Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast Sports Northwest

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

Looks like Verizon Fios has struck a deal with Comcast:

Perhaps D* will be next??

Yes, they have. Let's hope it creates a business model other carriers (OK, I only care about D*) can follow.

It is said that SD version will start on FIOS by the end of the year and HD in 2008. If D* inks the deal now, I suppose we won't see it by all star break.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,210 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

funny but i could have sworn i noticed an SD version of this in my guide, maybe a day or two ago.

#28 OFFLINE   dnemec123

dnemec123

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Here's another link that might allow some of us to help move the talks along:
http://blog.oregonli...tage_day_1.html

Dale

Be nice today!

#29 OFFLINE   masmith

masmith

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

This is just getting ridiculous.

#30 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,210 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:29 AM

my bad, i misread the guide.

#31 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 604 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

Yes, they have. Let's hope it creates a business model other carriers (OK, I only care about D*) can follow.

It is said that SD version will start on FIOS by the end of the year and HD in 2008. If D* inks the deal now, I suppose we won't see it by all star break.

remember Verizon Fios is not D* in negotiations with Comcast .... Fios has CSN Philly in Philly since comcast's paid politians also get plenty of local funding from Verizon ... I assume the same thing in the northwest is true .... IMHO putting any faith in a D* deal getting done because FIOS did a deal is foolish ...there is no correlation at all

#32 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:59 AM

remember Verizon Fios is not D* in negotiations with Comcast .... Fios has CSN Philly in Philly since comcast's paid politians also get plenty of local funding from Verizon ... I assume the same thing in the northwest is true .... IMHO putting any faith in a D* deal getting done because FIOS did a deal is foolish ...there is no correlation at all

But, D* and others still have one "Ace in the Hole," they can ask the FCC for commercial arbitration to get a deal done. As of now, neither D*, nor any other MSO has asked for that.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#33 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

No, Comcast had to offer CSN Philly to Verizon because they are not a satellite based company. The landline clause they are using to keep CSN Philly from DirecTV and Dishnet does not provide them protection from other cable companies. And despite what Verizon tries to call itself, it is a cable company. CSN Philly is on plenty of other cable companies in the Pennsylvania/New Jersey area than Comcast.

Is CSN Northwest fiber only? That is the only way the Verizon/CSN Philly model matches up.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#34 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

No, Comcast had to offer CSN Philly to Verizon because they are not a satellite based company. The landline clause they are using to keep CSN Philly from DirecTV and Dishnet does not provide them protection from other cable companies. And despite what Verizon tries to call itself, it is a cable company. CSN Philly is on plenty of other cable companies in the Pennsylvania/New Jersey area than Comcast.

Is CSN Northwest fiber only? That is the only way the Verizon/CSN Philly model matches up.

I don't think it is fiber only because I believe Directv carries CSN on their NBA league pass but can't offer it in their sports package. I might be wrong on this though.

#35 OFFLINE   desulliv

desulliv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:04 PM

I don't think it is fiber only because I believe Directv carries CSN on their NBA league pass but can't offer it in their sports package. I might be wrong on this though.

They do NOT carry CSN Northwest on NBA League Pass. I have League Pass and the Blazer games carried on CSN are blacked out.

#36 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:23 PM

They do NOT carry CSN Northwest on NBA League Pass. I have League Pass and the Blazer games carried on CSN are blacked out.

We're blacked out because we are in the Blazers DMA. Folks outside the Blazers DMA have been seeing those games. Messed up, isn't it?

#37 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

We're blacked out because we are in the Blazers DMA. Folks outside the Blazers DMA have been seeing those games. Messed up, isn't it?

This is so screwed up. I will consider buying NBA LP if it solves this problem for me.

#38 OFFLINE   desulliv

desulliv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:02 PM

This is so screwed up. I will consider buying NBA LP if it solves this problem for me.

Buying NBA LP won't get you the Blazer games if you live in the Blazer DMA (as pbg clarified above).

#39 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

But I don't think it will. If you live in the Blazers DMA (you look like you're in P-town) you'll be blackout. For example, I live out in the Gorge, and in the Blazers DMA. I have League Pass, and for the games that League Pass carries with the Comcast Sports NW feed, I'm blackout. However for example, someone in Seattle with League Pass, would receive those games - D'oh!

#40 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

But, D* and others still have one "Ace in the Hole," they can ask the FCC for commercial arbitration to get a deal done. As of now, neither D*, nor any other MSO has asked for that.

Not sure how useful the ace card is. We are only two months into the season. It probably is hard for Comcast competitors to prove Comcast did not offer reasonable commercial terms. Verizon agreed to a term. How do you argue Comcast is not reasonable if Comcast' archrival can sign it? I suspect this is not something on D*'s top level priority, either. As much as I like the young Blazers and their 5 game winning streak, they are not tier one, yet. Ducks are still in contract with FSN. I just can't imagine executives at D* to give in an inch.

There are about 1.5 million house hold in the region. Comcast Northwest pays up to $13 million a year to Blazers. Granted they are getting ads from Fred Meier, BiMart and all, you are still looking at about $1 revenue per subscriber per month (since not all households are serviceable). I suspect their beginning negotiation is higher than $1. I can see why D* will think that is too high.

#41 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Well, I saw a Blazers game Sunday from Comcast SportsNet Northwest on DirecTV.

I posted it here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...98&postcount=37
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#42 OFFLINE   FlyinV

FlyinV

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

No news on this I see :(

#43 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:30 AM

I live in the Los Angeles area and get to see all the Blazers games on the NBA League Pass. Several of those are produced by Comcast SportsNet Northwest. I know that Comcast was asking $2 per customer to carry the channel so don't expect them to ever be carried on Satellite at that rate.

My guess is that you'll probably NEVER see Comcast SportsNet Northwest on Satellite as Portland/Oregon is too small of a market. Don't forget, they have to offer it to all those customers that subscribe to the Sports Pack also, and the major draw (Blazers) will be blacked out to those customers. It sucks for me because I don’t get to see several of the Oregon Ducks games. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be shocked if they ever work out a deal.

#44 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

I live in the Los Angeles area and get to see all the Blazers games on the NBA League Pass. Several of those are produced by Comcast SportsNet Northwest. I know that Comcast was asking $2 per customer to carry the channel so don't expect them to ever be carried on Satellite at that rate.

My guess is that you'll probably NEVER see Comcast SportsNet Northwest on Satellite as Portland/Oregon is too small of a market. Don't forget, they have to offer it to all those customers that subscribe to the Sports Pack also, and the major draw (Blazers) will be blacked out to those customers. It sucks for me because I don’t get to see several of the Oregon Ducks games. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be shocked if they ever work out a deal.

You are hurting me. Who told you I need to hear the truth?

#45 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

I haven’t totally given up hope yet, but as we near the All-Star break, one has to begin to wonder what could happen at this point to make one side blink.

So at what point does either side request arbitration?….

….I’d hate to think you’re right in thinking Portland is too small of a market to to make it worth DirecTV’s investment. Especially when we pay the same monthly rates as everyone else in larger markets receiving RSN’s.

#46 OFFLINE   rkunces

rkunces

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

It stinks especially since the Blazers are playing fantastic this year and the production of the CSN Northwest is pretty good. They have a nice different scoreboard bug as well that is different from the other CSNs. If only Oden were playing too. Then maybe CSN Northwest could be on D* and in HD.

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,547 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

Portland too small? Are you kidding... see where Portland falls on the list of populations in the US... http://www.infopleas...a/A0763098.html It may not be the most recent numbers, but I doubt its very far off... This issue is all about money and Comcast wanting to make tons more on a new product than a reasonable carrier would pay.. When they come down to earth, ( I expect this to happen in about a year due to market forces) they will end up on every carrier, Directv and Dish included...

#48 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

Welcome to my world - "Comcrap Country" (Philadelphia, home of beloved Comcast)

#49 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

Portland too small? Are you kidding... see where Portland falls on the list of populations in the US... http://www.infopleas...a/A0763098.html It may not be the most recent numbers, but I doubt its very far off... This issue is all about money and Comcast wanting to make tons more on a new product than a reasonable carrier would pay.. When they come down to earth, ( I expect this to happen in about a year due to market forces) they will end up on every carrier, Directv and Dish included...

Ok, let’s suppose you are correct, and assume that Portland is a good size, RSN-less market that DirecTV wants to accommodate and get a deal done ASAP.

I think DirecTV and Comcast both have to know exactly what this deal is worth based on the several like agreements they already have in place. There has to be some existing precedent, right?

With that, if Comcast is truly asking some ungodly amount, which by all acoounts, seems to be the case, why doesn’t DirecTV choose to request arbitration?

Obviously there is ton of speculation on our parts, and though I find the negotiation process fascinating, I really have no idea how it works. Just seems if either party had any real interest in getting it done, they could.

#50 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

Yes, Portland is the 30th largest city in the US and shrinking. If you look at metro sizes, Portland is actually no. 23 and growing. But when you’re talking about the entire state of Oregon/SW Washington those numbers drop dramatically. Anyway, the $2 per subscriber being demanded by Comcast was reported in various articles, including one in the Oregonian some time back. They said it's considerably more than FSNW charges, and they carry in addition to an NBA team, three major universities.

Also keep in mind, D* would have to pay not only $2 per customer in Oregon/SW Washington, but $2 per customer for those subscribed to the Sports Pack. How many of those that subscribe to the Sports Pack will ever watch the channel? What would there be for them to watch that’s not blacked out? Perhaps some will tune in for the Ducks games, but that’s about it. With the Blazers being blacked out due to the NBA League Pass the major draw doesn’t apply on the national level. So there is absolutely no incentive for D* to carry this network or they already would be. I think Greg Oden returning next season is the only hope. If it's not picked up by then it probably never will be.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...