Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Remote is Deal Killer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

You should switch to a service where you can use Tivo as soon as it is financially practical. Life is too short to be angry every time you try to watch TV. If it bothered me as much as you I probably wouldn't use it at all and just watch mpeg 2 on my Tivo.

Where did you get the impression I was angry? Didn't you see the smiley? I'm not angry. I just understand what makes the wheels turn at DirecTV, and it isn't paying TiVo money when they don't have to.

I could switch to Comcast and get a Series 3 TiVo. Thought about it, and it ain't worth it. I have the finances, just know the value of a buck.

:D :D A Harmony remote won't fix what's wrong with the HR20, but then it's only $75.00:D :D

(Please make note of the smileys)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

Everything changes.. When xp came out I hated it, then I got used to it.. now I'm on Vista, still some things I don't like about it but a little tweaking and some time I'm actualy quite used to it now...
Took some time to get used to even having a DVR but my 2 HR20's have worked well and I would realy miss them now :)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#63 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

Just curious, those of you that have a Harmony remote, how do you have the color buttons set up?

Will it ever be possible for the unit to operate in IR and RF mode at the same time, so that you can use a Harmony in the main room and and RF remote in another room?

Thanks

#64 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

I set the color buttons on the soft keys of both of mine.

I sure hope they make it where the IR and RF reciever can be made active at the same time. I don't hold out much hope that they will though.

#65 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,944 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

Just curious, those of you that have a Harmony remote, how do you have the color buttons set up?

Will it ever be possible for the unit to operate in IR and RF mode at the same time, so that you can use a Harmony in the main room and and RF remote in another room?

Thanks

I have red and green on the up- and down-arrows and have yellow and blue programmed into the soft keys of my Harmony 880. If the 885 wasn't a lot more money I'd go for that one, since it comes with the four color keys already (as does the Xbox 360 model).

I'd like to see the HR20 work with both IR and RF (I'd probably get rid of my R15 in that case).

#66 OFFLINE   mbamenra

mbamenra

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:41 AM

Thanks to everyone for their opinions on remotes. Ok, perhaps I will relent at some point soon and forsake the 6-year loyalty I've had to Tivo and my beloved remote (though I do agree on the funky placement of the power button). Maybe I'll pick up a gotdam expensive universal remote. Maybe even over time, the tears of grief over losing the first true love of my life (Tivo) will be fewer and further between. Damn, it just feels like infideliy. Tivo, I'm sorry, I am. If I do break down and convert, just know that I loved you deeply and always will have a special place for you in my heart. Woe is me.

#67 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:08 AM

Hard to believe anyone who has an HDTV/HR20 would use the default remote! Get rid of it... buy one of the many remotes that will control EVERYTHING...

The best I've found (for value and feel) are from universal remote... check them out... http://www.universalremote.com/

We currently are using a couple of their R7's...

By the way.. to me the Hormony remotes stink and are WAY to pricey You cannot FEEL them... the keys are too close and similar and small. With the R7 I can use it in total dark... great key setup.
* HR20 DVR *
* Panasonic 42" plasma TV *

#68 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

Hard to believe anyone who has an HDTV/HR20 would use the default remote! Get rid of it... buy one of the many remotes that will control EVERYTHING...

The best I've found (for value and feel) are from universal remote... check them out... http://www.universalremote.com/

We currently are using a couple of their R7's...

By the way.. to me the Hormony remotes stink and are WAY to pricey You cannot FEEL them... the keys are too close and similar and small. With the R7 I can use it in total dark... great key setup.

For 99% of my normal operations the RC32RF remote from D*(includes backlit keys) does what I need and my Harmony sits on the coffee table waiting for some heavy duty HT theater stuff.

What do I need: HR20 specific operations (which the D* does more ergonomically than any 3rd party remote), and adjust volume on my HT theater receiver.

BTW, is that Hormony remote you mention a Harmony on steroids?:)

I'm not taking sides on one 3rd party remote vs. another...but if someone operates the HR20/HT combo the way I do the majority of the time, a 3rd party remote of any kind is unnecessary. The RC32RF is 25 bucks.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#69 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Where did you get the impression I was angry? Didn't you see the smiley? I'm not angry. I just understand what makes the wheels turn at DirecTV, and it isn't paying TiVo money when they don't have to.

I could switch to Comcast and get a Series 3 TiVo. Thought about it, and it ain't worth it. I have the finances, just know the value of a buck.

:D :D A Harmony remote won't fix what's wrong with the HR20, but then it's only $75.00:D :D

(Please make note of the smileys)

Sorry guy! I was responding to the OP but neglected to use the quote.

spam firewall