Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Remote is Deal Killer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mbamenra

mbamenra

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

Apologies if I'm misposting somehow, but I was just hit with a bombshell yesterday by DirecTV and after wallowing in misery on the Tivocommunity forums, I thought I'd come over here for some additional perspective.

I'm a long-time DirecTV Tivo user since 2001, currently using the HR10-250. I've just learned from a DirecTV CSR that I will eventually be forced to the HR20 for more HD programming because of Mpeg4 and that the HR10 will soon be "downgraded" to only support standard definition programming.

My issue is this, although I do sincerely believe that Tivo is god's machine, I would consider staying with DirecTV and moving to the HR20 if it weren't for that damn REMOTE. The Tivo remote is god's remote, the most perfect and user-friendly remote ever, EVER, created. The DirecTV remote on the other hand--with its unlabled rainbow buttons, channel change button toward the bottom, the tiny pause button instead of the Tivo setup...I could go on with my disdain--is just plain pathetic.

Why the hell doesn't DirecTV scrap their current POS remote and start from where god's remote left off? I could stomach the thought of going to the DirecTV DVR interface, but I just cannot see putting up with that gotdam remote. Am I crazy, shallow, overreacting, or does anyone else feel me on this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,603 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk!

Sorry you feel that way about the HR20's remote. Have you actually used the remote? I, too, am a long time DirecTivo fan, but found the new remote perfectly useable. Its RF capabilities are nice, too.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

As someone who first used a DirecTV Plus DVR with the DirecTV remote, then later used a DirecTivo with the peanut remote, I feel just exactly the opposite of you. I just can't get used to that pathetic tivo remote.

It's all a matter of what you are used to. Don't hold your breath for DirecTV to change their remote.

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:55 PM

I couldn't care less about either remote since I have a Home Theater Master MX-600 Universal Remote.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#5 OFFLINE   mbamenra

mbamenra

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:15 AM

Maybe it's just me then. I have tried that HR20 remote and I absolutely loathe it. I think I will cling to my HR10 until the last pixel of HD content is disabled on it by DirecTV and then I'll pray to the good lord above that Dish or TW or someone else links up with Tivo, or DirecTV provides an alternative remote to their current one. Woe is me, woe is me!

#6 OFFLINE   danko

danko

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:20 AM

I felt The same way ,had Tivo for years before getting Hr20,now after having the Hr20 for about a year and putting the HR10-250 in my sons room and hardly ever touching it I feel the exact oposite. Its what ever you get used to!!!!!!!!!!

#7 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:21 AM

the part about downgrading the HR10 to SD only makes no sense. At least not until everything is mpeg4.

In any event, buy a programmable remote and enjoy!

#8 OFFLINE   mapod

mapod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:08 AM

Dude, its a remote.....you will adjust.....its worth the upgrade. I'm an old Tivo guy myself....upgraded to the HR20 and the remote is shaped differently but it still does what it was designed for. Lets talk about more important issues...like LDB; the upcomming NFL season; and all the new HD channels comming!

#9 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

I'm an old Tivo fan also. I love the remote. I don't use the HR remote, since I use a Harmony to control my TV/DVR/AVR. It's taken some getting used to (since I still have 2 SD Tivo receivers), but I love my HR20. I very rarely watch TV with my 2 SD Tivo receivers any longer. When it's all said and done, yeah I like the Tivo remote much better, but I'm not giving up HD content because of a "poorly designed" remote. If you don't need something as fancy as a Harmony, then look around for a universal that you like. You should be able to find something out there that fits your layout taste, controls your equipment, and is reasonably priced.
H20, HR20, HR21

#10 OFFLINE   keep amonte

keep amonte

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

After owning Harmony and Home Theater Masters, anthing I buy is controlled with my universal! I say to move on and get a universal remote!
GO BLACKHAWKS!!!
GO IRISH!!!

#11 OFFLINE   eahmjh

eahmjh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:28 AM

How about this idea. Why don't you go to cable or Dish and try their service and remotes or like other have mention stick with you old "Perfect" unit and remote and miss out on some of the best new stuff coming down the pike. What did you do when you upgrade Windows and MS change where Icons where?
HR20-700: HDMI 1080i to Sony KDL-46XBR2
HR21-100: HDMI 720p to Sylvania 6632LG
H21-200: HDMI 720P to Sony KDL-26L5000
Monster Power Center HTS-3600MKII
Sony STR-DG800: Optical to HR20
Bose 301, VSC-10, 161 speakers
Velodyne VRP1000 subwoofer
AT9 5 LNB; Zinwel WB-68 Mulitswitch

#12 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:29 AM

After owning Harmony and Home Theater Masters, anthing I buy is controlled with my universal! I say to move on and get a universal remote!

Exactly, you could always get a Harmony or other universal remote of your choice.

I have used both the DTIVO and D* remotes and have no problem with the D* remote. Both had an adjustment period, but once you get through that, it's smooth sailing.

#13 OFFLINE   Rimline

Rimline

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

Two words: Harmony 880 :)

#14 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:34 AM

As others have noted, there are very good 3rd party remotes, like the Harmony series, that you might find you like even better than the Tivo. If it is an inevitability that you will have to get an HR20 at some point, then it would behoove you to learn everything you can now, about the Harmony series (there is one that has the colored buttons that fits the HR20 nicely).

The other important point that others mentioned that I can only second is "getting used to" a new remote. For the way I use my system for TV viewing, I find I don't use my Harmony as much as I do my D* RC32RF remote. It does exactly what I need it to do 99% of the time (controls those functions)

1. It controls the DVR and has backlit keys.
2. It controls the volume on my Onkyo 605 HT receiver.

Nothing could be simpler or more efficient for me.

When I need to do "heavy llifting", I have my Harmony sitting right next to me, but for ordinary use the RC32RF does a GREAT job.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#15 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

I hated the HR20 REMOTE when I first used it compared to the the Tivo. You WILL soon forget the Tivo remote and DVR. I have trouble with my Tivo remote now since I am use to the HR20. Change is hard, but you will adapt just fine. Last night I was searching for a show by title on the Tivo and realized I wish I was on my HR20. I was searching for a show I previously searched for. On my HR20 I can just goto previous searches. Not having to retype a show title saves alot of time.

#16 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:20 AM

Why would I care a thing about the remote? First thing I do is program my Mx-700 and toss the remote in the "remote graveyard" box to never see the light of day again. ;)

Seriously, get a good Univerasal programmable remote like an MX or Harmony and you will never know how you lived without them. WAF is high. I repeat, WAF is high. My wife thought I was nuts paying $150 for a remote a few years ago (MX-500, long since retired) but after a week she couldn't believe we hadn't done it years before. Same remote, same interface for all receivers. Press a button and all settings are automatically changed (i.e. press "Watch DVD" button sets everything up to watch a DVD). WAF can't be beat.

#17 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

As a long time TiVo fan, I've stated this opinion before:

I agree with the OP on one point:

The TiVo peanut is The. Best. Out-of-the-box. Remote. Control. In. The. History. Of. Man.

Interestingly, this is a personal thing. You'll find people in these forums who hate the TiVo peanut. Even big TiVo fans who's first step after buying a TiVo is to bury the "peanut" in a drawer somewhere and set up their favorite universal remote (usually a Harmony) for the TiVo.

Having said all that:

The DirecTV remote, while not a "remote of the gods" like the TiVo peanut, is a perfectly functional and reasonably intuitive remote. I had very little problem adjusting.

I've seen MUCH worse.

If the remote is really your sticking point, consider a Harmony remote.

#18 OFFLINE   Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

How about this idea. Why don't you go to cable or Dish and try their service and remotes or like other have mention stick with you old "Perfect" unit and remote and miss out on some of the best new stuff coming down the pike. What did you do when you upgrade Windows and MS change where Icons where?

Yeah, go try something sh*ttier, or....or.... just stick with yer ol' "perfect" unit and remote, and just shaddup why-don't-ya?!:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the help.

I'm not crazy about the remote either (some of the buttons seem to be in really dumb places), but you do get used to it after a while.

#19 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:41 AM

Two words: Harmony 880 :)

Technically that's one word a set of three numbers ;) , but for anyone with more than three audio/video components in their setup, your advice (echoed by a lot of others) to get a universal remote should be heeded.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#20 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:47 AM

Agreed on the universal remote. Your best bet is to go out and find a universal remote you like, and use it. The Harmony(Logitech) line seems to be a favorite of a lot of people, including myself(I use the Harmony 676).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...