Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Which Satellite for HD Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

A new 5LNB dish was installed to replace an old 3LNB dish this past Friday. When checking the H20 box for reception we noted we got "OK" across the board for all satellites but then it suddenly it went to "failed" for each Satellite. The installer was convinced the H20 had failed and said he would bring a new H20 the next day, Saturday. He was a no show but over the past few days I've brought the H20 back to life and get all locals including the HD locals plus all the regular SD channels but none of the regular premium type HD channels such as HBO and SHO and the others in the 70-79 range that we received before. Same situation with the Philips HD800 receiver in another room, getting all the SD channels but no HD channels. I called support and they said the signal strength numbers I was seeing were good with 80 to 100 on all transponders and sats from the test screens but there was confusion, at least by me about the 99 satellite. I was seeing two 99's with one showing zero transponders and the other showing 32. The one saying 32 transponders was only showing a few of those transponders getting signals down in the 50-60 range. Can someone tell me what these two 99 sats should be getting and which satellite sends the regular HD channel signals?

The support lady said I have to wait 8 days for a tech to come out. She didn't speculate whether it was a bad dish, bad cable or bad receiver. The fact that the Philips HD receiver also isn't getting the HD channels makes me think the receivers are okay, but the dish setup has a problem. Thoughts?

Thanks,

VR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

A new 5LNB dish was installed to replace an old 3LNB dish this past Friday. When checking the H20 box for reception we noted we got "OK" across the board for all satellites but then it suddenly it went to "failed" for each Satellite. The installer was convinced the H20 had failed and said he would bring a new H20 the next day, Saturday. He was a no show but over the past few days I've brought the H20 back to life and get all locals including the HD locals plus all the regular SD channels but none of the regular premium type HD channels such as HBO and SHO and the others in the 70-79 range that we received before. Same situation with the Philips HD800 receiver in another room, getting all the SD channels but no HD channels. I called support and they said the signal strength numbers I was seeing were good with 80 to 100 on all transponders and sats from the test screens but there was confusion, at least by me about the 99 satellite. I was seeing two 99's with one showing zero transponders and the other showing 32. The one saying 32 transponders was only showing a few of those transponders getting signals down in the 50-60 range. Can someone tell me what these two 99 sats should be getting and which satellite sends the regular HD channel signals?

The support lady said I have to wait 8 days for a tech to come out. She didn't speculate whether it was a bad dish, bad cable or bad receiver. The fact that the Philips HD receiver also isn't getting the HD channels makes me think the receivers are okay, but the dish setup has a problem. Thoughts?

Thanks,

VR

So to make sure I am "getting it": you have your local HD channels [from either 99 or 103 SAT]. You're getting SD channels [101 & 119 SAT]. Your signal levels for 101, 110, & 119 are good. Both of your receivers are not getting the national HD channels.
If this is true, it sounds like an authorization problem. Your account needs to be updated by D*. I've had problems [similarly] that took several calls before "the light bulb" went off and it was fixed within a min or two.
What does the screen say when you tune to a 70-79 channel? [error message?]
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

So to make sure I am "getting it": you have your local HD channels [from either 99 or 103 SAT]. You're getting SD channels [101 & 119 SAT]. Your signal levels for 101, 110, & 119 are good. Both of your receivers are not getting the national HD channels.
If this is true, it sounds like an authorization problem. Your account needs to be updated by D*. I've had problems [similarly] that took several calls before "the light bulb" went off and it was fixed within a min or two.
What does the screen say when you tune to a 70-79 channel? [error message?]

Well, I was hopeful that it was simply an authorization problem, as you say, and that's why I called D* but that lady tried a bunch of stuff and it didn't work, that's why she's sending a tech next week. That's why I'm asking what channels the regular HD channels are transmitted on.......I'm seeing only a few low signal numbers for 99, the other sats look good to me, with numbers in the low 80's up to many with 100. Is 99 the HD sateliite for 70 through 79? I'm getting SD channels and locals and local HD too....but no regular HD channels. I get different screens, some say, "channel not purchased(721)", some channels say, "program isn't available" in this area, some just give me a black TV screen......but we had all channels in the 70 through 79 range before, so I don't get it.

VR

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

#1: Is 99 the HD sateliite for 70 through 79? I'm getting SD channels and locals and local HD too....but no regular HD channels.
#2: I get different screens, some say, "channel not purchased(721)", some channels say, "program isn't available" in this area, some just give me a black TV screen......but we had all channels in the 70 through 79 range before, so I don't get it.
VR

#1: 99 right now has nothing to do with 70-79
#2: 70-79 are all on the HD package. 721 shows that it is an authorization problem.

I spent several phone calls and about 2-3 hours with D* before they "got it".
Call back, if you must get transfered to either the card authorization group or try advanced tech support.

You have this on both receivers [new & old] right? this should be a clue. Your account isn't correct.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

#1: 99 right now has nothing to do with 70-79
#2: 70-79 are all on the HD package. 721 shows that it is an authorization problem.

I spent several phone calls and about 2-3 hours with D* before they "got it".
Call back, if you must get transfered to either the card authorization group or try advanced tech support.

You have this on both receivers [new & old] right? this should be a clue. Your account isn't correct.

That's very interesting......very, very interesting. Let me run a little more info by you to see what you make of it. As I've said the sat setup screens indicate good numbers on four sats, but 99 doesn't look good(which is what confused me because the support lady didn't seem concerned with the low numbers). One of the final screens for sat setup, the one that lists all sats and whether they are "OK" or "failed" shows all "failed" for each satellite accept one, don't remeber which one at the moment, I think it was 101, but all the others are "failed" despite the good signal numbers. And there is a "system test" screen and I forget what those parameters are...one of them is "receiver" and another is"LNB", as I recall, and a few other things I can't remember...but bottom line is that screen says, "OK" for each item listed. This "system test" screen with all "OK"s seems to confirm where you are coming from but that screen that shows 4 out of 5 satellites "failed" the setup process makes me wonder if indeed the H20 has gone mad. Any other thoughts?

#6 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

Are you registered at the DTV site? If so check out your programming package and see if they have it right. If it all looks right you could send your own authorizations out via the website too. If your programming is not listed correctly, then as VOS says you'll need to get a CSR to fix it. I've found using the e-mail CSR contact to be very effective also, as sometimes they respond more appropriatedly than the people on the phone. Just takes longer.

#7 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

Are you registered at the DTV site? If so check out your programming package and see if they have it right. If it all looks right you could send your own authorizations out via the website too. If your programming is not listed correctly, then as VOS says you'll need to get a CSR to fix it. I've found using the e-mail CSR contact to be very effective also, as sometimes they respond more appropriatedly than the people on the phone. Just takes longer.

Yes, I'm registered and I've just checked, again, to see what I can find and it shows my programming correctly with "HD access" and "DVR service" and so forth. I've seen references in this forum before about, ".....authorizations via the Website...." as you've mentioned but I've not been able to find the area where that can be done. It seems that I've drilled down throught every clickable link but I can't find this feature.....can you give me some clues?

Thanks,

VR

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

Being who I am [old school] I pickup phone call D* play the menu game & punch 721 [sometimes 724] and wait. Part of the menu has me wait while they resend it. Then if [when] that doesn't work, they will let me get to the CSR.

BTW: the software hasn't given a good reading for the SATs for the last year, so what you do see & have posted, is good.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

I am with VOS here. Friends who had the 5LNB installed after they had an HD receiver (it was an HR20) had this exact problem. Three attempts with DirecTV and finally they solved it. WITHOUT a field call. One day, DirecTV leaves a message saying they fixed it and all was well.

If all else fails, ask them to rebuild the whole authorization from the ground up.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:08 PM

Being who I am [old school] I pickup phone call D* play the menu game & punch 721 [sometimes 724] and wait. Part of the menu has me wait while they resend it. Then if [when] that doesn't work, they will let me get to the CSR.

BTW: the software hasn't given a good reading for the SATs for the last year, so what you do see & have posted, is good.

Okay, next time I have an hour to kill I'll try D* again. Thanks for your help.

VR

#11 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

I am with VOS here. Friends who had the 5LNB installed after they had an HD receiver (it was an HR20) had this exact problem. Three attempts with DirecTV and finally they solved it. WITHOUT a field call. One day, DirecTV leaves a message saying they fixed it and all was well.

If all else fails, ask them to rebuild the whole authorization from the ground up.

Swell, thanks for the info.

VR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...