Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast Sports Northwest

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,431 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Well, I saw a Blazers game Sunday from Comcast SportsNet Northwest on DirecTV.

I posted it here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...98&postcount=37
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   FlyinV

FlyinV

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

No news on this I see :(

#43 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:30 AM

I live in the Los Angeles area and get to see all the Blazers games on the NBA League Pass. Several of those are produced by Comcast SportsNet Northwest. I know that Comcast was asking $2 per customer to carry the channel so don't expect them to ever be carried on Satellite at that rate.

My guess is that you'll probably NEVER see Comcast SportsNet Northwest on Satellite as Portland/Oregon is too small of a market. Don't forget, they have to offer it to all those customers that subscribe to the Sports Pack also, and the major draw (Blazers) will be blacked out to those customers. It sucks for me because I don’t get to see several of the Oregon Ducks games. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be shocked if they ever work out a deal.

#44 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

I live in the Los Angeles area and get to see all the Blazers games on the NBA League Pass. Several of those are produced by Comcast SportsNet Northwest. I know that Comcast was asking $2 per customer to carry the channel so don't expect them to ever be carried on Satellite at that rate.

My guess is that you'll probably NEVER see Comcast SportsNet Northwest on Satellite as Portland/Oregon is too small of a market. Don't forget, they have to offer it to all those customers that subscribe to the Sports Pack also, and the major draw (Blazers) will be blacked out to those customers. It sucks for me because I don’t get to see several of the Oregon Ducks games. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be shocked if they ever work out a deal.

You are hurting me. Who told you I need to hear the truth?

#45 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

I haven’t totally given up hope yet, but as we near the All-Star break, one has to begin to wonder what could happen at this point to make one side blink.

So at what point does either side request arbitration?….

….I’d hate to think you’re right in thinking Portland is too small of a market to to make it worth DirecTV’s investment. Especially when we pay the same monthly rates as everyone else in larger markets receiving RSN’s.

#46 OFFLINE   rkunces

rkunces

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

It stinks especially since the Blazers are playing fantastic this year and the production of the CSN Northwest is pretty good. They have a nice different scoreboard bug as well that is different from the other CSNs. If only Oden were playing too. Then maybe CSN Northwest could be on D* and in HD.

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

Portland too small? Are you kidding... see where Portland falls on the list of populations in the US... http://www.infopleas...a/A0763098.html It may not be the most recent numbers, but I doubt its very far off... This issue is all about money and Comcast wanting to make tons more on a new product than a reasonable carrier would pay.. When they come down to earth, ( I expect this to happen in about a year due to market forces) they will end up on every carrier, Directv and Dish included...

#48 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

Welcome to my world - "Comcrap Country" (Philadelphia, home of beloved Comcast)

#49 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

Portland too small? Are you kidding... see where Portland falls on the list of populations in the US... http://www.infopleas...a/A0763098.html It may not be the most recent numbers, but I doubt its very far off... This issue is all about money and Comcast wanting to make tons more on a new product than a reasonable carrier would pay.. When they come down to earth, ( I expect this to happen in about a year due to market forces) they will end up on every carrier, Directv and Dish included...

Ok, let’s suppose you are correct, and assume that Portland is a good size, RSN-less market that DirecTV wants to accommodate and get a deal done ASAP.

I think DirecTV and Comcast both have to know exactly what this deal is worth based on the several like agreements they already have in place. There has to be some existing precedent, right?

With that, if Comcast is truly asking some ungodly amount, which by all acoounts, seems to be the case, why doesn’t DirecTV choose to request arbitration?

Obviously there is ton of speculation on our parts, and though I find the negotiation process fascinating, I really have no idea how it works. Just seems if either party had any real interest in getting it done, they could.

#50 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

Yes, Portland is the 30th largest city in the US and shrinking. If you look at metro sizes, Portland is actually no. 23 and growing. But when you’re talking about the entire state of Oregon/SW Washington those numbers drop dramatically. Anyway, the $2 per subscriber being demanded by Comcast was reported in various articles, including one in the Oregonian some time back. They said it's considerably more than FSNW charges, and they carry in addition to an NBA team, three major universities.

Also keep in mind, D* would have to pay not only $2 per customer in Oregon/SW Washington, but $2 per customer for those subscribed to the Sports Pack. How many of those that subscribe to the Sports Pack will ever watch the channel? What would there be for them to watch that’s not blacked out? Perhaps some will tune in for the Ducks games, but that’s about it. With the Blazers being blacked out due to the NBA League Pass the major draw doesn’t apply on the national level. So there is absolutely no incentive for D* to carry this network or they already would be. I think Greg Oden returning next season is the only hope. If it's not picked up by then it probably never will be.

#51 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

Portland is not larger than Phillies. Neither sides blinks there, either.

I don't know how much Verizon paid Comcast. I doubt it is as much as $2. Whatever it is, there was an offer Verizon was willing to bite. Things doesn't quite make sense here. Verizon is totatlly focused on Comcast territory, whereas D* has more subscribers outside of Comcast service area. If there is a deal Verizon can accept, I really think it is more because the priority on this deal is not quite high on D*'s list. NFL is over, and we still don't have KOIN HD, did we?

If Blazers keep up the good work, with Greg Oden back, maybe they will get picked up my national TV a bit more often.

#52 OFFLINE   FlyinV

FlyinV

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

Had I known Koin HD and the Blazers wouldn't appear on D* in a timely fashion -- I may not have signed up back in October.

Oh well just over a year and 1/2 unless I get tired of waiting and just pay the termination fee.

Of course Comcast is no prize either with the sky high rates.
Perhaps I just need to quit watching TV :)

#53 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

Portland is not larger than Phillies. Neither sides blinks there, either.

I don't know how much Verizon paid Comcast. I doubt it is as much as $2. Whatever it is, there was an offer Verizon was willing to bite. Things doesn't quite make sense here. Verizon is totatlly focused on Comcast territory, whereas D* has more subscribers outside of Comcast service area. If there is a deal Verizon can accept, I really think it is more because the priority on this deal is not quite high on D*'s list. NFL is over, and we still don't have KOIN HD, did we?

If Blazers keep up the good work, with Greg Oden back, maybe they will get picked up my national TV a bit more often.

Phillies is a whole other ball game and can not be compared to ANY other rsn in the country.. They are truly a special case... There is not even an option for arbitration.

And what makes you think veriozn isn't paying that much for the channel? A new system with billions of dollars in backing from its parent, you pay whatever you need to to get any and all stations up and running because you have to scramble and take more risks to gain peoples interest and get them to try you out.... Directv is not in the same situation...

As for KION, I understand they have been bought and are now under new management. Their are probably two reasons that you don't have that channel... 1, they are probably still working out the finer details of the agreement, which I know can take a long time. In LA it took several months to get the agreement in place for KCAL, which carries all of the away games for the Lakers, and a large amount of Dodgers games. The station went HD big time (all their news is in HD too, about 8 hours a day) last January, and we just started getting it in December. And they are owned by CBS, their studios are connected, and we've had CBS for 2 years. The other problem they could be running into is setting up the pipeline from KION to Directv. Has anyone heard if they are trying to do it via OTA, or are they setting up a dedicated fiber optic line?

#54 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

Ok, let’s suppose you are correct, and assume that Portland is a good size, RSN-less market that DirecTV wants to accommodate and get a deal done ASAP.

I think DirecTV and Comcast both have to know exactly what this deal is worth based on the several like agreements they already have in place. There has to be some existing precedent, right?

With that, if Comcast is truly asking some ungodly amount, which by all acoounts, seems to be the case, why doesn’t DirecTV choose to request arbitration?

Obviously there is ton of speculation on our parts, and though I find the negotiation process fascinating, I really have no idea how it works. Just seems if either party had any real interest in getting it done, they could.

Arbitration right now is not a good idea if your Directv. Verizon just ponied up, and thats because they are being aggressive, and can not afford to not pick up this channel immediately, whereas on a larger scale, Directv can hold out. And yeah, Directv knows how much they are willing to pay, and comcast knows how much they want to get from Directv, and those numbers are very far apart.... If I was comcast, I'd probably do the same thing. Tell your biggest competitor that they can either pay a huge sum that would help offset your lost of customers, or they don't get the channel, and hope that customers jump ship and go to comcast... Its not just Directv that has not reached an agreement with comcast on this, because all the other companies out their except veriozn understand that if they give in, that comcast will have set a precedence that will hurt all the carriers in the long run. In the event of a long stalemate, I believe Comcast at some point is going to have to get desperate for this channel (they spent way to much on Blazers rights not to) and will come to the table with all the providers in the area, the only question is, how long will that be? Look at Lin. They are holding their customers hostage now too, and nobody is wavering. The sat companies can hold out longer than anyone, and Lin is going to be in big trouble if they don't get a deal done by Feb 2009. Unfortunately, their isn't a large technologically shift coming to force comcast to make changes by a certain point... I think Directv wants to carry every RSN in the country asap, but the deal has to make since...

Of course this is all just speculation, as you say, but knowing what I know about how companies think they can always make more money no matter who's feet they step on by playing hard ball, especially when their backs are up against a wall, I think that somewhere in here there is at least a little truth...

#55 OFFLINE   BJM

BJM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

Is the lack of CSNW affecting you guys who have LP? *That* would be annoying.
THR-22 (3/2012 - DirecTiVo) | 720p Pillar Box
HDMI to Panasonic 32" LCD | No OTA
Network: Mac OS 10.7.3 <-> Belkin router <-> WGA600N wireless adapter
Live TV rarely, trickplay often (esp. 30sec slip) | ~ 30 shows in Season Pass
DirecTV since 12/2004
[previous HR20-700 12/2006-3/2012]
[retired: TiVo Series 1 (!), 150+ hrs., 1/2000-1/2007]
Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto DMA

#56 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

Is the lack of CSNW affecting you guys who have LP? *That* would be annoying.

Yes. The Blazer games are blacked out here on LP.

#57 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

Phillies is a whole other ball game and can not be compared to ANY other rsn in the country.. They are truly a special case... There is not even an option for arbitration.

And what makes you think veriozn isn't paying that much for the channel? A new system with billions of dollars in backing from its parent, you pay whatever you need to to get any and all stations up and running because you have to scramble and take more risks to gain peoples interest and get them to try you out.... Directv is not in the same situation...

As for KION, I understand they have been bought and are now under new management. Their are probably two reasons that you don't have that channel... 1, they are probably still working out the finer details of the agreement, which I know can take a long time. In LA it took several months to get the agreement in place for KCAL, which carries all of the away games for the Lakers, and a large amount of Dodgers games. The station went HD big time (all their news is in HD too, about 8 hours a day) last January, and we just started getting it in December. And they are owned by CBS, their studios are connected, and we've had CBS for 2 years. The other problem they could be running into is setting up the pipeline from KION to Directv. Has anyone heard if they are trying to do it via OTA, or are they setting up a dedicated fiber optic line?

Because if Comcast's beginning position is $2, I can't imagine any negotiator will just say "OK". Be it $1.99 or $1.50, I just can't believe there was no counter offer made. Whatever that is, Verizon set a precedence. There is a rate that a competing carrier can agree to. I think it is going to be difficult for D* to prevail in arbitration. If D* wants a better rate, it is in their best interest to keep their mouth shut and test Comcast' patience. I don't know. If this drags on to the next season, I may try to suspend my account with D* and sign up with FIOS. My golf club is competing for Albertson club team championship against Pebble Beach team this weekend. It is broadcasted on CSNW. It is getting to be more than just Blazers. I am boycotting Comcast but I haven't had any beef with Verizon, yet.

KOIN's new parent company wants a deal that covers many stations. According to a recent response from KOIN posted by a forumer here, the disagreement is with other stations that they are trying to include in the same contract. I am more optimistic that will be resolved eventually. Hopefully before the next NFL season.

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

I've noticed that the Blazers games which are broadcast by CSNNW HD are only shown in SD on the NBA League Pass. Yet, when they simulcast a CSNNW HD games on NBA TV it is shown in HD. Anyone know why the LP doesn't have access to the HD feed? Most of the other games on the LP are simulcast in HD when broadcast in that format.

Are you sure that it is their feed and not the away teams? ( if so, They probably have all the distribution channels in place in the area for the SD feeds from the previous contract with fox, but maybe Fox didn't leave the HD equipment in place for Comcast to send the HD feed to LP subs. I'm totally guessing on that one. Better possibility... Or it could be a contractual reasoning in regards to LP and they have to send out the sd feed for every LP carrier this year, but not the HD feed, so they don't send it out in HD) And I am sure that the reason you see the NBA TV feeds is because the feed is supplied to that network via the fact that the NBA owns that channel and they have a stake in that channel succeeding and brings in revenue for the team and they are probably obligated to via contract.

#59 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Because if Comcast's beginning position is $2, I can't imagine any negotiator will just say "OK". Be it $1.99 or $1.50, I just can't believe there was no counter offer made. Whatever that is, Verizon set a precedence. There is a rate that a competing carrier can agree to. I think it is going to be difficult for D* to prevail in arbitration. If D* wants a better rate, it is in their best interest to keep their mouth shut and test Comcast' patience. I don't know. If this drags on to the next season, I may try to suspend my account with D* and sign up with FIOS. My golf club is competing for Albertson club team championship against Pebble Beach team this weekend. It is broadcasted on CSNW. It is getting to be more than just Blazers. I am boycotting Comcast but I haven't had any beef with Verizon, yet.

KOIN's new parent company wants a deal that covers many stations. According to a recent response from KOIN posted by a forumer here, the disagreement is with other stations that they are trying to include in the same contract. I am more optimistic that will be resolved eventually. Hopefully before the next NFL season.

I agree they probably didn't just roll over quickly, but I'm sure they paid more than Directv is willing. I think you said it best from Directv point of view... If D* wants a better rate, it is in their best interest to keep their mouth shut and test Comcast' patience; and I believe that they have probably sent the station an offer and said when your ready to talk about a figure in the same realm, let us know.....

#60 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

[quote name='ajc68'][quote name='inkahauts']Are you sure that it is their feed and not the away teams?QUOTE]

Yes 100%. It was the Blazers feed from CSNNW. They televise all home Blazers games in HD. I've seen plenty of other CSN games in HD on the LP. I wonder if this has something to do with CSNNW and D* not having a deal in place. I will have to keep an eye on Sixers games and see if there are ever broadcast in HD when using the Philadelphia Comcast feed (since they don't have a deal with D* in place either).

I've been watching the free preview this week trying to decide if I want to subscribe for the remainder of the season. If the CSNNW games aren't going to be available in HD, I will lose all my motivation to subscribe. The SD version is unwatchable.[/QUOTE]

Then I would have to guess that the reason the games are on LP is because of contract requirements between the league and Directv, and that has nothing to due with CSNNW being available on Directv.

spam firewall