Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast Sports Northwest

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

Are you sure that it is their feed and not the away teams?QUOTE]

Yes 100%. It was the Blazers feed from CSNNW. They televise all home Blazers games in HD. I've seen plenty of other CSN games in HD on the LP. I wonder if this has something to do with CSNNW and D* not having a deal in place. I will have to keep an eye on Sixers games and see if there are ever broadcast in HD when using the Philadelphia Comcast feed (since they don't have a deal with D* in place either).

I've been watching the free preview this week trying to decide if I want to subscribe for the remainder of the season. If the CSNNW games aren't going to be available in HD, I will lose all my motivation to subscribe. The SD version is unwatchable.

They ONLY time I have seen CSN Philly games in HD is during baseball season. They started showing some Phillies games in HD (Philly home games) as part of the deal to continue MLB EI.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:00 AM

They ONLY time I have seen CSN Philly games in HD is during baseball season. They started showing some Phillies games in HD (Philly home games) as part of the deal to continue MLB EI.

Again, almost like a contract loophole Directv found to get access to those games for all their subs that don't live in the Philly market by getting the agreement from the league and the teams, completely bypassing CSNP opinions, and does not in any way produce any kind of agreement between CSNP and Directv....

#63 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,799 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

I'm guessing that Comcast is hardwired to the Rose Garden for HD, but they don't have the facilities (nor the demand) to uplink HD.

#64 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

Here is a reply why KGW (8), the local channel that carries a few of Blazer games, is in SD.

"Thank you for taking the time out to write us, and for your answer, we don’t have blazers in hd because they would have to be fed from there end and they would have to have the equipment to broadcast in hd. Not all programs have it and they are one of them. So maybe in the near future they will add hd, but for now they don’t. Thank you for your continued support and for making KGW-TV your news and information source."

#65 OFFLINE   ColonelJulius

ColonelJulius

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

Again, almost like a contract loophole Directv found to get access to those games for all their subs that don't live in the Philly market by getting the agreement from the league and the teams, completely bypassing CSNP opinions, and does not in any way produce any kind of agreement between CSNP and Directv....

I believe it was MLB that forced Comcast (Phillies) and Cox (Padres) to allow their games in the Extra Innings package if they wanted to sell that package to their customers.

#66 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

For now, I am not picky. I'll take SD over nothing.

#67 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Here's the response from D* regarding the lack of HD games on LP.

<<<D*>>>I'm happy to inform you that we are working hard to provide an impressive lineup of NBA games in HD on League Pass. And while the Portland Trail Blazers games have not been available in HD, we have offered other games. From November to mid-December, we have ramped up our HD League Pass offerings, building towards our goal of providing up to 12 HD games per week on League Pass in mid-December.

Here's their obligatory response regarding carrying CSNNW on D*...

<<<D*>>>As fopr the CSN Northwest channel, please be informed that we do not have an agreement in place with CSN Northwest at this time, but we are in negotiations with the network and we hope to carry this channel in the future.

For the record, I have seen CSNNW games in HD when simulcast by the NBA channel, just not on the LP.

#68 OFFLINE   desulliv

desulliv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:49 AM

Here is a reply why KGW (8), the local channel that carries a few of Blazer games, is in SD.

"Thank you for taking the time out to write us, and for your answer, we don’t have blazers in hd because they would have to be fed from there end and they would have to have the equipment to broadcast in hd. Not all programs have it and they are one of them. So maybe in the near future they will add hd, but for now they don’t. Thank you for your continued support and for making KGW-TV your news and information source."

Paul Allen can't afford HD equipment?

They actually wrote, "fed from there end"?

#69 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:59 AM

Wouldn't it have made better sense if KGW would have contracted with CSN NW to produce the games so they could have been in HD OTA?!!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#70 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:20 AM

Wouldn't it have made better sense if KGW would have contracted with CSN NW to produce the games so they could have been in HD OTA?!!

So far, I have only seen KGW broadcasting HD games when TNT or ESPN carries Blazer HOME games. For example, tomorrow's games is marked HD. It will also be on ESPN. Most games KGW carries are ROAD games, which can't be produced by CSN NW.

I am sure there is nothing money can't solve. It just seems there is not enough in it for them to care.

#71 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

I replied to KGW about the HD issue again and they responded that it was a choice by the Blazer Game provider (CSN-NW, or Road Provider) to transmit in SD.

I don't buy that either.

HD in Portland on KOIN and CSN-NW is all I am waiting for.

#72 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

I replied to KGW about the HD issue again and they responded that it was a choice by the Blazer Game provider (CSN-NW, or Road Provider) to transmit in SD.

I don't buy that either.

I am more greedy. I also want OPB. I think we may see KOIN and OPB before CSN-NW.

#73 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

fortunately I am surviving with a $10 antenna I bought at Fred Meyer, I'm getting 75% signal strength so my picture on KOIN and OPB are good, but those crazy wind storms with rain and snow drop that number to 60%

#74 OFFLINE   desulliv

desulliv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

I don't buy that either.

My guide shows Cavaliers @ Blazers game tonight in HD on KGW. We'll see. Pre-game isn't HD. HD on ESPN hasn't been blacked out yet. Sometimes they'll black ESPN out if there's a local broadcast.

#75 OFFLINE   pdxguy

pdxguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

Only ESPN is carrying the game in HD. Too bad for KGW, because I'm sure I'm not alone in choosing to watch ESPN over KGW.

#76 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

I don't buy that either.

So you don't buy that Comcast doesn't want anyone to be able to see blazers games in HD unless its on their station? You don't think they are being selfish? I'd believe it. In the end though, I'd bet that they probably want more money for the HD feed, and when your local said no, they said here's the sd feed....

All in all, I think Comcast is just screwing people, and I feel for you... All the cable companys in my area are really screwing people over. That why I have Directv...

#77 OFFLINE   dnemec123

dnemec123

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

Well, why then is ESPN HD able to show the Portland/Cleveland game in HD? The same live game is on KGW, but in SD.

I don't believe KGW, and I certainly don't believe Comcast.

Hmmmmm.....

Be nice today!

#78 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

So you don't buy that Comcast doesn't want anyone to be able to see blazers games in HD unless its on their station? You don't think they are being selfish? I'd believe it. In the end though, I'd bet that they probably want more money for the HD feed, and when your local said no, they said here's the sd feed....

All in all, I think Comcast is just screwing people, and I feel for you... All the cable companys in my area are really screwing people over. That why I have Directv...

While I’ll agree with you that Comcast would prefer to think of themselves as the sole HD provider for the Blazers, I don’t recall KGW ever broadcasting a game in anything other than up-converted HD, (like this evening’s game) even when the Blazers primary RSN was FSN-NW. KGW is lame all by themselves.

Did I just accidentally defend Comcast in someway? Good lord, its time for bed.

#79 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:51 AM

Well, why then is ESPN HD able to show the Portland/Cleveland game in HD? The same live game is on KGW, but in SD.

I don't believe KGW, and I certainly don't believe Comcast.

Hmmmmm.....

Again, its all about contracts. ESPN has rights to NBA games in HD and they can trump anything comcast throws at them. I assure you they are higher up the totem poll than just about anyone else in this fight. Also, who knows, maybe they bring in their own trucks to link to the sats to disperse the HD feeds.

#80 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

I wonder.

I wonder if The Portland Trail Blazers can look at the contract they signed with Comcast Sports Northwest and see if there is some sort of "minimum viewership" expectation. Maybe even a "happy consumer" expectaion.

I could imagine that they are not hitting viewership numbers.

What would happen then? Void the contract? Force Comcast to refund a portion of the contract? Open the channel up to other Providers?

Anyone in the know?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...