Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast Sports Northwest

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

I would pay 2-5 bucks in a heartbeat for the channel. I just want to see the OSN games. As good as the radio broadcasts are, I have never had to endure half of the season on the radio before. This will test the fanhood of a lot of Ducks and the OSN viewership is going to be cut in half from previous seasons.

It's too bad the Ducks got roped into this same bad deal as the Blazers. I'm sure they were sold a bill of goods, but were never promised anything in writing. I just hope they didn't sign a 10-year deal like the Blazers did. At least KOIN is finally in HD, so there’s always hope…

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

Everytime I see there is a new post on this thread, I click with great anxiety. Everytime I am disappointed.

I am willing to pay that $2 myself.

Hopefully, Blazers are doing so good early in the season that they are carried on national TV more often.

#123 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hopefully the Blazers and Ducks are both among the elite teams in the nation this year. People in Oregon are going to be furious.

#124 OFFLINE   FlyinV

FlyinV

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:36 PM

Ah crap this channel still isn't here

#125 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

Ah crap this channel still isn't here

If you look at the listings for CSN NW, the only live sports they feature right now is roller derby. The rest is movies, a few fishing shows and video coverage of a local radio show.

#126 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

It's too bad the Ducks got roped into this same bad deal as the Blazers. I'm sure they were sold a bill of goods, but were never promised anything in writing. I just hope they didn't sign a 10-year deal like the Blazers did. At least KOIN is finally in HD, so there’s always hope…

Although I'm not a Duck fan (GO BEAVS), I am a Blazer fan, and I'm not sure anyone "got roped into the same bad deal".
I would assume that CSN-NW said "Here's a bunch of money so we can put your games on our channel." They didn't say anything about number of viewers.
The Ducks and the Blazers went to FSN-NW and said "look at all this money, can you beat it?"
FSN-NW said "No."

And the rest is history, the fans are getting screwed and the teams are getting paid. Yes, it was probably a little short sighted on the Ducks and Blazers to assume that by getting all this money from CSN-NW that they would also get a large audience.

CSN-NW is probably bleeding money, thats why they have such crappy shows on now, they are trying to stay afloat until the Blazer and Duck seasons where they might make some Advertising dollars back.

#127 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:41 PM

Actually, the teams didn't know they would get a poor viewership. The party line from CSN-NW is that the channel will be carried by everyone.

#128 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

Considering the crap that comcast pulls in Philly with it's sports channel to lock down that market I'm pretty sure Comcast is the biggest offender in this situation. DirecTV is stuck either paying a lot for a channel that probably doesn't warrant it and I'm sure the ducks and blazers where fed a story.

#129 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

Which is one reason the mtn took so long to get on directv. Once cbs took over the process a deal happened. The fact is if the blazers want it on satellite, they will have to tell comcast to stop trying to make a deal for them and do it themselves. Comcast almost always wants way more than what a channel is worth. They want espn type money for a channel that is not worth more than the fox soccer channel or other like channels.

#130 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

I read this on Yahoo Sports.

"• Last season, Trail Blazer home games were shown only on Comcast sports cable network; those not hooked up to Comcast were unable to get the games. Portland president Larry Miller said the Blazers “are doing what we can to prevent that from happening again,” trying to help Comcast make a deal with other cable and satellite providers.

“I’m optimistic, much more so than I was three of four weeks ago,” Miller said."

Original story:
http://sports.yahoo....ype=team_report

#131 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:39 PM

Let's hope that means good things are ahead. But I'll still be surprised if we see this channel at all this season. And ajc68, remember that people outside of Oregon can get ESPN Gameplan and see all of the OSN Duck games on that. But in Oregon, we will be blacked out. So someone basically anywhere else in the country can follow the Ducks better than someone in Oregon.

#132 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

And ajc68, remember that people outside of Oregon can get ESPN Gameplan and see all of the OSN Duck games on that. But in Oregon, we will be blacked out. So someone basically anywhere else in the country can follow the Ducks better than someone in Oregon.

I know, my family is in Oregon, but I'm in Los Angeles. I can watch all the Blazers games and most, if not all, of the Ducks games with my sports subscriptions. It's really ridiculous that I can see more games than my family in Oregon.

#133 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

I know, my family is in Oregon, but I'm in Los Angeles. I can watch all the Blazers games and most, if not all, of the Ducks games with my sports subscriptions. It's really ridiculous that I can see more games than my family in Oregon.

Just kind of makes you sick doesn't it? :barf:

I was actually a Sonics fan until.....Well you know.

Go Blazers!

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#134 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:42 PM

So if you set up a slingbox, your family will be able to watch them, too.

Am I in your family, yet?

#135 OFFLINE   cyberized

cyberized

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

This is exactly why I don't think CSN NW has any intention of being carried by the satellite providers anytime soon. If they did, they would lower their price to what everyone else pays. And I can't imagine a less attractive RSN for D* to carry as there's really no benefit to national viewers since the mid-sized region is split over two networks (FSN NW being the other, and they have a more attractive lineup... even with losing the Sonics). Besides, the only ones that can see the Blazers outside of the region have to subscribe to the NBA League Pass anyway. So that leaves the Ducks for the national audience. Are they really going to pay $2 per customer for that? It's blatantly obvious they have not intention of being carried by satellite at this time. We can only hope it’s sooner than later that they feel they’ve maxed out the number of people that will make the switch to Comcast Cable. I have a feeling that will be sometime mid-season at the earliest.

I here that.....BUT......Verizon FIOS worked out a deal with Comcast and carry CSNNW...........thus, it would appear that it isn't totally out of the picture for DTV to work something out too. Sure hope so. IF they do though I hope that DTV won't block coverage for those in the Portland area AND they are in HD - like on MOJO via Comcast.

#136 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

I here that.....BUT......Verizon FIOS worked out a deal with Comcast and carry CSNNW...........thus, it would appear that it isn't totally out of the picture for DTV to work something out too. Sure hope so. IF they do though I hope that DTV won't block coverage for those in the Portland area AND they are in HD - like on MOJO via Comcast.

You have a good point, but as I understand it, FIOS is trying to break into the market over here so they made a decision to pay the high carriage fee so that they could have something to sell to their customers. For the most part DirecTV has a product that their customers already want.

I say high carriage fee but no one has been able to show what the fee Comcast is demanding of DirecTV, nor what Verizion paid, but speculation is that it is nearly that of the ESPN carriage rate, not a mid level RSN that DirecTV thinks it is.

DirecTV on the other hand is saying, we are not going to pay this price that Verizion was silly enough to pay, and DirecTV will Comcast will continue to beat an impasse.

Now unfortunately that leaves us, the viewers, in the dark because neither side will budge. Or at least they haven't budged yet.

So about once a month I write DirecTV, Comcast and the Blazers to see whats up. DirecTV doesn't comment on current negotiations, Comcast rarely replies, and the Blazers would say we are hoping a solution will come, but we already got paid.

#137 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

I suspect that the rate that Directv pays for the other CSN channels would be fair to both parties.

#138 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

I don't think that Verizon has the HD feed yet. If you look at the CSN Northwest website and click on the channel location link, there is no channel number for the HD feed under Verizon.

http://northwest.com..._locations.aspx
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#139 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:21 PM

This is what they get for signing a contract with the devil, so to speak. They new this coming in and now they are going to have to live with it. Att Cable services stand against action cable sports network was what opened the door for this to happen. Comcast wants to keep it nearly exclusive to try and get people to sign up with them instead of going to directv or dish network. The high price helps this happen for them.

You have a good point, but as I understand it, FIOS is trying to break into the market over here so they made a decision to pay the high carriage fee so that they could have something to sell to their customers. For the most part DirecTV has a product that their customers already want.

I say high carriage fee but no one has been able to show what the fee Comcast is demanding of DirecTV, nor what Verizion paid, but speculation is that it is nearly that of the ESPN carriage rate, not a mid level RSN that DirecTV thinks it is.

DirecTV on the other hand is saying, we are not going to pay this price that Verizion was silly enough to pay, and DirecTV will Comcast will continue to beat an impasse.

Now unfortunately that leaves us, the viewers, in the dark because neither side will budge. Or at least they haven't budged yet.

So about once a month I write DirecTV, Comcast and the Blazers to see whats up. DirecTV doesn't comment on current negotiations, Comcast rarely replies, and the Blazers would say we are hoping a solution will come, but we already got paid.

#140 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

It sounds like FSN NW will be absorbed by CSN NW at some point much like FSN Bay Area was absorbed by CSN Bay Area. If a deal isn't struck before then, this move will probably solve the distribution problem. I'm not sure what the timeframe is on this happening. It could be a year or two, or next week. Who knows?

Where did you hear this at?

Thanks

spam firewall