Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Al-Carte" Packages ARE out there!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

I don't know about DirecTV, but there's been a lot of discussion/suggestions to DishNetwork to provide more channels on an al-carte basis. Their argument is that the networks have all these contracts, etc. I'm sure it's true...

But check out what options are offered in the Canadian market via Starchoice. They have a bunch of small packages for $5 with 4-7 channels (page 2 of the pdf). I really wish that Dish or Direct offered something like this.

...Proof that it IS possible!! ...Like National Geographic for $2.49/month!!! Many of the channels are the same as offered in the US... If Direct and Dish had guts, they would go in together against the networks. Satellite is big enough business these days. I don't hear of too many people who are satisified with cable...

www.starchoice.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:17 PM

Possible, but not in this country on a mass scale. E* and D* have bulk pricing packages that are available to commercial accounts ... those show what a la cart could really be like in the US ---

Paying more for less channels and only getting discount for buying AT level packages

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

Yes, the Canadian system is very different, and it works. But it's the result of different cultural and political attitudes toward TV.

If you're playing Sim USA TV, you could click around to change contracts and write new laws and set up the same system in the US. (I've got to get around to writing a game like that some day.) But in the real US, there's no groundswell of public outrage at not having a la carte, and there are more businesses interested in keeping the status quo than in changing it.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

Canadian DBS and Cable systems have had the theme based packaging and a la carte for years, hopefully it NEVER makes it's way to the US and fortunately it looks like it never will. Back in the day Dish Network offered an a la carte package unsuccessfully. Dish Pix was a package, pick any 10 channels (with some limitations) for $15/month and additional channels for $1.50/month. For $5 more you could get AT40 with 4 times the number of channels A la carte just doesn’t make sense, package pricing seemed to work well for over 20 years.

I don't hear of too many people who are satisified with cable...

Here one for ya. After over 5 years with Dish and another 2 years with DirecTV I absolutely could not be happier with cable.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:07 AM

...Proof that it IS possible!! ...Like National Geographic for $2.49/month!!! Many of the channels are the same as offered in the US... If Direct and Dish had guts, they would go in together against the networks. Satellite is big enough business these days. I don't hear of too many people who are satisified with cable...

What a ripoff! 100 channels would cost $249/month! Keep this north of the border, please.

spam firewall