Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast Sports Northwest

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

I might be thinking to far ahead but. if and when DirecTV picks up CCNW(Comcast Sports Northwest) will it be a natural RSN for us who live in the Seattle area,meaning not having to subscribe to the sports pack and to be able to see the pro sports i.e. Blazers ,since we no longer have the Sonics.?

This is a great point. Is Seattle now in the Blazers territory? Because if so, the CSNNW would be a channel for Washington too, not really just Oregon and that might make negotiations a bit more interesting between DirecTV and Comcast since there's a much larger audience now at stake and an entire media market of the Pacific Northwest is in danger of having everybody on satellite miss the entire OSN Ducks season and the entire Blazers season (now the northwest's team). Let's hope there is a huge push from both parties to come to an agreement very soon.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:57 PM

This week's Duck game vs Utah State will be the first atrocity of the year as a large percentage of the state of Oregon will be unable to see this game. My family in Texas can see it on Gameplan though...I seriously cannot comprehend how bad this situation is!!!

#163 OFFLINE   ChileDuck

ChileDuck

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:51 AM

This week's Duck game vs Utah State will be the first atrocity of the year as a large percentage of the state of Oregon will be unable to see this game. My family in Texas can see it on Gameplan though...I seriously cannot comprehend how bad this situation is!!!

Your family is out of luck too. Fox Sports Net, which has a contract with the Pac10 allows them to prevent the broadcasting of live game institutional telecasts and they have chosen to exercise this right for Oregon games. Oregon games will NOT be on Gameplan this year. :eek2: :nono:

I guess Fox is not happy that Oregon went with Comcast??? Unbelievable

#164 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

Your family is out of luck too. Fox Sports Net, which has a contract with the Pac10 allows them to prevent the broadcasting of live game institutional telecasts and they have chosen to exercise this right for Oregon games. Oregon games will NOT be on Gameplan this year. :eek2: :nono:

I guess Fox is not happy that Oregon went with Comcast??? Unbelievable

You know I'm getting sick of all these regional sports networks playing turf wars with each other. I say get rid of them all and make all sports available on a national basis. No matter where you live in the country, and with todays technology, you should be able to watch whatever game you want. Turn the games on when they start, turn them off when they are done. Get rid of all this regional and blackout crap.

:D

#165 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:33 AM

Earlier I had mentioned that the Duck games were to be carried on the Portland produced Comcast channel 14 (as still stated on the Ducks website) but I find that channel 14 has disappeared.

I may have to drop by the Comcast office and see what they have planned.

#166 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

This situation is seriously among the worst in the nation. I seriously hope we see this channel on D* one day but I'm not holding my breath.

#167 OFFLINE   ChileDuck

ChileDuck

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

Earlier I had mentioned that the Duck games were to be carried on the Portland produced Comcast channel 14 (as still stated on the Ducks website) but I find that channel 14 has disappeared.

I may have to drop by the Comcast office and see what they have planned.

Here is information posted on ducksportsnews.com

Portland - Comcast SportsNet 37
Eugene/Springfield - KLSR
Roseburg - KLSR
Coos Bay - KLSR
Bend - No carrier. Need an agreement between Bend Cable and Comcast SportsNet.
Medford - No carrier. Need an agreement between Charter and Comcast SportsNet.
Ashland, Coquille, Myrtle Point - Mixed coverage.

#168 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

Dish and DirecTV...SOL still. I don't think this channel will ever be on satellite.

#169 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Update: this Saturday's Utah State at Oregon game will be televised on O-Zone (Oregon's athletic site). So anybody that wants to see the game it's not much money and it's worth it...hopefully this doesn't become an issue later in the season though, as I would prefer to watch it on TV.

#170 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

Update: this Saturday's Utah State at Oregon game will be televised on O-Zone (Oregon's athletic site). So anybody that wants to see the game it's not much money and it's worth it...hopefully this doesn't become an issue later in the season though, as I would prefer to watch it on TV.

Any local news in your area if they're any closer to getting a deal done with with D*?

Thanks

#171 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

None yet, maybe Satelliteracer will know. I have no clue. I always just assume the deal will never get done.

#172 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:37 PM

Still nothing new on this channel?

#173 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

Here is a little rumor from the Blazers forum I frequent.

"A little bird told me last night that something is in the works with OSN/CSN/Direct! Not Dish though. This bird should know, trust me."

"Just letting you guys in on some inside info. It's not a sure thing. The bird works in the industry and might know what's going on. Who knows, it might not pan out, but that's the info I got."

The poster never brought up bad info before but take it with a grain of salt. Hopefully he is correct though. Here is a link:

http://www.basketbal...-duck-game.html

#174 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

We'll see, but I have heard lots of rumors before and been disappointed. I'll believe it when I see it. I wish Satelliteracer knew if anything was going on.

#175 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

We'll see, but I have heard lots of rumors before and been disappointed. I'll believe it when I see it. I wish Satelliteracer knew if anything was going on.

I agree and heard many rumors and they never pan out. I'm with you and will only believe it when I see it on Directv. I have heard sort of some hints from Wheels and Mike Rice on the radio that something is happening. I really want CSNW on Directv. I can't get Comcast in my area and am a huge Blazer and Ducks fan. I'm really hoping these rumors are true this time but probably not.

#176 OFFLINE   chuck5395

chuck5395

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

Does anyone have numbers as to how many people are unable to see these games in the area because of them only being carried on CSNW? I wonder if there enough of us for those teams to even care about.

#177 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

Does anyone have numbers as to how many people are unable to see these games in the area because of them only being carried on CSNW? I wonder if there enough of us for those teams to even care about.

I don't have the exact numbers but there are a lot of people that can't see those games in Oregon and SW Washington. I will try and look it up but if there is a million subscribers in the region I would say maybe 30-50% can't get Comcast or any of the other minor cable company's that carry CSNW. I think there might be more then a possible million subscribers - way more if we include most of Washington. Now with Seattle not having the NBA Sonics the Blazers are the closest NBA team.

I'm pretty sure the Blazers care a lot about getting all their fans able to watch the games. They are looking good right now but when the team goes through a slow time they will need all those fans for viewers, season tickets and single game sales.

#178 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:26 PM

I don't have the exact numbers but there are a lot of people that can't see those games in Oregon and SW Washington. I will try and look it up but if there is a million subscribers in the region I would say maybe 30-50% can't get Comcast or any of the other minor cable company's that carry CSNW. I think there might be more then a possible million subscribers - way more if we include most of Washington. Now with Seattle not having the NBA Sonics the Blazers are the closest NBA team.

I'm pretty sure the Blazers care a lot about getting all their fans able to watch the games. They are looking good right now but when the team goes through a slow time they will need all those fans for viewers, season tickets and single game sales.

Hmm, if Paul Allen were to buy Directv it would probably happen quickly.

Comcast doesn't even carry it in the Seattle area.

#179 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

Oregonian ran a report that includes the actual number. I tried to dig up the old report from their archive but it was gone. My impression was there were about 300,000 subscribers. That was a number before they reached a deal with Verizon FIOS TV and Ashland Cable. My guess is we are talking about 200,000 now.

There are not that many subscribers in the state of Oregon. We have about 1.4 million household in Oregon. There can't be 1 million subscribers without access.

#180 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hmm, if Paul Allen were to buy Directv it would probably happen quickly.

Comcast doesn't even carry it in the Seattle area.

You are too optimistic. To date, Comcast has not reached a deal with Charter cable, which Paul Allen owns. We are so screwed.

From my perspective, there are more incentive for Comcast to reach a deal with D* and E* today. They have good opportunity to claim the Seattle area fan base since there is no more Sonics. But this makes too much sense for it to happen.

spam firewall