Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Remote is Deal Killer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

Yeah, go try something sh*ttier, or....or.... just stick with yer ol' "perfect" unit and remote, and just shaddup why-don't-ya?!:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the help.

I'm not crazy about the remote either (some of the buttons seem to be in really dumb places), but you do get used to it after a while.

To be fair, the OP wasn't asking for help, he was ranting.

The sarcastic response was "in-kind", if not kind.:D

I very much enjoyed your retort, however. I'm still chuckling.

I'm sure the OP will make out fine over time, and he has plenty of viable choices to make the transition as painless a possible. If not, there's always your suggestion.:lol:

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

The other important point that others mentioned that I can only second is "getting used to" a new remote. For the way I use my system for TV viewing, I find I don't use my Harmony as much as I do my D* RC32RF remote. It does exactly what I need it to do 99% of the time (controls those functions)

1. It controls the DVR and has backlit keys.
2. It controls the volume on my Onkyo 605 HT receiver.

Nothing could be simpler or more efficient for me.

+1
Agreed. When I first setup my DVR systems, I purchased the Harmony 880, thinking that I would use that more often with my HT. Once I found out how to punch through the volume to my receiver, I don't use the Harmony anymore. It was still easier to use trickplay, etc on the D* remote.

Now my wife uses the Harmony and I use the D* remote. We have remote wars:lol: . Only function I miss is the ability to power on/off all of my components with one button push.
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#23 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

When we first got our HR10-250 I thought the remote was AWFUL. (I had Sony receivers before and liked their clean layout.) But I ended up being quite content with the Tivo remote. Then we got the R15 and I loathed it's layout. It seemed more random than the Tivo.

Well, now I've got the HR20 remote and I'm fine with it. I like that it's bigger than the R15 and I've gotten used to the button placement. It's not perfect but it does the job just fine.

Still, I like using my Harmony 880.

#24 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

Maybe I'm way off, but IMHO, the point of DirecTV, HD, DVR's, LCD, Plasma TVs etc, is that you are focusing on the picture on the big panel in front of you. If you're watching the remote, you're doing it wrong.

#25 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

As a long time TIVO D* user and now a three day HR20 user I will say "as of now" yes the HR20 remote is a little confusing. Of course I am sure, just like everything else, that after some use it will be come easier.

But I have been using a MX-500 for a few years. Programming this sometimes can be a little tedious especially if I have to use custom learning. I removed my Series 2 D* tivo from the setup and now I have a hr10-250 and a hr20-100 both hooked up along with the reciever, tv, dvd player. I need to reprogram a lot to get the remote up todate. I really am looking to upgrade my remote anyways. I want something easier to program but powerful (For ME) and something easy to use for my wife / inlaws/ babysitters and kids. What remote is better the Harmony 880 or MX-700? (or there even newer ones at the same price?)

#26 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

+1 love the mx-500, although the center button is weak. The only difference is never told the wife $$$ :) :) :)

Back on topic.

i too rarely use the out of box remote. I think the OP will be excited with the mx500 or any universal.

Why would I care a thing about the remote? First thing I do is program my Mx-700 and toss the remote in the "remote graveyard" box to never see the light of day again. ;)

Seriously, get a good Univerasal programmable remote like an MX or Harmony and you will never know how you lived without them. WAF is high. I repeat, WAF is high. My wife thought I was nuts paying $150 for a remote a few years ago (MX-500, long since retired) but after a week she couldn't believe we hadn't done it years before. Same remote, same interface for all receivers. Press a button and all settings are automatically changed (i.e. press "Watch DVD" button sets everything up to watch a DVD). WAF can't be beat.

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#27 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

+1
Agreed. When I first setup my DVR systems, I purchased the Harmony 880, thinking that I would use that more often with my HT. Once I found out how to punch through the volume to my receiver, I don't use the Harmony anymore. It was still easier to use trickplay, etc on the D* remote.

Now my wife uses the Harmony and I use the D* remote. We have remote wars:lol: . Only function I miss is the ability to power on/off all of my components with one button push.

The first thing I did when programming my Harmony was to disable the ability to turn specific things off. I want sole control over my DLP TV, and I NEVER turn my HR20 off, no do I turn my HT receiver off (if I do, I can't make recordings overnight on my DVD recorder, as all video is routed via the HT receiver). Turning a DLP on and off more often than absolutely necessary, just kills the lamp life. Mine goes one once per day and stays on, unless the TV won't be viewed for more than 4 hours. Striking the lamp in a DLP is said to be the equivalent of 12 hours of bulb use. I can't verify that "rule of thumb", but I will say that I have well over 3000 hours on my original lamp, observing this precaution.

While I thought originally the ability to turn all stuff off, was neat...but for me it wasn't functional.

What I do like is the turn on/turn off for DVD players, DVD recorders and other peripherals when not in use. That is a GREAT feature of the Harmony (and other) multi-function remotes.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#28 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:13 AM

Another vote for a programable remote :)
Without mine my wife would never be able to watch anything (and the phone calles to work would be endless)..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#29 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

+1 love the mx-500, although the center button is weak.

I think that's a fair criticism. There are times when I have to hit that button on my MX-600 2x or 3X before it's recognized.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#30 OFFLINE   Sander

Sander

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Why would I care a thing about the remote? First thing I do is program my Mx-700 and toss the remote in the "remote graveyard" box to never see the light of day again. ;)

Seriously, get a good Univerasal programmable remote like an MX or Harmony and you will never know how you lived without them. WAF is high. I repeat, WAF is high. My wife thought I was nuts paying $150 for a remote a few years ago (MX-500, long since retired) but after a week she couldn't believe we hadn't done it years before. Same remote, same interface for all receivers. Press a button and all settings are automatically changed (i.e. press "Watch DVD" button sets everything up to watch a DVD). WAF can't be beat.

I've been tempted to get the Harmony, but I guess I'm still confused on how one remote with a limited number of buttons can replace every other remote. For example, I want to balance the sound levels on my six surround speakers with my Denon A/V system. On their remote, one needs to open up a hidden compartment to get at the sound setup system parameters. Or for the HR20 remote, where are the color buttons?

#31 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

Maybe it's just me then. I have tried that HR20 remote and I absolutely loathe it. I think I will cling to my HR10 until the last pixel of HD content is disabled on it by DirecTV and then I'll pray to the good lord above that Dish or TW or someone else links up with Tivo, or DirecTV provides an alternative remote to their current one. Woe is me, woe is me!

The longer you have used the Peanut the harder it is to switch. I still occasionally hit select when I want pause. FWIW you can get used to it with time. I have had my HR20 since spring of 2006, and (except for occasional pause goofs) and I'm almost fully converted. :lol:
Antique
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR23-700 (passed away, hard drive in lieu of flowers), Panasonic TC-32LX85, Two receivers HDMI (Toslink audio to Sherwood R7502 7.1 A/V Receiver in living room). One receiver component.
Wired network, from Dell 530S, 2.2Dual, 3gig mem, vod enabled, AT&T 2WIRE Broadband Router in computer room. 3 mgbit download speed.
Three composite hookups to RCA RF modulator to 20" Toshiba SD TV in bedroom and 13" Samsung TV in computer room.
Added blu-ray panasonic xmas 2008, added D-link switch in living room, Roku player, March 2009.

#32 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

Two words: Harmony 880 :)

Is 880 a word? :)

Welcome to the forum!

#33 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

I've been tempted to get the Harmony, but I guess I'm still confused on how one remote with a limited number of buttons can replace every other remote.

I use my Harmony 880 (as do my wife, in-laws, parents, etc...) for day to day usage. I have mine fairly customized, but don't have it "programmed to the hilt" in order to 100% replace every out of the box remote.

Thus I can do some basic menu configuration via the Harmony, but for the 1/month or so that I need to do some more detailed config, I dig the OEM remotes out of their box in the media cabinet.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#34 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

I've been tempted to get the Harmony, but I guess I'm still confused on how one remote with a limited number of buttons can replace every other remote. For example, I want to balance the sound levels on my six surround speakers with my Denon A/V system. On their remote, one needs to open up a hidden compartment to get at the sound setup system parameters. Or for the HR20 remote, where are the color buttons?

I can't speak to the Harmony but I have the MX-700. I can control 10 devices on the remote. Each device besides all the "hard" buttons (numbers, FFW, Menu, etc.) there are 4 LCD "pages", 10 functions each so you can learn 40 different codes for each device beyond the hard buttons. And you custom lable each button. I highly doubt you'd fill all that up. ;)

So your A/V system for example, you can learn all those buttons in the hidden compartment to the LCD screen.

And once it's all setup you can then do macros. So on my main remote page if you press the "DVD" button down for 2 seconds it runs a macro that switches the input on the TV and switches the A/V receiver to the proper input and change the device page on the remote to the proper device. I could also set a theater mode on the A/V receiver and turn on the DVD player if I wanted. It's all programmed on the computer so it's point and click macros really. This is the WAF. All she needs to know is push the button for the "activity" she wants to do for 2 seconds and she's all set. Very little training. ;)

You also have several "favorite" screens which you can input stations on. So what I used to do for Sunday Ticket was create one screen for early games and one screen for late games. Say the Bears were on channel 715. I'd then create a favorite that would punch in "7 1 5 enter" and I'd label it "Bears". So if I wanted to see the Bears game I simply hit the button for Bears. I have no idea what channel it's on. :)

So anyway, back to your original question. When you press DVD, the buttons are for your DVD player. Press Tivo, it's for your Tivo and so forth. So FFW will FFW but for whichever device is active. The Harmony's work pretty much the same.

That's what a Universal Remote does, it really replaces all your remotes.

And if you want to really geek out, go to http://www.remotecentral.com
Yes, there is an entire web site and very active forums dedicated to just remotes. ;)

#35 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

I like the HR20 remote especially tbe backlit version. The buttons are bigger and very easy to find.

I would recommend the opinions above (universal remote, etc). You are missing out on some neat stuff.

#36 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

I actually bought 3 of the HR20 remotes in the RF version with the backlighting for a grand total of $75.

And I was a peanut guy too - since my first DSR-6000 and 2 HR10-250's.

It took me about 2 days to get used to them.

I actually prefer the D* remote because it's RF and backlighted.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#37 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:45 PM

Maybe it's just me then. I have tried that HR20 remote and I absolutely loathe it. I think I will cling to my HR10 until the last pixel of HD content is disabled on it by DirecTV and then I'll pray to the good lord above that Dish or TW or someone else links up with Tivo, or DirecTV provides an alternative remote to their current one. Woe is me, woe is me!

Relax - the HR20 is a damn good machine. The remote is nowhere near as bad as I thougt it would be. I really wanted to hate the remote, being a Tivo-phile, but I now really like it.

Plus, the SAF is higher, which is a very good thing

(SAF = Spousal Acceptance Factor)

DirecTV customer since 1996

#38 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

Scott, as I have said b4 love my mx, though not many out there... but do you fumble wih that center button too? Curious..

I can't speak to the Harmony but I have the MX-700. I can control 10 devices on the remote. Each device besides all the "hard" buttons (numbers, FFW, Menu, etc.) there are 4 LCD "pages", 10 functions each so you can learn 40 different codes for each device beyond the hard buttons. And you custom lable each button. I highly doubt you'd fill all that up. ;)

So your A/V system for example, you can learn all those buttons in the hidden compartment to the LCD screen.

And once it's all setup you can then do macros. So on my main remote page if you press the "DVD" button down for 2 seconds it runs a macro that switches the input on the TV and switches the A/V receiver to the proper input and change the device page on the remote to the proper device. I could also set a theater mode on the A/V receiver and turn on the DVD player if I wanted. It's all programmed on the computer so it's point and click macros really. This is the WAF. All she needs to know is push the button for the "activity" she wants to do for 2 seconds and she's all set. Very little training. ;)

You also have several "favorite" screens which you can input stations on. So what I used to do for Sunday Ticket was create one screen for early games and one screen for late games. Say the Bears were on channel 715. I'd then create a favorite that would punch in "7 1 5 enter" and I'd label it "Bears". So if I wanted to see the Bears game I simply hit the button for Bears. I have no idea what channel it's on. :)

So anyway, back to your original question. When you press DVD, the buttons are for your DVD player. Press Tivo, it's for your Tivo and so forth. So FFW will FFW but for whichever device is active. The Harmony's work pretty much the same.

That's what a Universal Remote does, it really replaces all your remotes.

And if you want to really geek out, go to http://www.remotecentral.com
Yes, there is an entire web site and very active forums dedicated to just remotes. ;)

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#39 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

Scott, as I have said b4 love my mx, though not many out there... but do you fumble wih that center button too? Curious..

Nope. I think that was an issue with the MX-500 but I don't have it on my MX-700.

#40 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

I like the HR20 remote especially tbe backlit version. The buttons are bigger and very easy to find.

I would recommend the opinions above (universal remote, etc). You are missing out on some neat stuff.

+1 I have the backlit version of the HR20 remote and I loved it. I've since moved on to a Harmony Remote (xBox360 version). It has a glow button for a backlight and colored buttons to match the ones on the HR20 remotes for interactive.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

Protected By... spam firewall...And...