Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.06 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

Well that would be fine except they kept the 125 signal strength scale. Now it looks very off to the average customer than before. They need to change the scale back to 100 or even less to make it look right. THe highest signal strength I got was about 80 on one transponder and that one used to be at 107 strength before the new software.

Agreed. Wonder why they did not change that also.

I remember people stating that the meter change would not be a big deal and the avg person would not notice. If the avg person looks at TP's on 129 and has had sat before, they are gonna say "WTF?" .
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

It's not like I'm in a hurry to get 406, but anyone know why I haven't received it or how long these updates usually take? I haven't gone through a software update since signing on to Dish. Just wondering. :)

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

E* normally rolls out software in stages ... that way if there is an unforseen problem it affects less receivers (and less customers). If there are no problems more receivers are given the new software then it becomes the new default. If problems are found they are corrected (hopefully) and you will see the next version after it is tested and released via the same process.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

Thanks James.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,345 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:00 AM

When they started putting TPs in double-power mode it became possible to get >100 signal. P Smith can stop reading here ;). That's points, not %.

Dish keep silence about meaning the numbers - no one installer or their managers informed :(.
for sure it is NOT signal level, but sort of result of composite SS and SQ.
Your suggestion is good, but without facts - do you know all history of output power of all tpns on all sats ? I suggest Rainbow-1 used double powered tpn old days.

#26 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

Release notes for L4.06 have been posted and can be found here

Thanks
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#27 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thats strange. Nothing about OTA. My issue appears to have been fixed. Maybe it was the one station all along.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#28 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

If it was not working before the release and is working after it was probably a fix in the release. Typically the release notes I get cover major/general changes, not every single bug fix is documented.
Rob

#29 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

Perhaps elwaylite. But past history has shown that not all fixes are shown in the release notes so it is possible there was a fix in the OTA subsystem and it just did not make the release notes.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#30 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

Gotcha. It was having issue like two days before the update, so Im fairly certain dish fixed the 622.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#31 OFFLINE   sledhead 700

sledhead 700

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:31 AM

Thats strange. Nothing about OTA. My issue appears to have been fixed. Maybe it was the one station all along.

Mine is fixed also...I had one station that worked before we went into the 4.XX updates. It had 100 strength but would drop and pickup every 10-20 sec:( . Now it is solid...watched for 2 hours and no drop after 4.06:) .

Dave

#32 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

I got 4.06 the other day. Since then, I've noticed an increase in audio/video sync issues with HD movies. I recorded Talledega Nights and the first third of the movie was out of sync, the second third was fine and the last third was out of sync again.

We've seen the in/out of sync on several recordings.

#33 OFFLINE   david803sc

david803sc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

I am very upset, it seems 4.06 has fixed the OTA problems that were caused by 4.05, I use HD OTA all the time and never had any problems, with dropouts or anything else beofre 4.05 now with 4.05 some of the stations are unwatchable, so why am I upset? becuase neither of my 622's have recieved the 4.06 I am still stuck on 4.05 its not right, and my OTA is still screwed up.

David

#34 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,011 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

I am very upset, it seems 4.06 has fixed the OTA problems that were caused by 4.05, I use HD OTA all the time and never had any problems, with dropouts or anything else beofre 4.05 now with 4.05 some of the stations are unwatchable, so why am I upset? becuase neither of my 622's have recieved the 4.06 I am still stuck on 4.05 its not right, and my OTA is still screwed up.

David

I wouldn't be upset at this point. This happened several times once L4.01 started spooling for some and not others.. and people would get mad that they didn't get the upgrade... then a few days later people who got the upgrade would post a problem and say they wish they could go back.

Seems like this sort of thing always makes someone mad either because they got the update or because they didn't.

I haven't gotten the latest update myself, and am curious to see if it helps my OTA any... but I figure I'll get it when I get it or maybe there are still bugs and I'll get the next version.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#35 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

Typically when Echostar releases software in phases it's to make sure it doesn't cause any new issues. If it doesn't then they continue to release it to the rest of the receivers. If a new problem is detected then they stop the release and quickly try and fix the new problem and start releasing again. Based on past history I would expect the release to continue on or a new release to start spooling soon. Hopefully your OTA issues will be fixed shortly.
Rob

#36 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

Release notes for L4.06 have been posted and can be found here

Thanks

Rob,

Do you know exactly what closed captioning issues were addressed in this release?
I'm really hoping some of the "display option" bugs and "CC sync" issues have been resolved.
Obviously I haven't received L4.06 yet.

Thanks
EAGLES

#37 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

Just as a Data Point Eagle. About a month ago CC topic came up and I went and looked at my locals that were having CC issues and found that CC seemed to have improved for me a lot on my Dish HD locals. The wording was not jumbled and I did not take a software update so I can only assume that some changes up stream were made that improved things so I am still of the theory CC issues are both in box and up stream.

The one thing I did notice, I am by no means a CC expert since I don't use it at all and only check it when discussions pop up, was that my Dish HD locals did still seem to be a bit lagged though it could just be the nature of CC and I have not had a lot of time to dig into it. IF there is any CC viewers in SoCal, It would be interesting to get there thoughts given I am in the same area.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#38 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Rob,

Do you know exactly what closed captioning issues were addressed in this release?
I'm really hoping some of the "display option" bugs and "CC sync" issues have been resolved.
Obviously I haven't received L4.06 yet.

Thanks

Sorry I do not have any further detail. I know about the issues you have mentioned to me before and I do not know how much/if any of that was addressed. Hopefully you will see a new release yourself soon and can take a look. I know that is not the answer you were hoping for but it's all I have at the moment.
Rob

#39 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

Definitely provide CC feedback Eagles. We need to keep on it for the people that use it. Hopefully you will see some level of CC improvement for L4.06.

#40 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

Just as a Data Point Eagle. About a month ago CC topic came up and I went and looked at my locals that were having CC issues and found that CC seemed to have improved for me a lot on my Dish HD locals. The wording was not jumbled and I did not take a software update so I can only assume that some changes up stream were made that improved things so I am still of the theory CC issues are both in box and up stream.

The one thing I did notice, I am by no means a CC expert since I don't use it at all and only check it when discussions pop up, was that my Dish HD locals did still seem to be a bit lagged though it could just be the nature of CC and I have not had a lot of time to dig into it. IF there is any CC viewers in SoCal, It would be interesting to get there thoughts given I am in the same area.

Ron,
Thanks for the reply. As a CC expert by necessity I pretty much saw the same thing you describe. You are correct about the Dish HD locals and CC support or lack of it. It is not software related. This is something Dish continues to work on with the providers to get all the glitches out.
I have been making a nuisance of myself to Dish for well over a year to try to get some of these other software related CC issues resolved. I will cut and paste one of my e-mails to Dish which describes some of the CC bugs I'm trying to get fixed for anyone who is interested.
The problem with something like this is that it's such a low priority as far as Dish is concerned because it affects such a small percentage of customers. I do understand this, but it is still frustrating. I'll just keep on trying.

E-MAIL TO DISH SENT SEPT, 2006:

Thomas,

Thanks again for your assistance with this. What I will be sending you will be some screen shots and short video clips in an attempt to highlight the problems I'm describing. Because of the file size of some of the video clips and a limit placed on e-mail attachments by the server, I will be sending a number of separate e-mails in order to accommodate all the information. Each one may have some additional narrative information. The attached files in this e-mail contain the relevant system info screen shot and a short video clip displaying the problematic CC display in the cursive font setting.

There are three issues that are a concern.

#1 No Closed Captioning Support on Dish HD Locals. (Known issue Dish is working to correct)

#2 Optional display settings are generally all messed up. One of the great features on the 622 is the ability to display the CC in many different ways, shapes, colors, and fonts. Being able to make the background transparent is a great feature, especially on a large wide screen TV. It makes the viewing experience so much more enjoyable. This worked great on the 921. Once again, these clips are just a couple of examples of a larger problem. The "proportional w/o font" seems to be the only font that is even close to OK. Look closely at the "FOREGROUND OPACITY" settings in the CC menu. This controls how the lettering is displayed. As far as I can tell it is not working at all and may be part of a larger problem. If you set the background opacity to transparent as to only show the lettering this becomes obvious. There is no difference in the lettering display if you choose transparent, translucent or solid.

#3 - CC is out of sync. I know Dish may argue this, but aside from live broadcasts the CC, when working properly should be in sync. This is my opinion based on the fact that I have been using it for years, and have never seen this problem except on the 921 & the 622. Also as the video clips will show, the CC information stream coming in from the satellite is good and in sync. Please see my video clips which show CC display coming from the same channels and shows on different tuners. The 625 vs. the 622. I realize that the 625 does not decode the CC as the 622 does, it just passes thru to the TV decoder. That is my point. If the CC info coming from the satellite was out of sync, it would be displayed out of sync while viewing the 625 also. As you will see it is not. Something seems to be lost in translation when the CC info coming from the satellite enters the 622. For someone like myself who can still hear some of the dialog, I have learned to glance at the CC as necessary. When it's out of sync it's really unwatchable for me. This would be equivalent to a person with good hearing viewing a show where the audio is way out of sync with the video or the audio has dropouts every couple of seconds.

The funny thing with this is that all shows on these channels are not out of sync on the 622. There seems to be no pattern. All of my SD Dish locals are fine. I know that Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me on FX are always out of sync, while other shows on that channel are fine. The same applies with different shows on A&E, Disc, and Court TV ect, some are fine some are out of sync on the 622, while they are always fine on my other receivers. The information I'm sending is just a small example of a larger problem. Maybe your tech people can conduct some more extensive testing to figure out why this is happening.

I will be sending a total of five e-mails including this one. Please let me know if you received them and if you were able to successfully open up the zip files.

Let me know if you need any more information. I will be glad to help.

Thanks again,

Rob Palladino

PS: I just found out that L3.65 downloaded last night. I don't know if any of these problems were

addressed. All information I'm sending here was under SW version L3.63.
EAGLES

spam firewall