Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are the Spaceway's full?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,078 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

Reading through some of the D*10 stuff, I get the impression that D*10 has the capacity for 500 HD LIL's. Since D*11 is a twin, that should be another 500 as well. That leaves the balance of the 1500 on the two Spaceways.

With only 59? markets launched, even best case at 5 channels per market, that is less than 300 channels.

Are the Spaceway's full? Or was D* waiting to see if D*10 launched before using up the additional capacity on the Spaceway's just in case.

It seems D* has not announced any new HD LIL markets since October. (The ones launched this year were part of that announcement.)

Just wondering.

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:45 AM

The Spaceway birds are far from being fully utilized. From what I have been able to gather - they have not added more DMA's or more channels to existing lit markets in order to leverage their capacity in the event of a delay or some issue with D10. This gives them some needed flexibility if the worst happened - until they could get D11 launched (now set for early 2008). They obviously have contingency plans for this stuff, and the Sea Launch accident and subsequent delay of the D11 launch caused a detour. They still say that they are working towards 75 markets for HD lils by end of 2007, and should have no problems getting there with a successful deployment of D10 in September as expected.

Now that D10 is launched, once they get that thing working you will see a pretty agressive HD roll-out; nationals AND locals.

#3 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:21 AM

ScoBuck is absolutely correct. The last thing D* wants to happen is to reduce channels due to failures. Transponders do go bad. The new stats have spare transponders. They have taken a very measured approach to the roll out of new content. It seems maddening to us but it is necessary.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#4 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,078 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

The Spaceway birds are far from being fully utilized. From what I have been able to gather - they have not added more DMA's or more channels to existing lit markets in order to leverage their capacity in the event of a delay or some issue with D10. ........ They still say that they are working towards 75 markets for HD lils by end of 2007, and should have no problems getting there with a successful deployment of D10 in September as expected..

I figured they were keeping the capacity in case of a failure of D*10, but 75 markets is just 16 more than they have now. I would think they would have the capacity and contingency space to add more than 16 mare markets once D*10 is up and running.

Of course, I am in market #67, so I am hoping for sooner and not later.;)

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...