Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD content question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TivoJack

TivoJack

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

Currently, I believe that TNT is available on HD. Additional networks like
USA, FC, SCI-FI, etc will be available in the next 6-12 months with the
addition of the new sat that was just successfully launched a few days
ago.

My question concerns the content of the shows that are going to be on
these HD channels... how much content will be filmed in HD and how
much will be filmed in SD?

The TNT show 'The Closer' for instance... is it currently HD quality on TNT HD
or is it SD quality re-broadcast on TNT HD? I really like watching OTA stuff
on HD when it's a HD show.... when it's a SD show... it just looks bad....
even on a HD Tv....

Just wondering if anyone knows or has speculated on this.

Thanks - jack

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

ago.

even on a HD Tv....

Thanks - jack

:welcome_s to DBStalk

Not sure how many shows will be in HD on each channel but a lot of the HD channels will be starting in mid September not 6 to 12 months from now.

#3 OFFLINE   TivoJack

TivoJack

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

:welcome_s to DBStalk

Not sure how many shows will be in HD on each channel but a lot of the HD channels will be starting in mid September not 6 to 12 months from now.

I tend to go to the pessimistic side... ;) Have they announced a pricing structure
for these 'september' HD channels and what they will be? Also... as new channels
go on line... will the pricing increase too....

I really want HD... but I'm afraid of the price and I'm not sure about the cost
of equipment.... I've got several S2 DTV Tivos right now... they will have to be
replaced if / when I go to HD....

jack

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

I tend to go to the pessimistic side... ;) Have they announced a pricing structure
for these 'september' HD channels and what they will be? Also... as new channels
go on line... will the pricing increase too....

I really want HD... but I'm afraid of the price and I'm not sure about the cost
of equipment.... I've got several S2 DTV Tivos right now... they will have to be
replaced if / when I go to HD....

jack

DIRECTV said they will not raise the price of the HD package when the new HD channels launch. How long they will go before they do raise it no one knows. Some members think it will be March 2008 when DIRECTV makes whatever changes they make to the prices. As far as equipment goes you will have to call and see what they offer you. They seem to offer a lot of different deals depending on how much you pay every month. Is your bill paid on time. How long you have been a customer. Are you under contract right now. So I would just call and see what they will do for you.

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,250 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

Some channels (like Discovery HD) are full HD. Some are a mix. The movie channels are mostly HD but often the movies are not in OAR (Original Aspect Ration).

TNT plays the least amount of true HD and when they play SD stuff, they stretch it at the sides to make me physcially ill.

The other existing HD stations have quite a bit HD content. Some of those coming (like NGCHD and MHD) are total HD. Some like A&E are a mix. They show HD when they have HD source and SD when they do not.

I would think that the new channels will be a complete mix with more and more HD content happening.

Now, unless the station that is running SD stretches it like TNT, even SD upconverted to HD looks much better than SD not upconverted. In fact, it is often hard to tell the difference. For example, ESPN showed SD widescreen for Wimbledon and it looked very good. About DVD quality.

Specifically, the Closer is produced and shown in HD.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,250 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

Any price increase in March will probably be a base price increase. DirecTV has not gone hogwild on increases of the base packages. The things that have gone up have been the sports packages (baseball, football, etc.). Somehow I doubt they will suddenly start jacking up prices for HD since they came up with this HD access fee thing just this year (rather than charging for the actual channels) which will give them a pretty strong revenue stream for some time.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#7 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:33 PM

ago.

even on a HD Tv....

Thanks - jack

I look at it differently. SD programming on HD still looks better than SD channels. How much better will depend on how good your HDTV upconvert the SD channels. The difference for my older RPTV is very prominent.

To me, there is not a "to HD or not to HD" issue. There is only a when to HD issue.

#8 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

To me it is not how much of the channel is in HD, But if it is in Hd I want to be able to watch it in HD. I don't care if only one show is in HD and the rest are in SD as long as I have the opportunity to view that one show in Hd thats all that matters. A lot of people cry, they only have one show in HD or they whine, they stretch the SD shows when they are not in HD! WHO CARES!!! It does not matter!! The cost of the HD programing is $9.99 PERIOD. As long as when its in HD, we can watch it in HD thats all that matters. I want the opportunity to watch ALL HD when its available. SD programing will be around for a long time still. D* is giving me the best chance to get all the HD and thats what I want.

#9 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

The TNT show 'The Closer' for instance... is it currently HD quality on TNT HD or is it SD quality re-broadcast on TNT HD? I really like watching OTA stuff on HD when it's a HD show.... when it's a SD show... it just looks bad.... even on a HD Tv....

I believe the Closer is in HD. There are definitely other originals on cable that are shot in HD (or film which allows for HD) but broadcast originally for the moment -- Battlestar on Sci-Fi for example. With SciFi-HD we should see first run HD versions of it.

#10 OFFLINE   flyingtigerfan

flyingtigerfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

I think you'll see a lot more content in HD as these channels start rolling out. I mean, you're not going to see M*A*S*H in HD or anything, but as the capacity to broadcast and receive in HD explodes in the next 2 years you'll see just about all new programming produced in HD, and thus available to us.

It's been a chicken-and-the-egg thing. There hasn't been as much programming produced in HD because there's been very little outlet for it. There haven't been as many outlets for HD because there hasn't been much (relatively speaking)produced in it. That's all changing very rapidly.

TNT-HD sucks. If they're going to broadcast material produced in SD, leave the dang aspect ratio at 4:3 and let US decide whether we want to stretch it out like that. It's very poorly done, and I don't understand why they do it that way. That said, their HD programming comes through very well.

Looking forward to more and more HD! I'd love to get more College Football in HD - I hope ABC regional (we get a lot of that in our area) goes HD soon. Haven't heard about 2007.

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,250 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

I mean, you're not going to see M*A*S*H in HD or anything,

You might. It depends on how M*A*S*H was filmed. Northern Exposure and Hogan's Heroes are on in HD. It may be 4:3 HD, but HD nonetheless.

#12 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

I think you'll see a lot more content in HD as these channels start rolling out. I mean, you're not going to see M*A*S*H in HD or anything

M*A*S*H was shot on film, so you definitely could see an HD version. Just not 16:9.

#13 OFFLINE   flyingtigerfan

flyingtigerfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

I stand (sit) corrected. I meant 16:9 HD.

#14 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

You might. It depends on how M*A*S*H was filmed. Northern Exposure and Hogan's Heroes are on in HD. It may be 4:3 HD, but HD nonetheless.

Tony when Hogans Heros was playing on HDNET didn't It fill the 16x9 screen? It

didn't look stretched maybe they cropped it. They had other old shows on too,

like Charlies Angels. I believe any thing on 8 mm tape can be converted to digital

format for viewing in HD. They color just won't be what it is in todays films, but

they still look pretty darn good.

#15 OFFLINE   dentam

dentam

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

Tony when Hogans Heros was playing on HDNET didn't It fill the 16x9 screen? It

didn't look stretched maybe they cropped it. They had other old shows on too,

like Charlies Angels. I believe any thing on 8 mm tape can be converted to digital

format for viewing in HD. They color just won't be what it is in todays films, but

they still look pretty darn good.

I can't speak for Charlie's Angels, but Hogan's Heroes on HDnet was cropped to fill the screen. I appreciate the fact that HDnet has given us a lot of older programming in HD, but I for one would prefer it in its OAR.

spam firewall