Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast Sports Northwest

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,838 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

I replied to KGW about the HD issue again and they responded that it was a choice by the Blazer Game provider (CSN-NW, or Road Provider) to transmit in SD.

I don't buy that either.

HD in Portland on KOIN and CSN-NW is all I am waiting for.

So you don't buy that Comcast doesn't want anyone to be able to see blazers games in HD unless its on their station? You don't think they are being selfish? I'd believe it. In the end though, I'd bet that they probably want more money for the HD feed, and when your local said no, they said here's the sd feed....

All in all, I think Comcast is just screwing people, and I feel for you... All the cable companys in my area are really screwing people over. That why I have Directv...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   dnemec123

dnemec123

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

Well, why then is ESPN HD able to show the Portland/Cleveland game in HD? The same live game is on KGW, but in SD.

I don't believe KGW, and I certainly don't believe Comcast.

Hmmmmm.....

Be nice today!

#78 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

So you don't buy that Comcast doesn't want anyone to be able to see blazers games in HD unless its on their station? You don't think they are being selfish? I'd believe it. In the end though, I'd bet that they probably want more money for the HD feed, and when your local said no, they said here's the sd feed....

All in all, I think Comcast is just screwing people, and I feel for you... All the cable companys in my area are really screwing people over. That why I have Directv...

While I’ll agree with you that Comcast would prefer to think of themselves as the sole HD provider for the Blazers, I don’t recall KGW ever broadcasting a game in anything other than up-converted HD, (like this evening’s game) even when the Blazers primary RSN was FSN-NW. KGW is lame all by themselves.

Did I just accidentally defend Comcast in someway? Good lord, its time for bed.

#79 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,838 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:51 AM

Well, why then is ESPN HD able to show the Portland/Cleveland game in HD? The same live game is on KGW, but in SD.

I don't believe KGW, and I certainly don't believe Comcast.

Hmmmmm.....

Again, its all about contracts. ESPN has rights to NBA games in HD and they can trump anything comcast throws at them. I assure you they are higher up the totem poll than just about anyone else in this fight. Also, who knows, maybe they bring in their own trucks to link to the sats to disperse the HD feeds.

#80 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

I wonder.

I wonder if The Portland Trail Blazers can look at the contract they signed with Comcast Sports Northwest and see if there is some sort of "minimum viewership" expectation. Maybe even a "happy consumer" expectaion.

I could imagine that they are not hitting viewership numbers.

What would happen then? Void the contract? Force Comcast to refund a portion of the contract? Open the channel up to other Providers?

Anyone in the know?

#81 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

I wonder.

I wonder if The Portland Trail Blazers can look at the contract they signed with Comcast Sports Northwest and see if there is some sort of "minimum viewership" expectation. Maybe even a "happy consumer" expectaion.

What would happen then? Void the contract? Force Comcast to refund a portion of the contract? Open the channel up to other Providers?

Anyone in the know?

I think you may have it backwards....

Comcast is paying the Blazers. The Blazers don't care if 3 or 3 million people tune in. They get their money.

#82 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

I wonder.

Anyone in the know?

I think you are placing your hope at wrong places. Comcast paid Blazers three times more than FSN was willing to. They are the boss.

I am sure you are as unhappy as I am, but I don't think this bothers as many people as you think. Life goes on, whether we like it or not.

#83 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

I've been trying to get D* to tell me what is going on, but it seems even the CSR's dont' know anything... this really sucks..

from an email today

"Thanks for writing. I attempted to call you today regarding the issues in your email, but unfortunately was unable to reach you.

As was previously communicated, we have no further information to give you in regards to the Comcast Sports Northwest negotiations. There are simply no details that we are able to give, or even know at this time.

Thanks again for writing, we appreciate your patience and understanding."

I've lost my patience, and still don't understand.

#84 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,188 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

Neither Directv nor the program suppliers typically offer any comments on the progress of negotiations. It's been that way for quite a while.

#85 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

yea I know. makes one feel that "emails" and "phone calls" to the various providers, sat companies, channels, etc are all for not.

#86 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

I seriously don't think this channel will ever be on satellite. Blazer fans outside of the cities are completely screwed.

#87 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

I seriously don't think this channel will ever be on satellite. Blazer fans outside of the cities are completely screwed.

Yeah, it looks pretty grim for anything happening this Blazer season…which is a shame. Last night we got a little taste of the Comcast NW production with the game being broadcasted on KGW. I think it was the first one that was actually in HD on KGW. Looked great – I had forgotten though, how terrible the Blazers play-by-play guys are…They stink.

I just don’t get it. I can’t believe that Comcast could make more money by not making it available to other providers. I would think the per-sub amount they could get from DirecTV and Dish would be a lot more than what they’d get from folks switching to cable. Shows what I know -

#88 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,866 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

I just don’t get it. I can’t believe that Comcast could make more money by not making it available to other providers. I would think the per-sub amount they could get from DirecTV and Dish would be a lot more than what they’d get from folks switching to cable. Shows what I know -

I totally agree. Maybe their price is too high for CSN-NW? Maybe they're still in negotiations? :confused:

The same thing can be said about CSN-Philly. They could be making money from both D* and E*. I guess by keeping it cable exclusive they make more money because then everyone has to sign up for cable.

However, I know that D* does have access to the CSN-Philly feed because they used it the other night for a Flyers home game. And I know that wasn't on satellite, so that must mean they have it piped in via fiber somewhere.

:(

#89 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

I totally agree. Maybe their price is too high for CSN-NW? Maybe they're still in negotiations? :confused:

The same thing can be said about CSN-Philly. They could be making money from both D* and E*. I guess by keeping it cable exclusive they make more money because then everyone has to sign up for cable.

However, I know that D* does have access to the CSN-Philly feed because they used it the other night for a Flyers home game. And I know that wasn't on satellite, so that must mean they have it piped in via fiber somewhere.

:(

Yea, that’s the word supposedly. Still in negotiations, and they are asking too much. Too me its crazy, simply for the fact that if Comcast wants to make the product available, the rate shouldn’t be rocket science to figure out. There are already several deals in place with Comcast stations across the country – all the variables that go in to setting a price can be identified, and a fair amount should be fairly easy to be devised based on like programming already in place. Tweak the amount based on number of viewers and hours of type of programming being broadcasted.

Now, I’m sure there probably is some huge piece I don’t understand, but until someone points it out, I’m just going to believe that Comcast doesn’t want to make available, or it just isn’t worth it to DirecTV to pick up.

#90 OFFLINE   FlyinV

FlyinV

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

Anyone else notice.

Whenever they broadcast a Blazer game on KGW its in SD.....

I bet Comcast is holding back the HD signal only for games on the Comcast Sportnet channel. Thats really lame and cheap. Its not like there is a complete equipment change over between games as they go from KGW one night to Comcast the next night.

#91 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

the Blazers and KGW agreed to only 4 HD games this season. They attribute that to the fact that putting together an HD game costs more to produce. I don't quite buy that, but that is what I heard from a Blazer Rep.

#92 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:52 PM

yea I know. makes one feel that "emails" and "phone calls" to the various providers, sat companies, channels, etc are all for not.

I think instead we should find out who the head people are at these companies and post their HOME and CELL numbers on the web and pester them all day and night with these calls. The way I look at it is that Comcast has never shown an ounce of integrity so they'll get what's coming to them.

#93 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

Here is the latest (today) from CSN-NW - which is actually nothing.

Negotiations are actually still going on between CSN and DirecTV. We
are frustrated by this and know many others are as well. CSN is hoping
for and still actively trying to bring its network as wide or carriage
as possible in the Northwest.

Thank you for the email and we are deeply sorry for any inconvenience
this has caused.

Best Regards,

CSN-NW

#94 OFFLINE   Jeremy517

Jeremy517

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

So lets see....

DirecTV can't get anything done with KOIN, but Verizon and Comcast can. DirecTV can't get anything done with CSNW, but Verizon can. I think I see a common component in the two failed negotiations...

#95 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

So lets see....

DirecTV can't get anything done with KOIN, but Verizon and Comcast can. DirecTV can't get anything done with CSNW, but Verizon can. I think I see a common component in the two failed negotiations...

DirecTV has agreements with well over 90% (just a number pulled out of my rear, but probably reasonable) of the RSNs out there. DirecTV probably has agreements with over 90% of the locals that it has negotiated with. Yes, I do see a common component here.

I'm just trying to point out that there are two sides to every story.

#96 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

I am convinced that we may never see this channel on DirecTV.

#97 OFFLINE   pdxsam

pdxsam

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

Many thought you'd never see the SD KOIN on DirecTv either. Eventually it showed up. I would love to see CSNNW on DirecTv. And KOIN-HD! I suspect eventually it will happen.. just not as fast as I'd like it to.

#98 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:58 AM

And if most of the state’s cable companies and the satellite providers don’t get CSN Northwest picked up by football season, I would expect the Ducks to look for a new carrier as they’re really getting burned by this deal so far.

This is the only good thing about this entire situation. ;)

#99 OFFLINE   cyberized

cyberized

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:52 PM

PLEASE Direct TV - make ME a Customer: Work out a deal for Comcast SportsNet NorthWest. Then I can leave Comcast as my provider.

TKS A BLAZER Fan!

#100 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,188 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

+1
Without the Sonics, a lot of us will probably become Blazer fans.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...