Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HD Channel Identification

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

HDNet? I haven't seen it there. I like its hockey broadcasts.

HDNet doesn't put their graphics in the 4:3 safe area because they don't even have a 4:3 channel to worry about. TNT actually positions their graphics differently in HD and SD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

What do you mean? The Yankees pre-game show is in HD.

The other poster lives in New Hampshire, where YES-HD is not available.

#23 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:54 PM

I type 622 and see a pregame show in HD all the time, then I quickly switch to 625 to see a good team's HD pregame show. :P

haha. ditto. what's on 622 anyhow.... cricket?

#24 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, I don't know. I have to say that I was very opposed to the 70's sequencing in the beginning, but it's actually kind of nice going straight there for HD stuff. Of course, I guess you can actually use the guide filtering to do that.

So, yeah, I'll go with a vote of same channel #. Can't wait to someday type 622 and see the pre-game show in HD!!

I hope you really meant 623.

#25 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

I think I actually have an answer to this question of where the new HD channels are going. According to a buddy of mine the channels that have SD equivilents will just be a simucast, so for example the Discovery Channel will have its HD equivilent on 278 (basically there will be an SD 278, and HD 278). The reason I believe this is the local HD channels which are Mpeg 4 are being simucast that way currently. The question I guess still becomes what about HD net, HD net movies, Discovery HD Theater (which is not Discovery Channel in HD but a mix of Discovery networks programming) and Universal HD and where D* will place them.

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

Simulcast it is not a problem, but how system tables will works with two same channels' numbers ?

#27 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:28 AM

Simulcast it is not a problem, but how system tables will works with two same channels' numbers ?

They'll be just fine, since they're already dealing with it right now. The H20 and HR20 were designed to support more than one channel with the same number.

#28 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

They'll be just fine, since they're already dealing with it right now. The H20 and HR20 were designed to support more than one channel with the same number.

Yeah, for locals I already have for example:

4 - SD SAT
4 - HD SAT
4-1 HD OTA
(those three are all the same programs)
4-2 weather OTA
4-4 raw news OTA

spam firewall