Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.06 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

Please use this thread to discuss your experiences with L4.06 and any bugs you have found.

Release notes for L4.06 have been posted and can be found here -- Rob
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:46 AM

Well I reopened the thread. I personally have not gotten 4.06 and I find it rather odd that only a few people have pipped up indicating they have. Well for now.. Post here if you received it and post your experiences in the sticky. Also, sorry Chuck, Jim and Gravel.. When I was closing the thread I accidentally deleted your posts. So if you were wondering where they went.. That is where and they are back.

It was on my 622 Friday morning and the only change I've seen is the one already reported, the installation/pointing strength meter has been modified for a wider range, check the "Help" link at this option for DISH's explanation.

The pause/frame skip problems are still as before on my 622.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:21 AM

I got L4.06 and noticed nothing much except my ota strength has dropped by 10 points across the board on my strongest received ota stations. Oh and my sat signal meter is now much , much lower strength. I don't know how I am going to be able to peak a sat dish now that 75 is considered good signal strength.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

I don't know how I am going to be able to peak a sat dish now that 75 is considered good signal strength.

I understand confusion and getting used to a new signal meter... but how is it any more difficult to peak? It is a relative strength level meter anyway... so you would just peak your dish until you get the highest level on the meter for that transponder and you are done.

Doesn't matter if peak is 100 or 90 or 10... it shouldn't change what you do or how you peak a dish, right?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

I would unify it that way as schools doing :) - simple and easy to understand for EVERYONE:

- A/B/C/D/E.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

I understand confusion and getting used to a new signal meter... but how is it any more difficult to peak? It is a relative strength level meter anyway... so you would just peak your dish until you get the highest level on the meter for that transponder and you are done.

Doesn't matter if peak is 100 or 90 or 10... it shouldn't change what you do or how you peak a dish, right?

I meant that I have gotten used to the strengths I already have on certain transponders on 110/119/61.5/129 and now I will have to relearn what is considered a good signal strength all over again. THis means relearning what I thought I already knew.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:58 PM

I meant that I have gotten used to the strengths I already have on certain transponders on 110/119/61.5/129 and now I will have to relearn what is considered a good signal strength all over again. THis means relearning what I thought I already knew.

I understood that part, which is why I mentioned an adjustment period to get used to the new levels... but your post implied you would not be able to peak a dish. Maybe you didn't actually mean it the way you wrote it.

To my way of thinking, in order to properly peak a dish you would adjust until you get the maximum signal strength for that installation. Knowing that 70, as an example, is a "good" level is not pertinent to peaking a system. When peaking, you would be going for the maximum be it 70 or 80 or whatever... so I just didn't see where the signal meter changing would effect the work that needs to be done in order to peak an installation.

You have to get used to the new lower numbers of course... but peaking would still be the same process to get the best/highest signal and should be no more work than before.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, but now imagine you're try find a gap between threes. You'll need to know local clear sky maximum before that.
No, relative SS is not enough.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

I understood that part, which is why I mentioned an adjustment period to get used to the new levels... but your post implied you would not be able to peak a dish. Maybe you didn't actually mean it the way you wrote it.

To my way of thinking, in order to properly peak a dish you would adjust until you get the maximum signal strength for that installation. Knowing that 70, as an example, is a "good" level is not pertinent to peaking a system. When peaking, you would be going for the maximum be it 70 or 80 or whatever... so I just didn't see where the signal meter changing would effect the work that needs to be done in order to peak an installation.

You have to get used to the new lower numbers of course... but peaking would still be the same process to get the best/highest signal and should be no more work than before.

Okay my definition of peaking a dish on certain transponders and your defintion is different. I meant that I am used to peaking on high numbers on certain transponders on all 4 sats and I know when I have the best peak by doing so. Now I have to relearn all the strengths for those certain transponders so I know I am at the best strength. I use a cheap $20.00 sat finder to peak my installs on my friends and family's installs, repeaks etc. IT doesn't give me a number like 90 or 100 , just 1 - 10 on a meter.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

I use a cheap $20.00 sat finder to peak my installs on my friends and family's installs, repeaks etc. IT doesn't give me a number like 90 or 100 , just 1 - 10 on a meter.

Ok... now I'm confused. If you are using a satfinder to peak your installs... then what does the signal meter on the receiver have to do with anything? It sounds like you are peaking based upon the meter reading of the sat finder... in which case, that hasn't changed and I'm not sure I see why the receiver signal meter has anything to do with how you are peaking the satellite installation.

#11 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

The one OTA channel I was having issue with (100 SS and frequent dropouts) seems to have been fixed when I got 4.06.

Good deal.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#12 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

Larger scale would show more detail. 1 to 10 would say show a 7 for the peak. Where as a 1-100 could show a 75 on the same SS. Having more divisions makes it easier to get the best in the SS.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

Ok... now I'm confused. If you are using a satfinder to peak your installs... then what does the signal meter on the receiver have to do with anything? It sounds like you are peaking based upon the meter reading of the sat finder... in which case, that hasn't changed and I'm not sure I see why the receiver signal meter has anything to do with how you are peaking the satellite installation.

Okay I can't explain any better than I have already done. Suffice to say we seem to have a miscommunication here. Okay one more time here. I peak the dish based on my cheap sat meter and then go look at the screen on my tv to see if certain transponders are at the same signal strength on my installation as on my parents, friends , family. If they are on a similar strength then I know that they are peaked as good as I can get them on the same skew, elevation, azmuith etc. IF the spotbeams for my locals is off I know that I need to repeak it or change the elevation a little to get it back to what I know is a good strength for reception. For example my Houston locals are at about 90 strength on a spot beam . IF I don't get at least 90 on that transponder 4 on the 110 sat , I know that I need to make sure I am level , plumb, that the elevation doesn't have to be changed to compensate so I can get that 90 lock on that transponder.

I will post what I have found out here comparing the old signal strength on my back bedroom 622, that has L4.05 and my living room 622 that does have L4.06. The changes in signal strength have dropped anywhere from 23 - 37points. Here are some transponders at L4.05 and at L4.06.

110 sat
---------------------------------------------------
old L4.05 / new L4.06
transponder 1 ) 93 64 (-29 drop)
transponder 2 ) 99 70 (-29 drop)
transponder 5 ) 84 55 (-29 drop)
transponder 11) 87 59 (-28 drop)
transponder 16) 101 71 (-30 drop)
transponder 22 ) 103 73 (-30 drop)

119 sat
----------------------------------------------------
old L4.05 / new L4.06
transponder 2 ) 104 75 (-29 drop)
transponder 4 ) 99 70 (-29 drop)
transponder 11 ) 97 63 (-34 drop)
transponder 18 ) 104 74 (-30 drop)
transponder 21 ) 95 65 (-30 drop)

61.5 sat
------------------------------------------------------
old L4.05 / new L4.06
transponder 1 ) 93 56 (-37 drop)
transponder 9 ) 98 62 (-36 drop)
transponder 11 ) 95 59 (-36 drop)
transponder 14 ) 107 75 (-32 drop)
transponder 31 ) 96 67 (-29 drop)
transponder 32 ) 82 59 (-23 drop)

My question is how is dropping the signal strength by over 30 points, going to help assist anyone in getting a better peak on the dish as the NEW instructions say in the dish point screen?

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

That's close to eliminate that bogus 125 scale what it was invented a few years ago.
Perhaps returning back to pure 100 points scale across of very old, not that old and new models.

#15 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

My question is how is dropping the signal strength by over 30 points, going to help assist anyone in getting a better peak on the dish as the NEW instructions say in the dish point screen?

I thought the main point of these changes were to make ALL dish rcvr's display the same SS instead of showing different numbers at the same residence.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:01 PM

Then what was a point to invent the strange 125 points scale initially when all receivers that time had 100 pints scale ?!

#17 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

What L406?? I still have the L405 with no problem. is the L406 good for anything?? did it fix anything??
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

It looks like the meter was the major change, Tom. Although there probably is something else going on there. ViP-211s also got the new meter briefly before going back to L345.

As far as how to use the new meter ... and the brief time I had it on my 211 ... you still tweak for the highest signal. I do wish that the numbers went higher on all scales. I don't mind not getting readings in the "120"s on my receivers any more, but seeing 30's and wondering if that is good?

It is a sliding scale and I believe the intent was to make a good signal from 129° read the same as a good signal from 119° or 110° instead of seeing 100's on 119° and 110° and 70's on 129° and needing experience to know that it is all good.

What I'd like to see ... is a calibration where "100" is considered the target for that satellite and transponder and "20" would be the minimum for a usable signal - calibrated for EACH satellite and transponder and sent in the system tables. If a power level is changed on the satellite (moving from single power transponder to dual) the calibration changes in the tables.

Then one could peak for the 100's on all transponders/satellites and know that if they saw a reading closer to 20 that they would be risking (or experiencing) signal loss. Seeing 70's on an accurately aimed dish that saw 100-125's the day before isn't cool.

#19 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:05 AM

Then what was a point to invent the strange 125 points scale initially when all receivers that time had 100 pints scale ?!

When they started putting TPs in double-power mode it became possible to get >100 signal. P Smith can stop reading here ;). That's points, not %.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#20 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

I thought the main point of these changes were to make ALL dish rcvr's display the same SS instead of showing different numbers at the same residence.

Well that would be fine except they kept the 125 signal strength scale. Now it looks very off to the average customer than before. They need to change the scale back to 100 or even less to make it look right. THe highest signal strength I got was about 80 on one transponder and that one used to be at 107 strength before the new software.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...