Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio breakups/ pixelation on non-HD channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Azalo

Azalo

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:50 PM

Anyone else had this problem? I have noticed that a lot of people seem to have the issue with HD channels. for me it happens on Noggin, Nick, Sprout (i have little kids obviously) those channels are unwatcheable, also happens on RSN. I havent tried evry channel but I have had 0 issues with HD or locals. My signal strength readings are in the 90s. Is there a particular transponder/sat I should be checking. I havent tried removing the b-band thing yet but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this. CSR just told me to RBR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mikereznm

mikereznm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:15 PM

I've got the same problem. Happens almost every night on all HD channels ( 70's) as well as CBS west coast feed and local NBC Albuquerque feed. It's not weather or obstructions with dish, nor loose connections, nor signal strength (90's) or water in fittings all taped and sealed.
Would appreciate any suggestions from the brain trust out there.

#3 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

I've got the same problem. Happens almost every night on all HD channels ( 70's) as well as CBS west coast feed and local NBC Albuquerque feed. It's not weather or obstructions with dish, nor loose connections, nor signal strength (90's) or water in fittings all taped and sealed.
Would appreciate any suggestions from the brain trust out there.

got the same issue (70's). in my case, its isolated to the sat 1 input. I've tried to remove the B-band converter, which seemed to help, but the "drops" are back tonight :(

I have a technician coming out on saturday. hopefully, we'll figure something out. I'll post back if we find the silver bullet.
NR | HR20-700 | WNC AU9, WB68 | Linksys WRT54G | 6 Mbps | Denon 2807 (HDMI) | Panasonic 42PX60U (HDMI)

#4 OFFLINE   sticketfan

sticketfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

in the last week i have been getting the same problems with non hd stations,381 tonight and then various other channels tonight. very annoying this better get worked out before football season. at first i liked the new hr20-100 but in the last couple of weeks, i dont know....

#5 OFFLINE   84jeepjohn

84jeepjohn

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

well I've got the same issues. My son said "Dad, you better get this fixed before Mom see's it" LOL

Mine is on G4 and a few other SD channels. It's frustrating when you recorded something and then you get the audio drops and the pixalation (and bad spelling)

#6 OFFLINE   Azalo

Azalo

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

i took out the b-band converters and so far it seems fixed. anyone know what the b-band converters are/will be used for?

#7 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

i took out the b-band converters and so far it seems fixed. anyone know what the b-band converters are/will be used for?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=91798
NR | HR20-700 | WNC AU9, WB68 | Linksys WRT54G | 6 Mbps | Denon 2807 (HDMI) | Panasonic 42PX60U (HDMI)

#8 OFFLINE   Dknow

Dknow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

They will be used to downconvert frequencies that your receiver will be able to comprehend for all of the new national HD content that will supposedly be launching in September. In other words........You need 'em.

#9 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,948 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

They will be used to downconvert frequencies that your receiver will be able to comprehend for all of the new national HD content that will supposedly be launching in September. In other words........You need 'em.

"up convert" 250-750 MHz to [I think] 1650-2150 MHz.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   mikereznm

mikereznm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

in the last week i have been getting the same problems with non hd stations,381 tonight and then various other channels tonight. very annoying this better get worked out before football season. at first i liked the new hr20-100 but in the last couple of weeks, i dont know....

Called D**TV and scheduled a service call for Mon. Dtech says it sounds like the HR20 is defective and will request that the sub they use in New Mexico bring another hr20 with him to switch out. Also they will check cable into house and connections. Fingers crossed, will post mon. on outcome.

#11 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

Called D**TV and scheduled a service call for Mon. Dtech says it sounds like the HR20 is defective and will request that the sub they use in New Mexico bring another hr20 with him to switch out. Also they will check cable into house and connections. Fingers crossed, will post mon. on outcome.

great. If this is truly the case, DTV is gonna have a lot of receivers to replace.

#12 OFFLINE   bobcpa

bobcpa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:33 AM

As I posted in one of the other forums, I believe this has nothing to do with the HR20. I have the same issues with another TV in my house which receives signals through an H20 box.

#13 OFFLINE   kenva

kenva

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

got the same issue (70's). in my case, its isolated to the sat 1 input. I've tried to remove the B-band converter, which seemed to help, but the "drops" are back tonight :(

I have a technician coming out on saturday. hopefully, we'll figure something out. I'll post back if we find the silver bullet.

I had same problem and also isolated it to sat input 1. I didn't matter which line from the satelite I used or if the B-band converter was on. It only had problems on Sat input 1 so I concluded that it was a hardware problem with the HR20. I called D* and they FedExed me a new (referbished) one. I just got it all set up last night. So far it looks good, but it hasn't been long enough to say for sure.

#14 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,948 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

As I posted in one of the other forums, I believe this has nothing to do with the HR20. I have the same issues with another TV in my house which receives signals through an H20 box.

Not knowing what you posted "there": if you have signals breaking up on two receivers, it sounds like a dish, cabling, multi-switch problem.
What are your transponder levels?
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Azalo

Azalo

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

well i thought removing the b-band converters worked but it didn't, some of the channels that didn't work before (noggin) are good now but others still have issues (nick). I called CSR and they want me to try hard reboot, checking connections, etc and if it still doesnt work they will send a tech out at no charge since it was only installed a week ago, post move.

#16 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

In an attempt to try and determine if there is a pattern to these issues, it might make sense for everybody to post their particular situation to the thread listed below. This may show a pattern that the random posting on 5 or 6 different threads isn't really showing too well:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=91888

#17 OFFLINE   0x1b

0x1b

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hi!

I have been having much the same issues as those reported by others. Yesterday, I performed accessed the Test & Info screen and noticed that the receivers internal temperature had soared to 172 degrees. This seemed much too high and so I set a cooling fan in front of the (normally closed) cabinet and after about an hour, the temperature had dropped to 104 degrees and "voila", the problem seemed to go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...