Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Caller ID

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:28 PM

Well I finally after all these years decided to get caller id for my home phone system. I had ignored a lot of msgs here previously re CID and HR20 since I didn't have CID.

Can anyone tell me, is it working properly now on the hr20-700, and wouldn't mind the steps to enable it if it is 'good to go'
Thanks

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
Samsung HL-S5687W 56" DLP
HR22-100
Panasonic 50" CRT HD (one heavy dude!)
Slimline 5LNB Dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

Has worked fine for me from day 1. Press MENU and scroll to the bottom. Select CallerID and Messages. Follow the steps there. It may already be enabled.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#3 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

Thanks, thugh I can remember some individulals having significant problems with it, at least I think so. And talking about how it wasn't fixed with such and such release etc.

There were so many issues back in nov/dec etc its hard to be sure. But guess I will give it a shot! Thanks.

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
Samsung HL-S5687W 56" DLP
HR22-100
Panasonic 50" CRT HD (one heavy dude!)
Slimline 5LNB Dish

#4 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

It has been working on all three boxes here since two patches ago.

#5 OFFLINE   jutley

jutley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

My CID is getting better, but still doesn't show about 25% of the time. The other problem I see reported and I have the same problem is the CID not showing until 3 or 4 rings.

YMMV since obviously several people are not having problems.
--Justin

SWiM3 Dish - (2) HR20-700s - (1) R16-300

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:12 PM

My CID is getting better, but still doesn't show about 25% of the time. The other problem I see reported and I have the same problem is the CID not showing until 3 or 4 rings.

YMMV since obviously several people are not having problems.

Usually takes two rings here. Which is the same on our phones and the HR-20.

#7 OFFLINE   Packerfan53

Packerfan53

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

We still have intermittent problems with Caller ID. The other day calls were showing in the call log but the notification didn't pop up on the screen when watching t.v. I did a reset and it starting working again.

Who knows how long it will work this time. It's erratic. At times it doesn't pop up on the screen or show in the call log.....kind of hit and miss..........has been like that for months. It does work more than it doesn't work however.

#8 OFFLINE   jutley

jutley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:17 PM

We still have intermittent problems with Caller ID. The other day calls were showing in the call log but the notification didn't pop up on the screen when watching t.v. I did a reset and it starting working again.

Who knows how long it will work this time. It's erratic. At times it doesn't pop up on the screen or show in the call log.....kind of hit and miss..........has been like that for months. It does work more than it doesn't work however.

Have had that same problem also...call log but no notification.
--Justin

SWiM3 Dish - (2) HR20-700s - (1) R16-300

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:23 AM

My CID has NEVER worked. Everything is on and notifications is on, but nothing shows up. Seens like my notifications works opposite. When I turn it on, it shows off when I check. Then when I turn it off, it shows on. What's with that?

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

CID functionality has been greatly increased. I have AT&T .. perhaps you do as well being close to me). Most setups are working well now, but there are still a few situations in which there are problems.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   EAGLES20

EAGLES20

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

I fine if I keep deleting the calls after about ten calls the CID works well. But I've gone through it not working most of the times and then I saw about deleting the call log and it has worked well since no more RBR to get it to work anymore. The first couple times I had to delete after the first few calls then it started to work with out anymore problems. I have the 700 and two 100's and I do it with all of them and now there picking up every call. I wish DirecTV would make the deleting a little easier but for now you have to do it one at a time. Good luck

#12 OFFLINE   roconnell

roconnell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

I've had my H20-700 for 5 months now and it's only logged 2 calls, three months apart, don't know if they were displayed but they do show on the log. I've checked the grounding and installed a telephone line surge protector and still nothing.

For those of you that it works...how many rings on the phone before it actually displays on your TV?
HR20-700
Panasonic 42", Plasma
OTA
HDMI
CID not functional

#13 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

CID has worked for me since day 1 with my HR20-100.

Ususally pops up the window onscreen after the first ring. Always by the second ring.

TDS is my service provider.

#14 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:30 AM

I started using it on one of my HR20's about 6 months ago. At first it worked every time and then for about 3 CE's/NR's it would work for a couple of days and then stop. But for the last 5 or 6 CE's/NR's it has work every time.

#15 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:16 AM

CID has worked here since day one. In all my observations (obviously not every call), I have witnessed two calls that my Uniden CID enabled phone displayed that the HR20 did not...and that was a few months ago.

For me, CID works fine...it's useless, but it works. :)

(useless because 95% of callers block their "name" and I don't find phone numbers particularly intersting, nor would I want to pay for them. I currently getting CID free because the local phone company appreciates me testing it on the D* boxes and reporting back to them as new firmware releases come out.)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

CID working from Day 1 - through a new line run specifically for the purpose of attaching to a DVR.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

(useless because 95% of callers block their "name" and I don't find phone numbers particularly intersting, nor would I want to pay for them. I currently getting CID free because the local phone company appreciates me testing it on the D* boxes and reporting back to them as new firmware releases come out.)

You can program your phone line to reject anonymous calls.

Some still get thru, however.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#18 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

You can program your phone line to reject anonymous calls.

Some still get thru, however.

It depends on your phone service provider - some offer anonymous call blocking, some don't. I also have noticed that the "quality" of CID information varies by provider - when I switched from Vonage to Verizon VoiceWing, I saw some calls coming in with name info where I hadn't for those numbers before.

So far, the CID notices on my HR20 match what my phone says and it has caught all of them.

Steve

My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

Caller ID works on my daughters HR20,but not on mine.

spam firewall