Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Remote is Deal Killer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

Maybe it's just me then. I have tried that HR20 remote and I absolutely loathe it. I think I will cling to my HR10 until the last pixel of HD content is disabled on it by DirecTV and then I'll pray to the good lord above that Dish or TW or someone else links up with TiVo, or DirecTV provides an alternative remote to their current one. Woe is me, woe is me!

First, Welcome!

Once you spend some time over here, you will see that we are the fun ones! :)

It took everyone in my family about 1 to 2 days to adjust to the HR20 remote when we moved from the TiVo remote.

Now when we use the TiVo it feels weird to all of us. We now all greatly prefer the HR20 remote.

I think that this has more to do with what we are comfortable with than the TiVo remote being a "bad" remote.

And as a converting TiVo user, your war cry is supposed to be DLB not the remote. :)

See the TiVo Users Survival Guide for more.

- Craig

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

mbamenra, spend some time on milo's tips and tricks, and other of his amazing documents, youll cut your learning time to nothing. Its still on my coffee table. he has done yoemans work on these.

And if you have DLB withdrawl, come to the existing DLB sticky thread in lieu of creating a new one...

We'll leave the light on for ya...

First, Welcome!

Once you spend some time over here, you will see that we are the fun ones! :)

It took everyone in my family about 1 to 2 days to adjust to the HR20 remote when we moved from the TiVo remote.

Now when we use the TiVo it feels weird to all of us. We now all greatly prefer the HR20 remote.

I think that this has more to do with what we are comfortable with than the TiVo remote being a "bad" remote.

And as a converting TiVo user, your war cry is supposed to be DLB not the remote. :)

See the TiVo Users Survival Guide for more.

- Craig

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#43 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Two words: Harmony 880 :)

you took the words right out of my mouth. It's peanut shaped and almost perfect for the task. If the IR emitter was a little stronger, it would be the remote of all time.

If the Tivo remote is really the one for you, check out the Tivo Glo remote at

http://dynamic.tivo.com/2.7.1.asp

I don't know anyone who's tried this but supposedly it's a learning remote that is the same shape as the Tivo peanut.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   Haps

Haps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

Striking the lamp in a DLP is said to be the equivalent of 12 hours of bulb use. I can't verify that "rule of thumb"

I have heard it's the equivalent of 2hrs. Would be real nice to know a more accurate estimate.

Put me in the camp of people that mourns the lose of the peanut. I just recently got an HR20 and am trying to adjust to the remote but do have issues with it.

I think I would dislike it a lot more if they swapped the play control section with the menu section. Having the ff buttons and instand replay at the top sucks for me. It's not comfortable to hold and I use thos functions most often.

#45 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

I have heard it's the equivalent of 2hrs. Would be real nice to know a more accurate estimate.

Put me in the camp of people that mourns the lose of the peanut. I just recently got an HR20 and am trying to adjust to the remote but do have issues with it.

I think I would dislike it a lot more if they swapped the play control section with the menu section. Having the ff buttons and instand replay at the top sucks for me. It's not comfortable to hold and I use thos functions most often.

I'd put my value of 12 hours in the category of an unconfirmed rumor. In any case, excessive striking of the bulb will shorten bulb life. I use 3 or 4 hours for my "turn it off" point and the bulb life has been fantastic. YMWV (will vary, not might vary):D

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#46 OFFLINE   kbohip

kbohip

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:42 AM

It's funny, the one thing I can't wait to get away from when switching to the HR20 is the Tivo remote. I hate it. I really hate how they stuck the tv power button directly below the replay button. This is the stupidest idea ever! I don't know how many times that I've turned the tv off when I thought I was hitting the instant replay button.

I also think the clear and enter/last buttons are in a horrible place below the numbers. Why not put them above the numbers like all of the other function keys? I also don't like the arrows button. There have been a lot of times that I pressed it the wrong way (usually to the left) while moving up and down in the SP manager and guess what? I see "Please wait...this might take a while" pop up.:nono2:

There are some nice things about the Tivo remote too. I do like the shape of it and how it fits in my hand. It makes it easy to hold it one handed. The play/ff/rw/slow keys are also in a perfect place on the remote as well.

#47 OFFLINE   pixlpush

pixlpush

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:12 AM

I couldn't care less about either remote since I have a Home Theater Master MX-600 Universal Remote.

an old mx-500 here but I couldn't agree more. Get a universal that you can program and you'll never look back. The Tivo remote is ok but I hated that it has no back light.
My HR10-250 is dead to me

#48 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

Two words: Harmony 880 :)

+1

#49 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

I've been tempted to get the Harmony, but I guess I'm still confused on how one remote with a limited number of buttons can replace every other remote. For example, I want to balance the sound levels on my six surround speakers with my Denon A/V system. On their remote, one needs to open up a hidden compartment to get at the sound setup system parameters. Or for the HR20 remote, where are the color buttons?

You are correct that the Harmony 880 has a set number of "hard" buttons, but the colored display gives you endless possibilities to add buttons from your OEM remote. I used the 880 for 2 years and loved it. I added ALL buttons for all 7 of my devices to it. There seriously was not 1 button on any of the OEM remotes that was not on my 880. I was able to clean off the coffee table, and put the 7 remotes in the remote graveyard. The Harmony with the colored buttons that he is referring to is the 880 from the UK I believe???? The colored buttons are in place of the up and down buttons that are right under the display. I have now used the Harmony 1000 since January, and have done the same, all button are in there. The advantage as well to the Harmony remotes is that you can place the buttons wherever you like on the screen......if you want button x next to button h, then do it!:D

I use the RC32RF for the HR20 in the bedroom, and like it better than my old "peanut", I like the layout, the backlit buttons, and the RF!!!!:D
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#50 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

The Xbox360 version of the Harmony remote also has the colored buttons.

http://www.logitech....es/375&cl=us,en
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#51 OFFLINE   m4p

m4p

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

Maybe it's just me then. I have tried that HR20 remote and I absolutely loathe it. I think I will cling to my HR10 until the last pixel of HD content is disabled on it by DirecTV and then I'll pray to the good lord above that Dish or TW or someone else links up with Tivo, or DirecTV provides an alternative remote to their current one. Woe is me, woe is me!

I wasn't that crazy about the HR20 remote so I bought a Harmony and love it. But I wouldn't let a remote stop you from enjoying the upcoming HD mp4 content. Maybe they have a 12 step program for remotes? :D

#52 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

What I do like is the turn on/turn off for DVD players, DVD recorders and other peripherals when not in use. That is a GREAT feature of the Harmony (and other) multi-function remotes.

Another thing I like is a pseudo 1 button guide on the R15 with the Harmony . I did get rather good at double punching the D* remote, but it has messed me up with the 1 button guide on the HR20.
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#53 OFFLINE   ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

Maybe it's just me then. I have tried that HR20 remote and I absolutely loathe it. I think I will cling to my HR10 until the last pixel of HD content is disabled on it by DirecTV and then I'll pray to the good lord above that Dish or TW or someone else links up with Tivo, or DirecTV provides an alternative remote to their current one. Woe is me, woe is me!

It isn't that I have never used any other remotes but the TiVo peanut. I've used some that were worse some that were a lot worse, but IMHO, none better.

I suppose I could get used to a jockstrap lined with nettles if I had to (not a bad analogy), but I will NEVER get used to the HR20 remote. I tried very hard. Yes, it has an RFI transmitter, but in my installations, that makes no difference.

Thank goodness for Harmony universal remotes, or I would be an ex-DirecTV customer!

#54 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

It isn't that I have never used any other remotes but the TiVo peanut. I've used some that were worse some that were a lot worse, but IMHO, none better.

I suppose I could get used to a jockstrap lined with nettles if I had to (not a bad analogy), but I will NEVER get used to the HR20 remote. I tried very hard. Yes, it has an RFI transmitter, but in my installations, that makes no difference.

Thank goodness for Harmony universal remotes, or I would be an ex-DirecTV customer!

Umm no offense, but how can you judge your TV service provider on the remote they offer?? That is a little extreme if you ask me. You should be judging staying with D* based on their programing and services and not a remote. I didn't mind the TiVo peanut, but i didnt love it......probably its placement of the power button and input button annoyed me. I actually like the D* remote better........buy thatts aside from my point just because i really didnt like the TiVo when it was the only things available doesnt mean i would drop them.

#55 OFFLINE   Galley

Galley

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

I prefer the DirecTV remote over the TiVo peanut. The layout seems more logical. RF is a plus. :)

#56 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

I like my TV, my HR20, my sound system and other accessories. The remote? I push the buttons untill I see what I like and throw it on the couch.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#57 OFFLINE   markmicallef

markmicallef

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

I find it works well, I had it on RF and found it slow to respond and switched it back to IR
Mark Micallef
Chino, CA

#58 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

Tivo peanut is the best remote ever made. Not that it doesn't have a couple of things that could be better, but is as close to perfect as any remote I've ever held.

HR20 remote is not that bad, but it could be so much better than it is.

I've recently gotten both a Harmony 880 and 670 and they ain't that great either. The 880's playback buttons are horribly positioned and the damn clicky clicky hard plastic buttons on both Harmony remotes are annoying as hell.

The 670's playback button layout is ok, but the buttons have absoulelty ZERO tactile feel to them. Feels like running your fingers over a slab of small ball bearings.

Both the Harmony's are powerful remotes yes, but are junk in terms of phyiscal design IMO.

#59 OFFLINE   ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

Umm no offense, but how can you judge your TV service provider on the remote they offer?? That is a little extreme if you ask me. You should be judging staying with D* based on their programing and services and not a remote. I didn't mind the TiVo peanut, but i didnt love it......probably its placement of the power button and input button annoyed me. I actually like the D* remote better........buy thatts aside from my point just because i really didnt like the TiVo when it was the only things available doesnt mean i would drop them.

Yes. Just did. As far as I'm concerned, EVERYTHING a TV service provider offers is interface. They don't create the program material, you know.

All kinds of things about the HR20 (interface) are a step backward from TiVo. TiVo was about keeping things simple and intuitive. The HR20 is just the opposite and its remote is sympomatic of "design by committee." Its great that DirecTV is getting more HD. But so is everyone else.

Seems like you are making necessity (putting up with a crappy interface to obtain more programming) into a virtue. ;)

#60 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

You should switch to a service where you can use Tivo as soon as it is financially practical. Life is too short to be angry every time you try to watch TV. If it bothered me as much as you I probably wouldn't use it at all and just watch mpeg 2 on my Tivo.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...