Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast Sports Northwest

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

Does anyone have numbers as to how many people are unable to see these games in the area because of them only being carried on CSNW? I wonder if there enough of us for those teams to even care about.

If you ask the teams, I'm sure they could give you very accurate numbers. They're bleeding and they know it.

The shift of the Portland area Ducks viewers to CSN NW probably whacked well over half of their would-be viewers given that the goducks website had directed them to Comcast 14 (yeah, I was one of these that didn't know until too late that the Ducks games had gone to CSN).

EDIT: The goducks website now says that live games are only available on CSN NW and KLSR (Eugene).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

Oregonian ran a report that includes the actual number. I tried to dig up the old report from their archive but it was gone. My impression was there were about 300,000 subscribers. That was a number before they reached a deal with Verizon FIOS TV and Ashland Cable. My guess is we are talking about 200,000 now.

There are not that many subscribers in the state of Oregon. We have about 1.4 million household in Oregon. There can't be 1 million subscribers without access.

I think your 200,000 might be about right maybe a little low. Fios hardly has any subscribers and the same can be said about Ashland cable. Maybe a little more but that is just Oregon. I think if you count in most of Washington which isn't getting CSNW either. You have the Seattle area, and Spokane plus SW Washington. There are a lot more households in Washington then Oregon. So, you might be right but if they include Oregon and most of Washington I think it would be close to 1 million subscribers or maybe even a little more. I read Comcast really wants to get CSNW in the Seattle area.

#183 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

So does Seattle just not have a team right now? If they get NBA League Pass up there can they watch every single game? Because if they are blacked out of Blazer games that seems really wrong considering that even Comcast up there doesn't get CSNNW. I seriously don't think they will ever reach a deal.

#184 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

So does Seattle just not have a team right now? If they get NBA League Pass up there can they watch every single game? Because if they are blacked out of Blazer games that seems really wrong considering that even Comcast up there doesn't get CSNNW. I seriously don't think they will ever reach a deal.

From what I have read the Blazer games would be blacked out on LP in the Seattle and maybe even Spokane. I'm not 100% sure but that is what some people were posting on the Blazers forum I go to.

The Seattle NBA team the Sonics moved and they don't have a NBA team anymore. Portland is now the closest NBA team.

#185 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

From what I have read the Blazer games would be blacked out on LP in the Seattle and maybe even Spokane. I'm not 100% sure but that is what some people were posting on the Blazers forum I go to.

The Seattle NBA team the Sonics moved and they don't have a NBA team anymore. Portland is now the closest NBA team.

So they can't get CSNNW on their COMCAST stations up there, yet they still can't see the Blazers? This is THE WORST situation fiasco in the nation.

#186 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

One more thing I have read is Paul Allen is using the Seattle area as a bargaining chip with Comcast to get the deal done. I'm not sure how Paul Allen can keep CSNW from showing Blazer games in Seattle but some posters say he can. If Comcast wants a larger market for CSNW they might have to make a deal. Let's hope so and I hope soon. Larry Miller the Blazers president hinted if there isn't a deal done after this season the Blazers will look to get out of the Comcast deal and find another one better for the fans. He said this in a meeting with upset Blazer fans about the Comcast problem earlier this year.

#187 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

I have noticed since I heard Mike Barrett and Mike Rice hint that there is a possible deal with Directv and Comcast I haven't heard one word about the problem. That is from the Blazers and all other sports talk shows. Before I heard there might be a possible deal there was a lot of talk. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad sign. I think if there isn't a deal by around Nov or at least early Dec there won't be a deal. The Blazer fans that can't get CSNW will really put the pressure on the Blazers to break this deal especially after the Blazer president hinted earlier they would try and break the deal.

#188 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

So they can't get CSNNW on their COMCAST stations up there, yet they still can't see the Blazers? This is THE WORST situation fiasco in the nation.

At this point, it doesn’t make sense for Comcast NW to be broadcasted in Seattle. They are primary an Oregon station. Their biggest offering to a Seattle audience would be of course, the Blazers. But for that to happen, the Blazers would have to claim Seattle in their DMA. That has not happened:

http://seattlepi.nws...69_media05.html

The other exclusive Comcast NW has is Ducks football. Important to some, but not huge up there in Purple and Gold country.

I doubt Comcast NW would be allowed to show the Blazers in Seattle without approval of the Blazers and the League.

I disagree with the assertion that folks in Seattle or Spokane will not get the Blazers game with League Pass. At least for now they are not part of Portland’s DMA, so they should still be able to see the games with LP. I guess they'll find out soon enough.

In regards to Paul Allen, remember he and Mark Cuban were the only two owners to vote against the Sonics move. He lives in Seattle, owns the Seahawks, and is the home of Vulcan as well. I’d imagine Mr. Allen wouldn't do anything that gets in the way of Seattle’s chances of landing another team quickly. It’s strange, because you’d think he’d have the most to gain by the Sonics leaving, or having a team in Seattle - but he’s not that type of guy….pretty admirable these days….

#189 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

I have noticed since I heard Mike Barrett and Mike Rice hint that there is a possible deal with Directv and Comcast I haven't heard one word about the problem. That is from the Blazers and all other sports talk shows. Before I heard there might be a possible deal there was a lot of talk. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad sign. I think if there isn't a deal by around Nov or at least early Dec there won't be a deal. The Blazer fans that can't get CSNW will really put the pressure on the Blazers to break this deal especially after the Blazer president hinted earlier they would try and break the deal.

Where did you hear them hint this? I haven't heard of this before. Does Satelliteracer know if anything is in the works?

#190 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

Where did you hear them hint this? I haven't heard of this before. Does Satelliteracer know if anything is in the works?

I was listening to MB and Rice on 95.5 a couple weeks ago. Mike Rice started to mention some good news about Comcast and Directv and MB told him he can't say anything yet. So, they changed the subject really fast and haven't mentioned it since. I will go look and see what day they talked about Comcast/Directv.

I went back to the Blazers forum that had a discussion about MB and Rice on 95.5. The discussion started on Aug 10th. So, MB and Rice must have brought this up on Aug. 9th or 10th.

The last thing I have seen Satelliteracer say about CSNW on Directv is he didn't think it would get done at least he hadn't heard anything going on.

#191 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:51 AM

That "talk" was over a month ago and it seems as though nothing has been done. I am starting to doubt if they will ever reach an agreement. I can't believe they won't disclose any information.

#192 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

It is considered bad form to publicly disclose terms of a negotiation while the negotiation is still underway. It isn't all that good an idea to share the resultant agreement in the grand scheme.

#193 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

That "talk" was over a month ago and it seems as though nothing has been done. I am starting to doubt if they will ever reach an agreement. I can't believe they won't disclose any information.

I have to agree this is awful!! I want my Blazers!!:mad:

#194 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

Still nothing apparently. This Saturday's Boise State at Oregon game is only on Comcast Sports Northwest and no one else in the country can see it. I can't even see the game in NW Oregon where I live and the place where I work can't show the game either because we can't get Comcast out here.

I think the game is available on O-Zone if you don't mind paying a little bit to see the game on the Oregon Ducks athletic site.

#195 OFFLINE   6tv's

6tv's

Mentor

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

I'm a little confused in the name of this channel because it is Comcast Sports Northwest but everything I read about this channel is that the programming is only about Oregon sports. If this is correct than I think they need to rename it to Comcast Sports Oregon (CSNO). If they intend to provide programming for the northwest , that being Washington, Idaho,and Oregon than the name is appropriate. I think this the reason why Comcast cable and DirecTV are hesitant to pickup this channel, along with the high asking price.

#196 OFFLINE   tuckerdog

tuckerdog

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

The original rationale that was given to start this channel was the feeling that Fox Sports NW was essentially a Wash., mainly Seattle, oriented channel, with only a few crumbs thrown to Or. sports. I am not saying it was or wasn't, so no flames, but that was the rationale. Essentially the corollary of what you are now expressing.

For those interested in getting this message out you do have a champion, John Canzano, the Oregonians sports columnist, has a radio show on FM 95.5 (The Game) from 3 until 6 PM. He discusses this issue daily and actually has a mantra of the fans being held hostage by Comcast and the Blazers. Today he described it as " 334 days of the Blazer fans being held hostage" The 334 being the number of days since the Comcast NW contract was signed.

He mentions he receives daily e-mails on this subject and a poll he did today had this issue as the fans number one concern as far as issues for the upcoming season.

I am sure e-mails generated from this site to Canzano on this issue, will help show people are concerned and allow him to keep up the pressure on the Blazers and Comcast from both his on air comments and hopefully future columns. No doubt this "bad" publicity is the best weapon we have to help push this situation to a happy conclusion.

#197 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

The game will also be available to peaple that are recieving the boise state broadcast of the game. This includes most of Eastern Washington, Idaho and a small tip of extreme Northeastern Oregon. The ducks feed will be part of ozone. Boise state feed will be available through Broncovision. Both feeds will be part of collegesportsdirect.tv. It will be interesting to see if espn game plan picks up the Boise State feed or not. Keep an eye on the following site for updated game plan info for that game.
http://mattsarz44017...2008/week4.html

Still nothing apparently. This Saturday's Boise State at Oregon game is only on Comcast Sports Northwest and no one else in the country can see it. I can't even see the game in NW Oregon where I live and the place where I work can't show the game either because we can't get Comcast out here.

I think the game is available on O-Zone if you don't mind paying a little bit to see the game on the Oregon Ducks athletic site.

#198 OFFLINE   tuckerdog

tuckerdog

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for the info.

Still sad we have to go thru all these machinations

Michael

#199 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:55 PM

Luckily the Beavers will be televised on ESPN for those with and without Comcast.

#200 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

Though I'm not sure many folks are gonna enjoy watching the Beavers get stomped on by USC ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...