Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will E* adding more national HD in August spur D* to get D10 operational sooner?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:46 AM

E* is adding 7 more national HD channels on August 15th and 8 RSN's in HD (not sure when the RSN's will go live). http://www.skyreport.com/#Story1

Do you think this will spur D* to get D10 tested and operational faster than originally announced?
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

No.

As the D10 is at a state, that you just can't rush it anymore then it already is.

Plus... there is legal/regulatory things that would have to occur, if in fact they want to turn it on any sooner.

(See the links to the FCC/Lawyer letter, that gave us the September 16th date).

Plus... it is one of those.... we have waited this long (5 years), what is another two-three weeks to do it right, and make sure there are no issues.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

(See the links to the FCC/Lawyer letter, that gave us the September 16th date).

The letter makes no reference to September 16th. It says that the satellite is expected to drift into place on or about September 15th.

Here's a link to Sixto's original post (because it has been amended and is a definitive work).

#4 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

Not to mention the additional E* offerings are kind of pathetic compared to the volume of HD content D* will be adding in September.

I don't think it's anything D* needs to panic about. They can simply stay the course. In the grand scheme of things they are almost there now. Two months ain't squat to wait through.

To me, the E* announcement actually seems a little desperate. Too little too late. They're fighting a firestorm with a squirt gun.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

The letter makes no reference to September 16th. It says that the satellite is expected to drift into place on or about September 15th.

Here's a link to Sixto's original post (because it has been amended and is a definitive work).

Hence where we came up with the first possible estimated availability date of September 16th.

DirecTV has never stated a "turn-on date"...... so September 16th, is nothing more then an educated assumption by the forum/blog community.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:20 AM

Not to mention the additional E* offerings are kind of pathetic compared to the volume of HD content D* will be adding in September.

As the new E* offerings are all highly anticipated planned D* channels, I'm not sure it is appropriate to compare them as pathetic.

#7 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:48 AM

As the new E* offerings are all highly anticipated planned D* channels, I'm not sure it is appropriate to compare them as pathetic.

Also, if you want better programming from D*, you may not wish E* to be pathetic. Competition is good for us. Hopefully, we are staying with D* for they have done something to deserve our business, not because we have no where else to go.

#8 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

I do believe that E*'s improvement is beneficial for all consumers. As the suppliers provide us with more HD, they'll have to make sure that there is more quality, not just quantity. Eventually it will become an arms race of HD, which is great for all of us.

#9 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

DISH has already publicly said they would be adding around 6 new HD channels this year - it will have no effect on D*'s roll-out schedule.

I just wonder why DISH didn't add MHD and other already available HD offerings already, and the only speculation I have is that they waited as long as they could so they could get some headlines now that DirecTV is about to open its HD floodgates.

We know that DirecTV hasn't added due to lack of capacity, what is DISH's excuse now?

#10 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

The NUMBER of channels E* is adding is pathetic compared to the number of channels D* is adding scarcely a month later.
--Frank Zappa

#11 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

I'm not sure about the RSN but all those other channels E* announced have already been announced by D*. On the other hand D* has announced a lot of channels that E* hasn't announced yet. E* will still have the Voom advantage, but so far E* hasn't announced anything for the HBO/Cinemax/Starz! HD or any of the NBCU HD channels like USA and SciFi.
1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#12 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

...E* will still have the Voom advantage...

Oh God, (*whew*) I needed some fall-on-the-floor-laughing humor.

Thanks. ;)
--Frank Zappa

#13 OFFLINE   ralphfurley

ralphfurley

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

methinks D* has an eye on the start of the NFL/NCAA not DISH. Football season causes many to purchase big HD tvs and D* wants those customers to get Sunday Ticket. "sneak peeks" of MHD and NGC at 2am cant work forever.
Stay classy,FURLEY OUT! Have I really been coming here for5 years!?!

#14 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:52 AM

Since I'm not a Dish subscriber, and never will be, anyone know what sat the new channels will be on and whether they will be MPEG2 or MPEG4? I know they are moving the Voom channels elsewhere to get new nationals up so does that mean they will be MPEG2?

Also, what rez will they be in? From what I understand all, if not the majority, of their HD nationals are HD Lite also now... Will the new ones be full rez?

Are our new DirecTV HD channels going to be in Full Rez?

#15 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:23 PM

I think it is funny that on Sept 1st E* will be able to make the claim that they have the most HD channels and have just added 7 more to put them over the top and then 2 weeks later they have to stop saying it.

:D

Seriously thouygh. Each time I hear about new HD channels (especially ones on the 99 and 103 sat) I get really excited. If E* does anything to push D* harder than I hope E* turns it on full steam ahead.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#16 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

... Also, what rez will they be in? From what I understand all, if not the majority, of their HD nationals are HD Lite also now... Will the new ones be full rez?

Are our new DirecTV HD channels going to be in Full Rez?

I would have to imagine they'll do better. The other providers will increase the HD load. When other providers come close in terms of channels, the difference in subs will be service and quality.

#17 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

Also remember on D* the HD RSNs will be on CONUS not so on E*. Also remember that D* has the CSN's in HD while E* has not come to agreements yet with Comcast Sports Net in any market. Advantage D* especially in sports as we would all have expected.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:45 PM

DISH has already publicly said they would be adding around 6 new HD channels this year - it will have no effect on D*'s roll-out schedule.

Please check this thread.

I just wonder why DISH didn't add MHD and other already available HD offerings already, and the only speculation I have is that they waited as long as they could so they could get some headlines now that DirecTV is about to open its HD floodgates.

It does seem like they picked a good time, doesn't it? Because the six new additions are coming on the day that ten VOOM channels move from MPEG2 to MPEG4, it seems likely that it is a result of the bandwidth gained from the conversion.

We know that DirecTV hasn't added due to lack of capacity, what is DISH's excuse now?

The same.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

The NUMBER of channels E* is adding is pathetic compared to the number of channels D* is adding scarcely a month later.

One or more of the CATV companies are claiming dozens more than D* is promising so D*'s promises may appear too little too late also. At some point, what counts is how many you get, not how many they are promising. It will be a welcome addition when they offer anything more than promises.

What baffles me is that for a couple of years, the D* fanboys and apologists have been spewing that it isn't about HD channel count and now quantity seems to be the rallying cry.

#20 OFFLINE   projectorguru

projectorguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

but so far E* hasn't announced anything for the HBO/Cinemax/Starz! HD or any of the ......

thats cuz they are already there, no need to announce:hurah:

spam firewall