Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HD Channel Identification

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cansv

cansv

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Does anyone know what actual numerical channel's the new ones will be on? Will they be 267-1 or on a whole new series of numbers?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:04 PM

1001, 1002, etc :D

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

Does anyone know what actual numerical channel's the new ones will be on? Will they be 267-1 or on a whole new series of numbers?

I think at this point it would all be speculation.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

If DIRECTV follows the model for locals and HD Regional Sports Networks, the HD channel and the SD channel will be the same, and the HD channel will appear before the SD channel in the guide and when punching in numbers.

The big mystery is where DIRECTV will put HD channels that don't have SD counterparts ... They could try to squeeze those new channels in empty slots (like MHD, the MTV HD channel). Worst case would be to renumber everything, but I don't think DIRECTV would go that far, for there are way more SD receivers in use than HD receivers, and DIRECTV would tick off a lot of people by moving channels around...

#5 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, I don't know. I have to say that I was very opposed to the 70's sequencing in the beginning, but it's actually kind of nice going straight there for HD stuff. Of course, I guess you can actually use the guide filtering to do that.

So, yeah, I'll go with a vote of same channel #. Can't wait to someday type 622 and see the pre-game show in HD!!
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#6 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

If DIRECTV follows the model for locals and HD Regional Sports Networks, the HD channel and the SD channel will be the same, and the HD channel will appear before the SD channel in the guide and when punching in numbers.

I have a question. I have an HR20 hooked up via HDMI to my HD set. It also is hooked up to two SD sets. I can tune to any HD channel on the SD sets and watch them -- it automatically displays the contesnt in SD. So, why don't they simply eliminate the SD version of a channel when the HD one becomes available? Won't HD owners be able to tune to it and watch in HD and SD owners use it for SD? Wouldn't it save bandwith and channel number space?

#7 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:45 AM

I have a question. I have an HR20 hooked up via HDMI to my HD set. It also is hooked up to two SD sets. I can tune to any HD channel on the SD sets and watch them -- it automatically displays the contesnt in SD. So, why don't they simply eliminate the SD version of a channel when the HD one becomes available? Won't HD owners be able to tune to it and watch in HD and SD owners use it for SD? Wouldn't it save bandwith and channel number space?

It would certainly save bandwidth to shutdown the SD channels, but the problem is there are millions of receivers out there that ONLY receive SD MPEG2 channels ... Only the new HR20 and H20 (and maybe Dxx) receivers can receive the MPEG4 channels, so if DirecTV wants to shut down MPEG2 SD, they'd have to swap out millions of receivers. That's an expensve proposition, and is one that would take a long time.

#8 OFFLINE   mapod

mapod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:23 AM

According to the NFL Sunday Ticket ad on their website the NFL Network will be on 95 if that helps.
:rolleyes:

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,111 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:42 AM

According to the NFL Sunday Ticket ad on their website the NFL Network will be on 95 if that helps.
:rolleyes:

95 is a HD sports catch-all channel. NFL network will have its own place on D10.

#10 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

Can't wait to someday type 622 and see the pre-game show in HD!!

What do you mean? The Yankees pre-game show is in HD.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#11 OFFLINE   dhines

dhines

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

on issue with doing that is SD is typicall in 4x3 and HD is 16x9. i am sure the SD only folks would really complain if they were forced to view everything in letterbox (even a 4x3 picture being shown in 16x9 would be letterbox'ed). so without that being resolved, even if they swapped out all the boxes this really wouldn't be an option.

#12 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

on issue with doing that is SD is typicall in 4x3 and HD is 16x9. i am sure the SD only folks would really complain if they were forced to view everything in letterbox (even a 4x3 picture being shown in 16x9 would be letterbox'ed). so without that being resolved, even if they swapped out all the boxes this really wouldn't be an option.

Actually, letterbox would be sweet for those without a HDTV/receiver...I would not mind a bit for the bedroom TV. But, that still doesn't help the millions of folks (like me) that still have a boatload of MPEG2 boxes.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#13 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

They might let NFL Network be on 95 again like last year as well as an mpeg 4 version being ST still will have a mpeg2 HD. By the middle of football season, there shouldn't be any more sneak peaks being those channels would already by HD full time by them that ought to help some of the bandwidth, Its only 3-4 hours. Next year will likely be a different story.
my setup here

#14 OFFLINE   ajwillys

ajwillys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

I think they should only do this for channels that are an exact simulcast of their SD station. If its a station that shows different content sometimes or all the time, they should not be the same channel, it would get too confusing.
AT9->WB68->HR20 and (2) R15's
Networked, HR20 Audio->Optical Digital->Pioneer VSX-D812K, HR20 Video->6' HDMI->Sony KDS-50A2000
R15's->Composite->TV's not worth mentioning

#15 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

More and more SD programming is 16:9. Almost all NBC shows, for example. And for the shows that aren't (e.g. CBS), they cut off the sides of the shows for the SD version (it's all shot in 16:9), so you're actually better off getting a letterboxed version.

#16 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

I think they should only do this for channels that are an exact simulcast of their SD station. If its a station that shows different content sometimes or all the time, they should not be the same channel, it would get too confusing.

That's the way it will be. The vast majority of the new channels they'll be adding will be simulcasts, so they'll end up on the same channel as the SD broadcast. Others, like MHD, will be put in where appropriate. They put MHD on 332 and not 331, because it's not a simulcast of MTV.

#17 OFFLINE   NYSmoker

NYSmoker

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, I don't know. I have to say that I was very opposed to the 70's sequencing in the beginning, but it's actually kind of nice going straight there for HD stuff. Of course, I guess you can actually use the guide filtering to do that.

So, yeah, I'll go with a vote of same channel #. Can't wait to someday type 622 and see the pre-game show in HD!!

I type 622 and see a pregame show in HD all the time, then I quickly switch to 625 to see a good team's HD pregame show. :P
HR21-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 42" LCD
HR20-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 26" LCD .

#18 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

I have had my HR20 hooked up to a 4:3 SD TV. The crop and stretch modes work in the opposite way of on a 16:9 set. They stretch vertically and crop to 4:3.

It was odd because watching baseball on an HD broadcast, eveything looked "normal" because the graphics are typically within the 4:3 field of a 16:9 broadcast anyway.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#19 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

It was odd because watching baseball on an HD broadcast, eveything looked "normal" because the graphics are typically within the 4:3 field of a 16:9 broadcast anyway.

Yep, pretty much everyone except TNT and HDNet do this.

#20 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

Yep, pretty much everyone except TNT and HDNet do this.

HDNet? I haven't seen it there. I like its hockey broadcasts.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...