Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will E* adding more national HD in August spur D* to get D10 operational sooner?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

[quote name='projectorguru'][Quote]Looking at the potential September HD lineups for each, D* is clearly superior[Quote]

Again you said POTENTIAL. thats the thing, E* keeps ya wondering, they don't give potentials, or promises, that was my point, thats all. I don't look at what a company says they may have or will have, I look at what they actually have, and why wouldn't you count Voom Channel? They are HD, and I watch quite a few of them. Nobody really knew that these latest channels were commin out shortly, but now they are set in stone, they weren't potential, IOW.[/QUOTE]

You have not been a satellite customer to long have you. E* use to run there mouth all the time about new channels, even putting them in the guide. Then old charlie wouldn't get what he wanted and the channel would be a no go. So E* had a bad track record of promised channels. I've been watching this battle since 09/98. E* has learn to be quite. D* has never promised a channel and it not show up. Now wheater its right on time is another thing. Mostly not there fault. Murphy's mostly.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   projectorguru

projectorguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:44 AM

[quote name='Christopher Gould'][quote name='projectorguru'][Quote]Looking at the potential September HD lineups for each, D* is clearly superior

You have not been a satellite customer to long have you. E* use to run there mouth all the time about new channels, even putting them in the guide. Then old charlie wouldn't get what he wanted and the channel would be a no go. So E* had a bad track record of promised channels. I've been watching this battle since 09/98. E* has learn to be quite. D* has never promised a channel and it not show up. Now wheater its right on time is another thing. Mostly not there fault. Murphy's mostly.[/QUOTE]

I have been for 9 years, used to have both E* and D. E* always had the better programming and cheaper prices. i for one, like 24/7 HD channels, not 2 hours a day of HD on some of these channels that D will be getting, its kinda like A&E, theres not much HD on there, but it says its an HD channel. the issue here isn't how many channels D will have, its how many actual HD channels they will have. being in the telecom industry myself, there isn't any of these so called channels comming up that are going to have Full HD programming, just certain things in HD, as of now anyway

#63 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:22 AM

Who has any more than a biz relationship? Not many at all.

It's just so many people seem to argue so passionately to defend a corporation, either E* or D*, when really that company only sees them as $$$. If you no longer are a source of $$$, you'll see just how much they love you.

If you are happy with E* or D* then you should be confident in your choice, knowing you picked the service that is right for you. If you are spending time here being argumentative and defensive about your decision, it only makes it appear that you are no so sure that you chose the right service. It gives the impression that you are jealous that the other guy is getting X, Y, & Z, and you're not. (It's especially bad if you find yourself in the forum of the other guy, being argumentative and defensive.)

#64 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:23 AM

So what's the difference between a full time HD channel only having a few hours of HD programming a day (A&E) and a full time HD channel showing the same HD programming over and over each day (Voom)? I don't think a provider should be criticized because a channel isn't offering 24/7 HD shows. The provider can only pass through what the channel is sending.

Now when a provider doesn't pass through all of a channel's HD programming (like E* apparently does with SNY and YES), then there's something wrong.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#65 OFFLINE   projectorguru

projectorguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:37 AM

So what's the difference between a full time HD channel only having a few hours of HD programming a day (A&E) and a full time HD channel showing the same HD programming over and over each day (Voom)? I don't think a provider should be criticized because a channel isn't offering 24/7 HD shows. The provider can only pass through what the channel is sending.

Now when a provider doesn't pass through all of a channel's HD programming (like E* apparently does with SNY and YES), then there's something wrong.

The diference is, well, you don't have VOOM so you'll never know how nice it really is. yes there are alot of reruns on there just like any HBO ect type channels, but the fact is, i don't watch TV 24/7 so most of the shows on Voom are new to me:nono:

#66 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

The diference is, well, you don't have VOOM so you'll never know how nice it really is. yes there are alot of reruns on there just like any HBO ect type channels, but the fact is, i don't watch TV 24/7 so most of the shows on Voom are new to me:nono:

Then I say you enjoy Voom, and we DirecTV subscribers will enjoy the channels we have, and all the new choices will get this fall.

#67 OFFLINE   projectorguru

projectorguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

and we DirecTV subscribers will enjoy the channels we have, and all the new choices will get this fall.

I am also the we part

#68 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

:listenup:

We have way too many Dish fanboys posting in the DirecTV forum as of late.

DirecTV will have the channels they will have in September and beyond.

We will get what's mostly available and have the capacity for the new ones as they launch service... We won't have to juggle channels and bandwith to keep up with the other services as demonstrated by Dish Network's reaction to the successful launch of D10.

So what if Dish has a few more channels for a couple of weeks as D10 tests and moves into orbit. I'll be enjoying my Summer in the meantime.

The E* HD installs must be down again!.Think this is a fact that they are going to have to get use to.:rolleyes:

#69 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

(It's especially bad if you find yourself in the forum of the other guy, being argumentative and defensive.)

Wow, that's a harsh criticsm. ;)
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#70 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

If Voom was so good, it would not have gone under.

#71 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,597 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

If Voom was so good, it would not have gone under.

That's what they said about the Tucker automobile. Goodness doesn't necessarily equate to competitiveness.

If being technically superior and widely respected were the driving market forces, Microsoft would have gone under twenty years ago.

#72 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

It's probably nice to have the Voom choices right now, when HD channels are few, but there are twenty-something new HD networks coming on line in Sept alone, to be followed shortly by dozens more throughout the fall. I'm glad D* hasn't signed any contracts with Voom. I wouldn't want D* to spend the band width on that programming, when there will be so many more interesting choices.

#73 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

Wow, that's a harsh criticsm. ;)

+1 Yeah but it was a correct criticism. :lol:
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#74 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

:listenup:

We have way too many Dish fanboys posting in the DirecTV forum as of late.

+1

:lol: I have to laugh, the E* boys are all proud of getting 7 more HD channels, but at what cost? Charlie is converting Voom to mpeg4 and putting 4 hd channels per TP instead of 3. HD-LITE!!! :lol:

Soon we won't have to worry about HD-lite anymore.

:evilgrin: sorry I couldn't help but stir the pot :evilgrin:

#75 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

In all fairness, I'm sure E* will catch up. They have announced that they will be launching new sats. If E* service suddenly became more attractive to me, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. Right now though, I'm quite happy with D*, just as many E* customers are happy with their choice. I just wonder about the E* folks, who feel compelled to come to the D* forums to bash D*, if maybe they are not so secure in their choice.

spam firewall