Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 and phone issues?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

For the past few days when ever i connect my HR 20 to my POTS (or Vz copper) , i get static and no dial tone on my phones. but when i unplug my HR20 my POTS is working perfectly. Has any one else had this issue with the HR20 and using POTS

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

For the past few days when ever i connect my HR 20 to my POTS (or Vz copper) , i get static and no dial tone on my phones. but when i unplug my HR20 my POTS is working perfectly. Has any one else had this issue with the HR20 and using POTS

I have never had that problem. Something you may want to try is if you have any phone line filters try putting one on the line going to the HR20. I don't have one so I am not sure if it will help or not.

#3 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

I don't have any filters, but this is still strange to me. My POTS with the HR20 connected was working fine with no problems until a few days ago. could something have gone bad with the HR20? like when it was trying to dial out it didn't connect right or something?

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

I know this is not going to help fix the problem and I am not what else you can try but you are not alone with having a problem when the phone line is connected. Here is a thread that someone posted yesterday about having a problem now with the phone line being connected now.

http://dbstalk.com/s...highlight=phone

#5 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

thanks for the link, i don't want a new hr20, i guess i will just wait for a new update or something, but again thanks for the link, i'm glad i'm not alone.

mods please close thread, as there is another thread relating to this same issue.

#6 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

Make sure you are plugging the phone cable into the phone jack and not the eithernet jack.. this has been done many times even by installers..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#7 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

i am positive i'm connecting my phone line to the PHONE JACK on the hr20-100, and besides the jacks are different sizes and on different sides of the receiver. the phone jack is next to the power jack, and the 2 eithernet jacks are next to the SAT in jacks,

#8 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

Could be a bad modem in the HR20. I had that happen once and that was the cause. May have to have D* replace your receiver.

HR24-100 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony One
HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony 880
HR21-700 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| Harmony 880

#9 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

I assume you've tried swapping out the line from the jack to the HR20?

#10 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

^ changing the phone cord, yes same issue, today when i had the phone line connected to the HR20 i tried a system test and the phone part failed.

(don't know the name of this menu) but i pressed ACTIVE and the right arrow and when to phone and tried to call my mobile number but same result nothing.

#11 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

Try plugging a regular phone into the line and see if you can get dialtone and dial out.

If that works try a system reset of the HR20 and then the phone test again.

If that doesn't work you probably have a bad HR-20. Backup the programming you want to keep onto DVD or VCR and call DirecTV for a new one.

I guess you could live without a phone line..at least for awhile.

#12 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:08 AM

Yes, it sounds like a bad modem in the HR20. Were there storms or power outages in the area at about the time this started to happen?

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#13 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:57 AM

My CID has never worked. Checked everything and lines are ok. The one strange thing is: when I have " notifications" turned on in the small window, when I check, it shows off. When I switch to off, it shows on. Phone line is active. Any ideas on this.

spam firewall