Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio problems with HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   omj

omj

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

I seem to be having some problems with the audio on the HD channels. All of the regular channels are fine but the HD channels the audio is off with the picture. It's like watching a kung-fu movie. It only does it on the HD channels. My over the air hd channels are fine also. Is this a glitch or what?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

I seem to be having some problems with the audio on the HD channels. All of the regular channels are fine but the HD channels the audio is off with the picture. It's like watching a kung-fu movie. It only does it on the HD channels. My over the air hd channels are fine also. Is this a glitch or what?

It's a common problem with the HD locals - there are many potential reasons most of which you can't fix. Some A/V receivers have a "sync adjust" control which allows you to correct for this, and you can buy add-on boxes also. And the next generation of TVs and A/V receivers using a full implementation of HDMI 1.3 will allow sync adjustment.
Clearing out the internal buffers in the HR20 can also help. Do a "restart recorder" thru the menu.....

#3 OFFLINE   Slip Jigs

Slip Jigs

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

I've noticed sync issues on some SD channels as well. There are various troubleshooting steps but usually what works for me is just to retune the channel if live TV, or rewind or FF a little.

#4 OFFLINE   omj

omj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

I tried resetting it with no luck. All the standard channels seem fine. I noticed it the other night on TNT HD and ESPN HD. My locals and standard channels seem ok.

#5 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,855 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

I tried resetting it with no luck. All the standard channels seem fine. I noticed it the other night on TNT HD and ESPN HD. My locals and standard channels seem ok.

This has been an interesting problem, in that there are several potential sources for the problem:

1. Many HD setups have it, with no HR20 involved. It is frequently seen with DVD players.

2. Some are associated with specific channels, like ESPN-HD, which is one of the worst offenders.

3. Some are the result of the HR20 itself and are temporary...they can be fixed by changing channels, etc.

4. Some appear to originate at D*, and will affect both HD and SD channels.

So, for any given instance it can be the program provider (ESPN-HD), the home theater setup itself, or the HR20 "gumming up" a bit.

I don't see much of it any longer....but I do still see it on ESPN-HD, and very occasionally on another HD channel. I have seen it OTA-HD on my TV, without the HR20 involved at all.

Really, there are things about HD television viewing that are just not ready for prime time yet. It starts at the studio and plays out right into our own equipment.

Since I went to an HDMI switching and upconverting home theater amp, I have seen a lot less of it than I used to. It's still there periodically.

The only "current" and "ultimate" solution is an external digital delay box like the Felston. This comes up over and over and over again, because there is NOT one single cure for all the possible sources....except something like the Felston, which makes up for a multitude of HD audio delay sins.

Short of that, get used to it, until HDTV matures a bit.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#6 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

I was having a ton of problems with everything on 110 yesterday and last night.
I was also getting heavy pixelation similar to rain fade which would indicate a weak signal to me.
It appears to be better today, but I only had a few minutes to check it.

I'm still only getting 72-79% on 110 while 119 and 101 are running at 90-94%.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

spam firewall