Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"How To" Networking Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mknoebel

mknoebel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

I have my setup in the basement in a closet. I'd like to get my HR20 hooked up online It is not hardwired into there with an ethernet cord. (and it would be somewhat difficult to do).

But I have (in addition to my wireless DSL modem) a DLink Wireless Router. Is there a tutorial anywhere that explains how to make my Router see my modem so that I can set the router near my HR20 and hook it up that way?
Mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

Are you saying you have a wireless router with a built in modem and you have a second wireless router that you would like to put by the HR20 and connect them wireless? If so that can not be done. You will need to get a wireless game adapter with ethernet connection not USB. Then connect your wireless router/modem and the game adapter up wireless.

#3 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

When you say, "Wireless DSL Modem", are you referring to a true DSL modem that connects to a phone line and also has an 802.11x wireless router built-in; or are you referring to a modem that receives a wireless broadband signal from the local provider, but offers no wireless LAN fiunctionality?

If you don't know, simply post the makes and models of your equipment.

Either way, you're missing at least one more piece that you'll need to complete the puzzle; a wireless bridge to connect to the HR20's Ethernet port to allow the connection to "bridged" to wireless.

I recommend Linksys equipment like this one.

You could also possibly use the newer adapters that allow you to run ethernet through the existing house wiring.
I've never used them, so I have no testimony towards their reliability, etc.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#4 OFFLINE   mknoebel

mknoebel

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

Yeah. Right now I have a wireless DSL modem that I use. I wanted to see if it was possible to add my DLink Wireless Router to "see" the wireless modem I am currently using - which I would plug directly into the HR20 downstairs. But I see that won't work.

So are there any wireless game adapters that are recommended?
Mike

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

Yeah. Right now I have a wireless DSL modem that I use. I wanted to see if it was possible to add my DLink Wireless Router to "see" the wireless modem I am currently using - which I would plug directly into the HR20 downstairs. But I see that won't work.

So are there any wireless game adapters that are recommended?

This is the one I use on one of my HR20's and it works great. I know there are a few members on here using the same one. It is a Linksys WGA54G.

http://www.newegg.co...9102&Tpk=wga54g

#6 OFFLINE   mknoebel

mknoebel

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

When you say, "Wireless DSL Modem", are you referring to a true DSL modem that connects to a phone line and also has an 802.11x wireless router built-in; or are you referring to a modem that receives a wireless broadband signal from the local provider, but offers no wireless LAN fiunctionality?

If you don't know, simply post the makes and models of your equipment.

Either way, you're missing at least one more piece that you'll need to complete the puzzle; a wireless bridge to connect to the HR20's Ethernet port to allow the connection to "bridged" to wireless.

I recommend Linksys equipment like this one.

You could also possibly use the newer adapters that allow you to run ethernet through the existing house wiring.
I've never used them, so I have no testimony towards their reliability, etc.

The DSL modem plugs into the phone line, then sends the signal out wireless. It is an Actiontec 54 Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway (all printed on top of the modem).

The other box I was trying to set up is a DLink (Dl-524) 802.11g/2.4GHz Wireless Router (all printed on top).
Mike

#7 OFFLINE   mknoebel

mknoebel

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

This is the one I use on one of my HR20's and it works great. I know there are a few members on here using the same one. It is a Linksys WGA54G.

http://www.newegg.co...9102&Tpk=wga54g

Thanks for that link. So with this product, I just plug it in - it will find the wireless signal, I plug it into the HR20, and I'm good to go?
Mike

#8 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for that link. So with this product, I just plug it in - it will find the wireless signal, I plug it into the HR20, and I'm good to go?

You will connect the ethernet cable from the game adapter directly to your PC etherent connection. If your PC is wired you will need to remove the ethernet cable for a few while you set up the wireless game adapter. Then put the setup CD in that comes with the game adapter and it will take you through a few steps to set it up with you wireless router. Then disconnect it from you PC and connect it to your HR20 and should be good to go.

#9 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:51 PM

The DSL modem plugs into the phone line, then sends the signal out wireless. It is an Actiontec 54 Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway (all printed on top of the modem).

The other box I was trying to set up is a DLink (Dl-524) 802.11g/2.4GHz Wireless Router (all printed on top).

There's no use for your D-Link here.
Use the game adapter Bmore linked or the bridge I linked in my first response and you'll be on your way. Both devices are made by Linksys and truth be told, they're probably the same thing with different skins.

Here's the link again.
Wireless Bridge

And here's a Google Price Search
Favorite Quotes:

#10 OFFLINE   MnGuy

MnGuy

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

I am connecting my HR20 using the SlingLink Turbo poweline connection. I am very happy with it. One connection plugs into a wall power where my router is and connects to the wire via ethernet. The other, a four-port switch, plugs into the wall and I use it to connect my desktop, my slingbox and my HR20. It is fast and reliable. Super easy to connect.

#11 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

MnGuy,
That's great to hear, but I don't believe he'll be able to do that in this case.
I posted before he listed his Wireless DSL Gateway's model.
He's connecting that via USB, so it offers no ethernet ports to connect on the other end.
Favorite Quotes:

#12 OFFLINE   mknoebel

mknoebel

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the help and the links BMoreRavens and LR308er.

FYI, the Game Adapter linked by BMore to Newegg.com is $10 cheaper here:
Amazon $80
Mike

#13 OFFLINE   CUIllini

CUIllini

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the help and the links BMoreRavens and LR308er.

FYI, the Game Adapter linked by BMore to Newegg.com is $10 cheaper here:
Amazon $80

I set up this Game Adapter to work with my Linksys wireless router. I had to use the Linksys website because the out-of-the-box CD and instructions didn't work. I found a post on the Linksys site message board that was extremely helpful, and allowed me to complete the set-up without having to call support. Just beware...

I'll look for the post tonight if I have a chance...

Found it:

http://forums.linksy...s&thread.id=688

spam firewall