Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Top of guide black and font problem???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

On my mother & father's HR20-100, the top of the guide on the left side is black and the fonts that do appear do not appear correctly. The PIP appears correctly and all shows appear correct. Also, during the reboot, the progress bar has the same issue.

I've tried rebooting, then a 0-2-4-6-8 reboot, and I reset the box to defaults. I also tried disconnecting the HDMI cable and reconnecting it, but the problem still appears. The channels in the guide appear correctly, and the info banner appear correctly as well. What I haven't tried because of time available is yet is a complete rebuild because it would wipe the hard drive completely, or switching cables to component. They have a 50 inch Vizio Plasma TV connected by an HDMI cable to the HR20.

Any ideas???

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

On my mother & father's HR20, the top of the guide on the left side is black and the fonts that do appear do not appear correctly. The PIP appears correctly and all shows appear correct. Also, during the reboot, the progress bar has the same issue.

I've tried rebooting, then a 0-2-4-6-8 reboot, and I reset the box to defaults. I also tried disconnecting the HDMI cable and reconnecting it, but the problem still appears. The channels in the guide appear correctly, and the info banner appear correctly as well. What I haven't tried because of time available is yet is a complete rebuild because it would wipe the hard drive completely, or switching cables to component. They have a 50 inch Vizio Plasma TV connected by an HDMI cable to the HR20.

Any ideas???

You're going the right direction. You may have a problem with the HR-20. There was something similar posted that took a replacement to cure.
Try component. [might try S-Video too]
You could try the extended unplugging [longer than 10 min] just to see if re-powering will help.
Next would be "biting the bullet" and the reset everything.
Then it would be replacing the unit.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

Thanks. I haven't thought about unplugging. That used to fix just about everything on the old DTV boxes. I wonder if a new software release could fix the unit?

You're going the right direction. You may have a problem with the HR-20. There was something similar posted that took a replacement to cure.
Try component. [might try S-Video too]
You could try the extended unplugging [longer than 10 min] just to see if re-powering will help.
Next would be "biting the bullet" and the reset everything.
Then it would be replacing the unit.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

Thanks. I haven't thought about unplugging. That used to fix just about everything on the old DTV boxes. I wonder if a new software release could fix the unit?

I don't think it is a software issue or there would be many more postings.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

I thought it might be software related because the original software that shipped with the unit worked correctly (blue gui). The white gui is having problems.

I don't think it is a software issue or there would be many more postings.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

I thought it might be software related because the original software that shipped with the unit worked correctly (blue gui). The white gui is having problems.

Hopefully the powering down [and waiting] will cure it for you.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   speedcouch

speedcouch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

Actually I came on here tonight to see if anyone had a problem with the fonts. Mine started on Sunday, I think. Everything in the actual description of recorded programs or actually IN the guide is fine. It's just the top title informaiton is all screwing looking - like some sort of ancient lettering font. Tried changing fonts and nothing changed. This is a new unit I just got about 2 months ago. Not using HDMI, so that's not the issue. Figured it was a software bug.

Cheryl
Samsung HL-T5089S
Samsung LN32A550
Two HR20-100s
HR10-250
Panasonic DMR-E30S DVD Recorder
DirecTV since Aug 1995
Kenwood Home Theater VR-7060
Four JBL S310 II Speakers
JBL S Center II
XM Radio since May 2004

#8 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:10 PM

You explained it well. I might wait until the next software/firmware is pushed out to see if that fixes it. Otherwise, it is time for a complete wipe of the hard drive or a call to DTV.

Actually I came on here tonight to see if anyone had a problem with the fonts. Mine started on Sunday, I think. Everything in the actual description of recorded programs or actually IN the guide is fine. It's just the top title informaiton is all screwing looking - like some sort of ancient lettering font. Tried changing fonts and nothing changed. This is a new unit I just got about 2 months ago. Not using HDMI, so that's not the issue. Figured it was a software bug.

Cheryl

#9 OFFLINE   gibby289

gibby289

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

Mine did the same thing. Around the same time frame (Sunday) I haven't tried any reboots yet. Let us know how this gets resolved. Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

I walked my Mom through the CE version last night and forced an install of the CE firmware and it fixed the guide issue. So, I'm happy to say the unit is now the way it should be.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...