Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Winipcfg in Windows 98 SE

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 10:03 AM

Alright I fixed that alptop but I have one lingering problem. It has internet access just fine and can ping anything on the network but it cant be seen by the other machines nor can it see them. yes sharing is turned on.

I noticed that winipcfg is by default looking at the PP adapter not the USB adapter Ia m now using. Any thoughts on how to get it to chnage that?
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 10:44 AM

What workgroup are you set to? Can you compare the config between a properly configed machine and this one. What is the PP Adapter?

Don't remember if this works under 98, but try on a good and the problem machine...

IPCONFIG /All >dbstalk.txt

and post both text files here.
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 10:41 PM

All machines set to same workgroup.

Command does not work on 98 SE
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 10:42 PM

Isn't there a drop down that allows you to pick a different adaptor?

#5 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 10:44 PM

You know what...

Try removing "TCP/IP->adapter", rebooting, and adding TCP/IP again.

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 10:54 PM

Will try James. Will try.

#7 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 07:57 AM

What you are describing is default behavior.... the PPP adapter always seems to be listed first. Change the pulldown to the adapter you are really using, and use the winipcfg tool to release/renew. The fact that the PPP adapter is listed first doesn't mean anything, nor does it affect operation at all.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#8 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 11:12 AM

I am not home but have done what you describe Neil. It still wont see the otyher machines but can see the internet and it can ping local network addresses.

#9 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 11:22 AM

If you can goto both good and bad machine, select the Network Card in WinIPCFG (like Neil Described), click on "Display All" button (or something like that) and write down what you see in each of the fields here (alot to write, but it is important to diagnose). If there is a 3rd of more adapter described then list those as well. We don't need the PPP adapter's listing only the other ones.

#10 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 06:01 PM

TCP IP reinstall did not work. But at least Ia m on the internet now.

#11 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 10:01 AM

Are you using a software firewall?
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#12 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 11:15 AM

Yes but I have disabled it during some of this.

#13 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 11:52 AM

How about reinstall? :D

#14 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 01:20 PM

Reinstall of what? I did try the OS reinstall.

#15 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 09:43 PM

I do not have the problem licked but I have learned a little bit about networking. I want to thank all of you for what i have learned but also for taking the time to help someone who was clearly in over his head on this aspect of computers.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

#16 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 09:55 PM

I don't know what to say. I've never had any luck with windows 98. We just never got off on the right foot. :crying:

#17 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 11:32 PM

I never had any luck with Windows at all before 2000 James. I don't think anybody who uses their computer as anything more than an expensive WebTV ever did have any luck with the consumer Windows before XP Home. And of course, Windows NT4 had zero compatibility. Then 2000 came along to save us all, an NT with compatibility. I never did understand the point in releasing Me though? Why not a 2000 Home? That's what made no sense to me. Why did Microsoft keep adding to the buggy junk that was Win9x...

#18 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 11:56 PM

Originally posted by James_F
I don't know what to say. I've never had any luck with windows 98. We just never got off on the right foot. :crying:

I used Win98 quite a bit. Never really had problems, kept the patches/service packs up to data as much as I could. But Having worked thru all versions of Win32, I'd be happy with 2000 and XP and forget the old stuff.

#19 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Zac
I never did understand the point in releasing Me though? Why not a 2000 Home? That's what made no sense to me. Why did Microsoft keep adding to the buggy junk that was Win9x...

Compatibility issues with very old apps. For example I have some DOS games (Steel Panthers I, II & III) They use a DOS extensionand it is rather unstable under NT/2000/XP Home & Pro. They were planning on making ME a real NT/2000 based OS but tooo many apps required tooo much time to get running and tooo many would not run. In an office environment you can kind of force the upgrading (as everything is depreciated over 3-5 years it is not out of the question for MS to say If you want A you have to upgrade to B and get a positive response) But it seemed that the home users were not going to make the jump. So they waited 2 more years, XP had the same issues of compatibiity but they assume that most apps by now people use are Win95 based or better and XP will handle that better. All a matter of timing for what people would consider acceptable to lose their old
apps requiring replacement.

Luckily for me Steel Panthers I was abandoned by the original vendor and a group of devoted developers came up with a Win95/98/ME/2000/XP compatible upgrade that works great. I only play 3 games and they were all pre Windows 95. Right now I can actually play 2 of them on XP :(

#20 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 12:11 AM

Zac, your problem is that you are spoiled. Networking Win95 is simplicity itself compared to MS-DOS. Win 3.1 was a big improvement, but still tricky. Win95 on is like falling off a log. At least in comparison. Shoot I finally upgraded to Win 98 just so I could install 2 NICs in my box more easily. In most cases its just a matter of filling in the right boxes. Then you occasionally have problems figuring out which box you forgot to check. Or Geronimo's problem which so far seems to not have fix. Yet its there somewhere, and I don't know about him, but I know I'd keep fiddling with it until I figured it out. Or lucked into an answer. I use computers in my work, in a limited way, but they are my hobby. Sometimes I feel like tearing my hair out, but when I figure it out it feels so good. Just like when you stop ramming your head against a brick wall. :D I don't know about just using my computers as an expensive WebTV. I've got four boxes networked here at home. One cost $225, one I picked up free, laptop I paid $600 for used, and in its last big upgrade one cost me $900, not counting various monitors and various cards etc. This is my hobby and I get a kick out of doing it cheap. I'm in no way an expert, but like Geronimo I've learned a few things along the way. Sometimes its about making what you have work, not just buying something else.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...