Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using IR/RF extender for Harmony 880 to control HR20?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:20 AM

Posted this over at RC forums as well but wanted to get the DBStalkers opionion on it as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone successfully using an RF/IR extender for the Harmony 880. I am using the 880 with my home setup including the DirecTV HR20-700 HD reveiver. Recently the IR sensor on the HR20 has gone buggy. It only works if I am in perfect line with it and also most buttons double up or do not accept at all. I know it isn't the harmony, or it's settings, because I get almost the exact same results when using the original RC34 remote that came with the HR20.

The one thing I noticed though with both remotes is that if I am within a few feet and right on line of sight it works perfectly. This is why I would like to use an extender or something similar if possible. If I am not mostaken the device would have a seonsor that would go in front of the IR sensor and then my remote would be controlled via that device. This should fix my buggy IR sensor problem.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

I use an IR extender (Radio Shack) with my 880 and it works perfectly with my HR20-700.

All of my equipment is located in a large closet behind my TV room. I put the transmitter on the bottom shelf of my component rack and have the signal bounce off the wall and back to the rack. Works great.

#3 OFFLINE   Chesney09

Chesney09

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

Yep.. IR Extenders on both of my TVs for both of my 880s. I keep all my boxes in closets and hidden, so the extenders are required. They work great!
Hot Link Pro is the units I have been using. Check Amazon for them.

Posted this over at RC forums as well but wanted to get the DBStalkers opionion on it as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone successfully using an RF/IR extender for the Harmony 880. I am using the 880 with my home setup including the DirecTV HR20-700 HD reveiver. Recently the IR sensor on the HR20 has gone buggy. It only works if I am in perfect line with it and also most buttons double up or do not accept at all. I know it isn't the harmony, or it's settings, because I get almost the exact same results when using the original RC34 remote that came with the HR20.

The one thing I noticed though with both remotes is that if I am within a few feet and right on line of sight it works perfectly. This is why I would like to use an extender or something similar if possible. If I am not mostaken the device would have a seonsor that would go in front of the IR sensor and then my remote would be controlled via that device. This should fix my buggy IR sensor problem.

#4 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:40 AM

I use an IR extender (Radio Shack) with my 880 and it works perfectly with my HR20-700.

All of my equipment is located in a large closet behind my TV room. I put the transmitter on the bottom shelf of my component rack and have the signal bounce off the wall and back to the rack. Works great.

So do these work the way I suspect they do. Device placed on the IR sensor of the HR20 and then the Harmony 880 will be able to control it is if it were pointed directly at the sensor itself?
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#5 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

Yep.. IR Extenders on both of my TVs for both of my 880s. I keep all my boxes in closets and hidden, so the extenders are required. They work great!
Hot Link Pro is the units I have been using. Check Amazon for them.

Thanks fo the reply. What is the setup method for the device you are using. Does it sound like your device would solve my issue?

#6 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

One pretty minor issue with the bit that's supposed to stick to the IR sensor on the HR 20 (coming from the Harmony extender): it doesn't stick well at all. Probably have to use some tape or something hopefully less obvious to keep it on.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#7 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

Powermid works too.

#8 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone else keep em coming to. I plan to check all of them out and decide which is best for me.

Oddly though my remote problem solved itself since last time I wrote. Very odd. I will getting one of these no matter what though so I don;t have to worry about this again.

spam firewall