Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD predictions?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to when every channel will be available in glorious HD?
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

The stations may well have the capability but the content will never totally be HD just like the transition to color, not everything was recorded as such.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

I wonder if back in the day when color programming was becoming available people thought there would always be B&W?
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#4 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

I actually was amazed when I started seeing commercials in color. If I recall correctly, the first program that I saw in color was "Superman". Back then the NBC peacock meant something. They always showed it at the start of any program that was broadcast in color. :lol:
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#5 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

Well, back in the day, I don't guess we gave it much thought. It was quite marvelous, if I remember, Walt Disney and Bonanza were Sunday evening staples as that was when the first color shows were broadcast. I love HD, don't get me wrong, but color had a bigger impact back then.
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#6 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,609 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

What's weird is I've been watching "Law and Order" on TNT HD of all things and episodes that I would think would be 4:3 SD(shot in the '90's) are 16:9 (HD transfers possibly) and I don't mean Stretch-O-Vision. Shows that were filmed can be transfered to HD at reasonable price, about $10k per episode is what I last heard. I have seen "Hogan's Heroes" transfers on HDNet and they look pretty darn good, as well as "The Equilizer" on UHD. Videotaped stuff is SOL.

#7 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

Speaking of transfers, Hogans Heros obviously was shot on film as was Northern Exposure. They have only broadcast the first two seasons of Northern Exposure, nothing newer. I wonder if the more recent episodes were taped and not worthy of an HD broadcast?
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,245 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

When Hell freezes over which, what with global warming,
will be even longer than any of us had originally thought. :lol:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to when every channel will be available in glorious HD?

I think a related, but different question is maybe what he was asking. (Or not, but in that case, I'll ask it)

When will every channel be broadcast (or satcast, or cablecast) in HD. Which is the same as asking, "When will all SD transmission cease?"

Interesting question, but hell if I know. :grin:

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,245 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

I think a related, but different question is maybe what he was asking. (Or not, but in that case, I'll ask it)

When will every channel be broadcast (or satcast, or cablecast) in HD. Which is the same as asking, "When will all SD transmission cease?"...

Sorry, it's not the same. When analog broadcasts cease, only digital SD transmissions will be the mandated
standard. High definition will not be a requirement, so the original query goes to when all broadcasters will
"voluntarily" switch over from all digital SD to all HD.

The answer to the OP's question depends on a lot of different things, but mostly to do with the economics of
operating a broadcast station and the reality of competitive pressures. The better question to ask is when all
programming will be in HD, and the answer to that is probably never, or when Hell freezes over, whichever
comes first.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

Sorry, it's not the same. When analog broadcasts cease, only digital SD transmissions will be the mandated
standard. High definition will not be a requirement, so the original query goes to when all broadcasters will
"voluntarily" switch over from all digital SD to all HD.

The answer to the OP's question depends on a lot of different things, but mostly to do with the economics of
operating a broadcast station and the reality of competitive pressures. The better question to ask is when all
programming will be in HD, and the answer to that is probably never, or when Hell freezes over, whichever
comes first.

Of course you right, Nick. But then again, we don't see any stations broadcasting in black and white anymore. I wonder how long that transition really took.

Until the day he died, my Grandfather thought color TV was a fad.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:40 AM

Of course you right, Nick. But then again, we don't see any stations broadcasting in black and white anymore. I wonder how long that transition really took.

Until the day he died, my Grandfather thought color TV was a fad.

From a technical standpoint, B&W broadcast hasn't stopped yet. The way analog OTA is broadcast is a B&W signal with added color information. This standard was adopted/mandated to ensure compatibility with B&W TV sets back in the day... So, for all practical purposes B&W is what is being broadcast today via analog OTA! So there has really been no transition away from B&W broadcast.

Now, once analog is shut down... that will truly be the end of B&W broadcast in the US.

That said... filmmakers still create brand new B&W movies, and I see no reason for that to stop. B&W can set a mood sometimes that can't be beat... so I am sure we will still see B&W films in the future. For a similar reason, there is no need to shoot everything in HD either... sometimes SD will set a certain mood so I suspect we still will see new SD creations in the future also.

For that matter, lots of black & white and SD content will be here from the "olden" days that is still good to watch so those will get air time in the future also.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#13 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

What HDMe said!:)
The first NTSC network color TV program that I can remember was the Arthur Godfrey show on CBS. When I worked for NBC in Chicago, we used to watch it on a monitor in Master Control. This, while we were working on color construction at the station. It required a huge investment -- new lighting in the studios, new cameras, new slide and film projectors and cameras, new control panels, and of course, all the color generators.
It took several years -- until sometime in the sixties, for color programming to be the norm.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#14 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

Ok, I'll rephrase the question. Anyone want to venture a guess as to when HD programming will become the "norm"?
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#15 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:35 AM

I would think it will be a long time before we see more than half of programming become "true" HD.
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#16 OFFLINE   Munkey

Munkey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

When HD tv's become the norm, then HD broadcast will soon follow.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

I would think it will be a long time before we see more than half of programming become "true" HD.

Probably depends on how you define "true". ;)

Lots of things are being shot now with HD cameras... and lots of things have been shot in HD even if they have never been broadcast that way. There are also lots of shows that are off the air now (NYPD Blue, Everybody Loves Raymond, to name a couple) that had their later seasons shot in HD and broadcast that way... so once more/better syndication for HD equipment becomes the norm there is a library of stuff ready to go.

Then anything on film can be scanned and downconverted (remember film has a higher resolution than HD) for HD broadcast. Movies that had no after-the-fact special effects are ready to go! Some will need to be re-worked, like what Paramount has been doing with the Original Star Trek (hey, there's another show that is now piling up HD episodes just waiting for the syndication technology to catch up so it can air that way).

As has been said already... once there are 50%+ HDTVs in US homes, expect the programming to really start to roll in as there will be more incentive to do so at that time.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#18 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:24 PM

I'm already watching about 70% HD content and once Directv's new satellite is turned on it will be about 99%. Just need Spike after that.:rolleyes:

spam firewall