Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD content on a SD tv?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 926 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:12 PM

How do shows in HD look on a SD tv? Is it even possible to do so? I don't see us getting a HD tv for years, but wouldn't mind having channels HD only channels like HDnet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:15 PM

The HD tuners(H20/HR20) both have S-video out and can be hooked to a SD TV very easily. The piture quality from an HD broadcast on a conventional TV is outstanding. You can format the outputs of either tuner to match your television.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

How do shows in HD look on a SD tv? Is it even possible to do so? I don't see us getting a HD tv for years, but wouldn't mind having channels HD only channels like HDnet.

Several years ago, wanting a 16:9 TV to watch DVDs on, I decided I wanted to get an HD receiver so I could watch TV programming in 16:9 as well... so I bought a DirecTV Hughes HTL-HD receiver to hook up to this 16:9 TV and the quality was GREAT!! I upgraded to a HDTV a few years later after that...

I also recently got a TiVo Series 3 HDTV recorder to hook up to a Hitachi 50-inch (4x3) SDTV as well. I haven't hooked it up yet... but I once had my HR10-250 (DirecTV HD-TiVo) hooked up to it (watching HDNet... interestingly enough) and it looked great.

Blu-ray and HD DVD also makes a considerable difference (depending on the title) on an SDTV as well...

~Alan

#4 OFFLINE   allargon

allargon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:37 PM

My 622 sends a SD signal of downconverted HD channels to my 27" Panasonic CRT. It doesn't look bad at all. There's even a format button on the remote control so I can switch to letterbox (remember that on widescreen DVD's) to see the whole pic if I want.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

It will depend upon the quality of your SD TV of course... but the S-video and/or composite video outputs from most HD receivers will be about the highest quality (on the HD channels) your SD TV has ever seen input.

I have watched some nice S-video output from my HD receiver on my 32" TV... and it looks really sharp.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

It will depend upon the quality of your SD TV of course... but the S-video and/or composite video outputs from most HD receivers will be about the highest quality (on the HD channels) your SD TV has ever seen input.

I have watched some nice S-video output from my HD receiver on my 32" TV... and it looks really sharp.

I currently have my HR10-250 (well, actually, my TiVo Series 3) hooked up to a box (I forget what they're called) via composite, and then from that box via RG6 to a Panasonic VCR hooked up to a 20-inch flat-screen Panasonic TV, and the HD is EVEN very impressive on that... so while S-Video and composite will certainly give the best picture, the setup I have above transmitting via RG6 looks great as well...

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...