 OFFLINE   cajunrc

cajunrc

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

So far everything that was suggested I tried. The only thing I haven't been able to try yet is hard wire the HR20 until I get a cable long enough. I have turned off the firewall and virus apps. I have set the HR20 to default in network setup and rerun it. It say the connection is there and it tests good. The Buffalo converter is working and I can log into it from my browser. The converter and the HR20 and my computer is in the router client list. I have opened WMP11 and set it to sharing and there is no device in the view. I have restarted the computer, the router and the HR20 numerous times. I will keep trying.-

#27 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

Does you Buffalo have version 2.50 firmware? Apparently there is a problem with that one and 2.53 works better. PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy.

#28 OFFLINE   cajunrc

cajunrc

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

Does you Buffalo have version 2.50 firmware? Apparently there is a problem with that one and 2.53 works better. PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy.

The firmware version on my Buffalo converter is 3.130.10

#29 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

The firmware version on my Buffalo converter is 3.130.10

There are apparently two numbers (?) What number is shown under "model name"? Mine is WLI-TX4-G54HP Ver.2.53.

#30 OFFLINE   cajunrc

cajunrc

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

There are apparently two numbers (?) What number is shown under "model name"? Mine is WLI-TX4-G54HP Ver.2.53.

The converter I have is WLI-TX4-G54HP Ver.2.50

#31 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

The converter I have is WLI-TX4-G54HP Ver.2.50

That's the latest "official" version. I didn't try mine prior to upgrading to 2.53, but in another thread here several people said it made a difference. It's a pretty easy task from the advanced menu on the Buffalo. PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...