Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HD Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   directvfreak

directvfreak

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:40 PM

With the new MPEG4 HD channels coming out will DirecTV be upgrading old MPEG 2 equipment to MPEG4 for free? I have a HR20 in my Living room, a H20 in the master bed, but in the den, the HR10-250 need upgraded so that it can view MPEG 4. Will directv upgrade for free or will I just have to live with the old MPEG 2 HD?
Matt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

With the new MPEG4 HD channels coming out will DirecTV be upgrading old MPEG 2 equipment to MPEG4 for free? I have a HR20 in my Living room, a H20 in the master bed, but in the den, the HR10-250 need upgraded so that it can view MPEG 4. Will directv upgrade for free or will I just have to live with the old MPEG 2 HD?

I believe the upgrade price from the HR10-250 is $99 but a lot of people have got it done for free. You will just have to call and ask.

#3 OFFLINE   phxphotog

phxphotog

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

I was just offered the $99 deal today. That included the hr20-700, the 5 lnb dish and the install. They told me that they would take my hr10-250 with them though. I thought that sucked that they would take away my hd-tivo that I spent $500 on. I still haven't made a decision on if I'm going to do it or not.

#4 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

phxphotog -

They won't take your HR10-250. Its a common comment because they call it a "swap-out" but I think its darn near universal they won't take it unless you tell them too - and if they try, its easy to argue owned vs. leased.

They didn't take mine if that helps.

Chris

#5 OFFLINE   psychobabbler

psychobabbler

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:45 PM

I was just offered the $99 deal today. That included the hr20-700, the 5 lnb dish and the install. They told me that they would take my hr10-250 with them though. I thought that sucked that they would take away my hd-tivo that I spent $500 on. I still haven't made a decision on if I'm going to do it or not.

They didn't take my HR10 either. I actually use it in another room, non HD. But that thing can hold some SD!
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

HR20-700 via HDMI to Samsung DLP
HR21-700 via HDMI to Samsung Plasma
HR22-100 via HDMI to Samsung LCD
Networked

#6 OFFLINE   wagman

wagman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

phxphotog,

I just had a HR20 put in (Monday), and was told they were going to take my hr10-250 in the swap-out.

The installers came, asked which box I was replacing, and I told them I wanted my D10 box replaced, not my HR10-250. They said "no problem", and deactivated my D10 box. My HR10-250 is happily working away in a new location in my house.

They did not take the D10 box, and it is sitting happily on the desk in front of me right now.

The installer told me they never actual remove receivers, but they do take dishes they have replaced.

I hope that relieves any of your concerns. Just tell the installer you want another box deactivated. Even if the HR10-250 is your only box, they should not actual take it after deactivation.

wagman

#7 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:59 PM

Actually, part of the offer is that they will relocate your HR10-250 to another room.
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#8 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

I got an HR-20 for free last year, and they moved my old H10 to another room.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:55 PM

I think some unscrupulous installers have taken the old DirecTivo DVR from unwitting customers. But they shouldn't have.

Carl

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

Did you buy the HR10-250 or was it a lease from D*? If you own the IRD, and not lease, I can't imagine they'd take it. Maybe they thought it was D* equipment when they stated that?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#11 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

I doubt they will take it they left mine behind even though they said they would take it the installer wanted nothing to do with it.

#12 OFFLINE   Folin

Folin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

Just posted all this over at AVS so a repeat here...caution even when the installer does not take your current lease unit:

I called last month to upgrade 2 HR10's to HR20's. One HR10 was mine, bought and paid for, the other was a lease unit.

Best offer on the first call was $198 less a $99 credit. Not bad, but I passed.

My wife called two days later, talked for 1/2 hour and hung up. Said she got both HR20's coming to us 100% free (no equp, install or shipping fees).

Install went ok a couple days later. Installer took one HR20 back to his truck as it was deemed DOA, it wouldn't clear the first couple screens after numerous attempts. Installer relocated my HR10 to a spare BR.

Wife asked him to take D*'s leased HR10 but he said they didn't want them back anymore. This was a D* installer, not 3rd party. (Whoot, thought I, ebay here I come)

About 4 days ago my wife called D* as there was a $20 shipping fee on our bill. She got D* to credit it back after a major argument. The very next day there was a $70 install fee, a $299 equipment fee and a $300 unreturned DVR fee: $670 total fees.

My wife called me at work cussing out D*. D* never once told us to return the DVR nor did they send a return kit. They didn't have good notes on the "deal" they had offered my wife (everything for free), thus the charges cropping up.

I called and hammered away for about an hour. They submitted the $299 equipment charge to their credit group for reversal after I pointed out the $199 - $99 credit deal I had been offered two days earlier...why would we suddenly accept a $300 deal? Made no sense.

Finally, they reveresed the $70 install fee, too and are sending us a return kit for the leased HR10.

Then the rep said, "It looks like you're due to send us back an HR20 as well...hate for that to show up as unreturned, now". I told them the installer tried the 1st unit and left with it. Unknown what's going to happen on this but that will really irk me if they try to charge us for that unit.

So even if D*/installer doesn't ask for a leased unit back...I'd sit on it awhile before selling it or otherwise...

#13 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:47 PM

Actually, part of the offer is that they will relocate your HR10-250 to another room.

They offered to move mine as well. I was actually shocked that they even asked when all I thought they would do is install the dish and box.

#14 OFFLINE   okeemike

okeemike

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

About 4 days ago my wife called D* as there was a $20 shipping fee on our bill. She got D* to credit it back after a major argument. The very next day there was a $70 install fee, a $299 equipment fee and a $300 unreturned DVR fee: $670 total fees.

I had the same thing happen to me. My $66 HR20 turned into $299 by the time my first bill arrived. Now, I learned that I'm also paying $5 / month for a lease. My head still hurts from the rep explaining to me how I only leased the box for $299 (apparently to keep my from paying the $700 that it really cost. Huh?

#15 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

I had the same thing happen to me. My $66 HR20 turned into $299 by the time my first bill arrived. Now, I learned that I'm also paying $5 / month for a lease. My head still hurts from the rep explaining to me how I only leased the box for $299 (apparently to keep my from paying the $700 that it really cost. Huh?

If you weren't paying the leasing fee, you'd be paying the mirroring fee (assuming that you have more than 1 receiver) which exists for any receivers activated before the leasing program began. It's basically the same fee just with a different name, so you're not really paying any extra to lease the box.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...