Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Determining level of compression

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flexed2death

flexed2death

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

Is there a way to determine how compressed a particular channel is? The reason I ask is I had my HR20 record the Wimbledon Mens finals starting at 6am PDT (in HD on NBC). I originally started watching it on my Samsung plasma TV and noticed a judder in the picture from time to time. This was a concern to me as the samsung TV I have has had reported issues with judder when horizontal tickers are present (another story not appropriate for this forum). After freaking out I decided to switch to my front projector as the display and noticed that it too had the judder I was seeing on the samsung plasma. I'm assuming that since I can see the judder on two different displays that the cause of the problem is the HR20 and am wondering if it was caused by the signal being compressed more than normal. Anyone have any opinions on my theory?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

Some SD channels look VERY good.. but others.. like LINK look so horrid! I would really like to hear this answer too. They should REALLY just make all the SD channels the same... lower the really good quality channels and raise the poorest channels. Be fair!
* HR20 DVR *
* Panasonic 42" plasma TV *

#3 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:47 AM

Is there a way to determine how compressed a particular channel is? The reason I ask is I had my HR20 record the Wimbledon Mens finals starting at 6am PDT (in HD on NBC). I originally started watching it on my Samsung plasma TV and noticed a judder in the picture from time to time. This was a concern to me as the samsung TV I have has had reported issues with judder when horizontal tickers are present (another story not appropriate for this forum). After freaking out I decided to switch to my front projector as the display and noticed that it too had the judder I was seeing on the samsung plasma. I'm assuming that since I can see the judder on two different displays that the cause of the problem is the HR20 and am wondering if it was caused by the signal being compressed more than normal. Anyone have any opinions on my theory?

Actually, the source for Wimbeldon feeds was not HD; NBC did the best they could with an upconvert, which may have een the source of your problems.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#4 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

Some SD channels look VERY good.. but others.. like LINK look so horrid! I would really like to hear this answer too. They should REALLY just make all the SD channels the same... lower the really good quality channels and raise the poorest channels. Be fair!

Not if I get to Grand Rapids!! Concerning the BASS!

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

You are assuming that the PQ is solely the responsiblity of DirecTV. Some stations are just horrible to begin with and cannot be made better.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...