Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving from Tivo to HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DocTauri

DocTauri

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

Back when I was hacking the DTivo for fun as much as for added functionality. The key features that I hacked for were (in my own order of importance)
1. Multi-Room Viewing (transferring shows)
2. Extend storage capacity
3. On screen Caller ID

I don't care about extraction, so that was never a big deal.

So my questions are does anyone have any timeframes for the following:

1a. DTV has openly stated that MRV would be available on these units. Does anyone know WHEN? This is honestly the only thing keeping the 5 Tivos in my house.

1b. I don't own, nor have I ever seen an R15, but from what I understand, it's the SD version of the HR20 (same software). Is this the case?

1c. Will I be able to transfer shows between HR20 and R15? I know that you can't watch HD shows on an SD DVR, but will I be able transfer SD between the two?

2. At one time, I understood the eSATA merely allowed you to override the interal HD. Has this been fixed now to allow cumulative storage? (i.e. 250GB internal drive and 250GB eSATA = 500GB of storage capacity).

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the hacking community is like me, and would gladly trade my Tivii in for HR20 and R15's if these were all addressed.

Thanks,
Doc

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

Back when I was hacking the DTivo for fun as much as for added functionality. The key features that I hacked for were (in my own order of importance)
1. Multi-Room Viewing (transferring shows)
2. Extend storage capacity
3. On screen Caller ID

I don't care about extraction, so that was never a big deal.

So my questions are does anyone have any timeframes for the following:

1a. DTV has openly stated that MRV would be available on these units. Does anyone know WHEN? This is honestly the only thing keeping the 5 Tivos in my house.

1b. I don't own, nor have I ever seen an R15, but from what I understand, it's the SD version of the HR20 (same software). Is this the case?

1c. Will I be able to transfer shows between HR20 and R15? I know that you can't watch HD shows on an SD DVR, but will I be able transfer SD between the two?

2. At one time, I understood the eSATA merely allowed you to override the interal HD. Has this been fixed now to allow cumulative storage? (i.e. 250GB internal drive and 250GB eSATA = 500GB of storage capacity).

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the hacking community is like me, and would gladly trade my Tivii in for HR20 and R15's if these were all addressed.

Thanks,
Doc

Multi-room viewing is not out yet.

The R15 and HR20 do NOT use the same software. They have a very similar UI. You cannot transfer shows between any Units at present.

Using eSATA is an override not and addition.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#3 OFFLINE   DocTauri

DocTauri

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

Multi-room viewing is not out yet.

The R15 and HR20 do NOT use the same software. They have a very similar UI. You cannot transfer shows between any Units at present.

Using eSATA is an override not and addition.

Thanks for the info. Any idea if/when these things may be *rectified*?

Thanks,
Doc

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath for any of them.

MRV between HR20's is at best a rumor with no solid foundation that anyone has documented or qualified. In other words, it may or may not happen. If it does, I imagine it will be a ways down the road, as there are several other things they are specifically working on that are not yet available.

MRV between HR20's and R15's is even less likely. While I wouldn't say impossible, I would say very unlikely.

I do not know where the eSATA capabilities stand.

Carl

Protected By... spam firewall...And...