Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2nd tv Diplexer problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ltbong

ltbong

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

Hello,

I recently connected a OTA antenna in the attic and used a diplexer to connect the OTA and my 2nd TV output. I also installed a diplexer behind the vip622.

My problem is that now my 2nd tv gets a snowy picture. I've double checked the diplexer connections several times and I believe I have it connected correctly. I did not have this problem prior to installing the ota antenna.

Any ideas or suggestions guys?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

You can't use a diplexor to to combine OTA and your TV2 output.
You need to use splitters.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

You can't use a diplexor to to combine OTA and your TV2 output.
You need to use splitters.

Actually you are supposed to use something called the Super Home Node.

#4 OFFLINE   SuperDNSTech

SuperDNSTech

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

You have to use a splitter.

From the vhf/uhf port on your diplexer(not the one behind the reciever)
run a line to the IN port of your splitter. Then from one OUT plug in the antenna and from the OUT other plug in to your tv. Put your tv back on whatever the modulated channel is most likely 60(air). You should be getting sat signal, then switch to your OTA channels and they should be coming in as well. If your modulated channel is one the is being used by OTA you will need to just change what channel you sat is modulated to.

#5 OFFLINE   tollhaus

tollhaus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

I have a similar question. I would like to add an OTA in the attic and use it for HD locals on TV1 and locals on two other TVs in the house (TV2 and a 3rd with no current service at all).
I don't know much about diplexers/splitters, but I currently count 3 diplexers installed in my house: the 1st in from the Dish out to VIP622 and TV2, the 2nd and 3rd right behind the VIP622 taking one RG6 line into two COAX Sat-in connections and the TV2 out coax. Does that make sense?
I'd love some plain english advice on what I need (as far as splitter/diplexer) and where in the lines they should be.
All the cable in the house run into an OnQ box, which is where the 1st diplexer is and I can get RG6 up to the attic easily from this spot. So I think the connections will be pretty simple if I know what I need to do.
Can the OTA be powered/amplified? The user manual for the VIP622 says no, but I wonder if that's true.
Thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:41 AM

You would be better off diplexing on the sat feed and leave the TV2 feed alone if that's possible.
My Toys:
Mitsubishi WD52628
Denon AVR-3806
Dish VIP622
Directv HR21
Pioneer Blu-ray
Monster HTS 2600
Control4 Media controller
Klipsch RB-25 Fronts, RC-25 Center
Klipsch CDT-3800-C In-ceiling rears x 4

#7 OFFLINE   tollhaus

tollhaus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

Ok, so I add a diplexer to the coax coming directly from the satellite?
There are three connections on the diplexer. Is this how I should connect it?
"SAT": (connect direct to dish), "ANT": (connect direct to OTA), and "IN/OUT:" which I'm guessing goes to the "SAT" input of the existing diplexer. Does that sound right?
Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

I have a similar question. I would like to add an OTA in the attic and use it for HD locals on TV1 and locals on two other TVs in the house (TV2 and a 3rd with no current service at all).
I don't know much about diplexers/splitters, but I currently count 3 diplexers installed in my house: the 1st in from the Dish out to VIP622 and TV2, the 2nd and 3rd right behind the VIP622 taking one RG6 line into two COAX Sat-in connections and the TV2 out coax. Does that make sense?
I'd love some plain english advice on what I need (as far as splitter/diplexer) and where in the lines they should be.
All the cable in the house run into an OnQ box, which is where the 1st diplexer is and I can get RG6 up to the attic easily from this spot. So I think the connections will be pretty simple if I know what I need to do.
Can the OTA be powered/amplified? The user manual for the VIP622 says no, but I wonder if that's true.
Thanks!

You do not have three diplexers. You have two diplexers and one separator. The one that is connected to the Sat. in connections is a separator. The OTA can be amplified unless you are close to the towers. If the signal is too strong it can cause problems. Tv1 will be the most difficult and you may want to find someone who knows what they are doing to help. You may have to change the output for tuner 2 so that it is at least 2 channels from the nearest OTA channel.

#9 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

Theoretically, if you use a splitter, it would probably work, but you could be broadcasting your TV2 signal via your antenna. You might want to try it and see if this happens and let us know. I would assume that the signal will wouldn't go very far unless you have a powerful amplifier.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#10 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

http://www.satellite...e_diplexers.htm

http://www.futurehom...m/v501pop1.html
My Toys:
Mitsubishi WD52628
Denon AVR-3806
Dish VIP622
Directv HR21
Pioneer Blu-ray
Monster HTS 2600

#11 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

This diagram is pretty good.

Posted Image
My Toys:
Mitsubishi WD52628
Denon AVR-3806
Dish VIP622
Directv HR21
Pioneer Blu-ray
Monster HTS 2600

#12 OFFLINE   tollhaus

tollhaus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

You do not have three diplexers. You have two diplexers and one separator. The one that is connected to the Sat. in connections is a separator. The OTA can be amplified unless you are close to the towers. If the signal is too strong it can cause problems. Tv1 will be the most difficult and you may want to find someone who knows what they are doing to help. You may have to change the output for tuner 2 so that it is at least 2 channels from the nearest OTA channel.

I concur that I have 2 diplexers and a separator.

As far as the amplified antenna will anything be damaged if I'm too close to the tower or is it just going to cause signal problems/static/etc. I'm ok with hooking things up and they don't work so I redo it. I am not ok with frying tv equipment and buying new stuff.

#13 OFFLINE   gilunionhall

gilunionhall

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

i have used the same wiring diagram that ssmith10pn had in a previous reply.

in fact the dish installer did it as part of our install to get to a part of the house that was only wired with 1 rg6 coax run.

gil

#14 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

The concern about sending the RF output to the antenna is that you would be broadcasting your 622 (w/o a license for the channel). You shouldn't be doing it, but might make it from the house to a shed/barn - where you don't have neighbors to bother.

Not important, but you really do have three diplexers. A separate IS a diplexer - it just happens that the two frequencies the separator diplexes are to split the 950-1450MHz and 1650-2150MHz which is different from what commonly used DBS diplexers do - separate < 950 MHz from > 950 MHz. Calling it a diplexer is quite correct from a technical standpoint, but a source of confusion with the "normal" use of diplexer here. Non-DBS use includes many other frequency range combine & split.

#15 OFFLINE   tollhaus

tollhaus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:41 PM

Not important, but you really do have three diplexers. A separate IS a diplexer - it just happens that the two frequencies the separator diplexes are to split the 950-1450MHz and 1650-2150MHz which is different from what commonly used DBS diplexers do - separate < 950 MHz from > 950 MHz. Calling it a diplexer is quite correct from a technical standpoint, but a source of confusion with the "normal" use of diplexer here. Non-DBS use includes many other frequency range combine & split.

Thanks for the tip. I had never even heard of a diplexer before Wednesday, so I'm learning fast.

#16 OFFLINE   tollhaus

tollhaus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

The concern about sending the RF output to the antenna is that you would be broadcasting your 622 (w/o a license for the channel). You shouldn't be doing it, but might make it from the house to a shed/barn - where you don't have neighbors to bother.

So if I have neighbors close by should I worry about this? I know just about everyone in the neighborhood is using D* and has a second dish to pick up locals, I think. Would I be bothering anyone?

#17 OFFLINE   tollhaus

tollhaus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

I understand the diagrams except there aren't connections for TV2 (or 3, 4, etc..).
How does this crude drawing look as far as adding the TV2 connection? The red arrows are pieces I'm adding, and the thick green lines are RG6 coax that is in my walls already (for my own notes more than anything). I added the "extra Sat in" and "out to TV2" connections on the DSS Rec., but it is supposed to be all one box.

Also, I was rereading the posts at the very beginning of this thread and I'm confused about the use of the splitter vs. the diplexer to get to TV2 feed. I would like to be able to watch locals live on TV2 and I understand that the 622 will not put them out through the TV2 feed as part of the EPG. Should the diplexer with the output to TV2 be a splitter instead?

Thanks for all the help!

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

I concur that I have 2 diplexers and a separator.

As far as the amplified antenna will anything be damaged if I'm too close to the tower or is it just going to cause signal problems/static/etc. I'm ok with hooking things up and they don't work so I redo it. I am not ok with frying tv equipment and buying new stuff.

It will overdrive the signal which will cause the tuner to lose the signal.

#19 OFFLINE   tollhaus

tollhaus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

Does the gain adjustment on the amplified antenna have anything to do with that? With the gain turned up only about 50%, the digital signal strengths for the channels that I want are all around 70-80 according to the 622.

#20 OFFLINE   tollhaus

tollhaus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

Oh yeah... when I make the various short connections, which ones MUST be with RG6 instead of R59? I have a ton of R59 jumpers around but I'd have to make the RG6 jumpers.

spam firewall