Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#1981 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

:backtotop:

[He did answer to the question in other thread today]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1982 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

No protocol that I am aware of, at least not anymore. I have reset different units for different reasons at different times and it has made zero difference. The only "protocol" that needs to be followed in terms of when you reboot which is if you are trying to make the hr34 use less than all its tuners, and there is zero reason to ever do that.

I do remember reading something about the way the 34s would impact a reboot of the whole MRV system, but that was when the 34s were just released. Guess they fixed that.

Rich, just curios, how many dvrs do you have now, and how big of a hard drive do you have on each of them? How many actual tvs do you have?

11 HRs with 2TB drives in or on them and one HR with a stock drive. 10 HRs on MRV. 12 using MRV was a bit too much for the MRV to cope with and I kept losing HRs. Going back to 10 seems to have fixed this. HRs-- six 24-500s four 20-700s and two (believe it or not) 24-100s.

I have 8 Panny plasmas. 2 SWM16s. And a rather monstrous D* bill... :lol:

Rich

#1983 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,664 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

I do remember reading something about the way the 34s would impact a reboot of the whole MRV system, but that was when the 34s were just released. Guess they fixed that.

11 HRs with 2TB drives in or on them and one HR with a stock drive. 10 HRs on MRV. 12 using MRV was a bit too much for the MRV to cope with and I kept losing HRs. Going back to 10 seems to have fixed this. HRs-- six 24-500s four 20-700s and two (believe it or not) 24-100s.

I have 8 Panny plasmas. 2 SWM16s. And a rather monstrous D* bill... :lol:

Rich

Monstrous is likely right! Yikes! :)

See, someday, six months or a year or so, when they allow for more than one hr34 in a system, I could see you moving to four hr34s and four hr24's, having no issues with mrv because you'd be down to 8 uinits, and you could upgrade the oldest four 2tb drives to 4 tb drives for the hr34s and have all the same amount of duplication, and more available with less units. In fact, you'd actually end up with 4 more tuners, so you might even be good to move to c31s in a couple places if you have bedroom ones that you'd prefer to be quieter...

I'm just think about how fun that system would be to set up! :) Personally, I'd like three HR34s. One for all my tv series, two to use for all my sports and random auto records.... :)

#1984 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

Monstrous is likely right! Yikes! :)

See, someday, six months or a year or so, when they allow for more than one hr34 in a system, I could see you moving to four hr34s and four hr24's, having no issues with mrv because you'd be down to 8 uinits, and you could upgrade the oldest four 2tb drives to 4 tb drives for the hr34s and have all the same amount of duplication, and more available with less units. In fact, you'd actually end up with 4 more tuners, so you might even be good to move to c31s in a couple places if you have bedroom ones that you'd prefer to be quieter...

I'm just think about how fun that system would be to set up! :) Personally, I'd like three HR34s. One for all my tv series, two to use for all my sports and random auto records.... :)

I do have a lot of fun with my setup. I can see exactly what you describe up the road, but I've gotta make sure if I change HRs the new HRs are stable. At the moment I wouldn't, couldn't go thru losing a 4TB that was running at 20% Available because the HR failed.

Rich

#1985 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,664 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

I do have a lot of fun with my setup. I can see exactly what you describe up the road, but I've gotta make sure if I change HRs the new HRs are stable. At the moment I wouldn't, couldn't go thru losing a 4TB that was running at 20% Available because the HR failed.

Rich

I hear ya. I am sure they will get there. You do have unusual luck though. of the probably 25 to 30 DVRs I, my folks, and my friends, have had over the years, one had a fan go bad, and two had a hard drvie that went bad (not counting my esata ones' which I had a couple go bad over the years starting with fap ones) so other than the one fan, I have never had any other issue with the hardware that would worry me about the receiver dying, just the hard drives. Personally, I am headed towards a raid 5 setup soon...

#1986 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

I hear ya. I am sure they will get there. You do have unusual luck though. of the probably 25 to 30 DVRs I, my folks, and my friends, have had over the years, one had a fan go bad, and two had a hard drvie that went bad (not counting my esata ones' which I had a couple go bad over the years starting with fap ones) so other than the one fan, I have never had any other issue with the hardware that would worry me about the receiver dying, just the hard drives. Personally, I am headed towards a raid 5 setup soon...

Unusual luck. Good way to put it. I've had over 60 HRs since late '06. Yeah, I know it's unusual, but there it is. I wouldn't have bought six HRs on eBay and CL if I had any faith in D*'s replacements. Those 60 HRs are documented by D*, many more went back without activation. Pretty lousy luck when you think about it. Oh, well. At least it's not boring.

Rich

#1987 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

I am headed towards a raid 5 setup soon...

I have been using RAID5 for about 6 months... and am very happy with it... only wish the HR34 had the support for >2TB when i did it... now would be a pain to put a bunch of bigger HDD's in the enclosure...

Edited by BAHitman, 02 October 2012 - 02:38 PM.

HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#1988 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

meaned > 2 TB ?

Yup... if only those keys weren't so close to each other... :)

-BAHitman

#1989 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'm testing Seagate 3 TB inside of h2k now :P.

#1990 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

h2k?

-BAHitman

#1991 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm not fan-boy of particular provider, so I can do whatever I'd like.

Actually, thick point was: dish has implemented support drives with AF [4K sectors] for EHD but DTV is sleeping at the corenr.
Perhaps dish done that for internal drives too, so checking is on the way ...

Edited by P Smith, 02 October 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#1992 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Which model of HR?

Rich

#1993 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

its dish's hopper 2000

#1994 OFFLINE   Ed Snape

Ed Snape

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thing is, the enclosures and docks are cheap and prone to failure. The most dependable device I've found is the Thermaltake docking station. He might have just gotten a bad enclosure. There have been problems reported with getting the EURS HDDs to be recognized by the HRs.

So, even tho most external devices and HDDs work right off the bat, we still see some problems.

About "For what it's worth", it's good to post that you have working equipment similar or exactly like the equipment that another member is having problems with. Narrows down the possibilities for us.

Rich

Hi Rich,
My Antec MX1's fan got too noisey to tolerate after about two years service. Moved drive to Thermaltake Max 5 which is not recognized by the HR21-100. Moved drive back to MX1 and it works fine with HR21, but still noisey of course. Does the drive power in external boxes come through the eSATA connection or from the box power supply. It seems that the drive spins up when powering up the MX1, but stays dormant when the Max5 is powered up. Considering the Thermaltake Docking Station, but there are a lot ob bad reviews out on it and I am fearfull. Do you reccomend it for the HR21?

#1995 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Your devices (all of them) are not eSATAp type, so no, no power goes over SATA connections.

And please provide references to "a lot of bad reviews" of TT Dock. BTW, what model ? There are many different models.

#1996 OFFLINE   Ed Snape

Ed Snape

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Your devices (all of them) are not eSATAp type, so no, no power goes over SATA connections.

And please provide references to "a lot of bad reviews" of TT Dock. BTW, what model ? There are many different models.

Thermaltake Black X eSATA USB
48 one and two stars out of 316 total on Amazon.

#1997 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

So lame ... don't care how other ppl would follow you ... URL is not an option. Duh ! :(

Here is the dock http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_e_5

4.1 score and 189:63:16:10:38 reviews (5 to 1 star respectively).

#1998 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

[quote name='"Ed Snape"']
Hi Rich,
My Antec MX1's fan got too noisey to tolerate after about two years service. Moved drive to Thermaltake Max 5 which is not recognized by the HR21-100. Moved drive back to MX1 and it works fine with HR21, but still noisey of course. Does the drive power in external boxes come through the eSATA connection or from the box power supply. It seems that the drive spins up when powering up the MX1, but stays dormant when the Max5 is powered up. Considering the Thermaltake Docking Station, but there are a lot ob bad reviews out on it and I am fearfull. Do you reccomend it for the HR21?[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="Rich"]

Thing is, the enclosures and docks are cheap and prone to failure. The most dependable device I've found is the Thermaltake docking station. He might have just gotten a bad enclosure. There have been problems reported with getting the EURS HDDs to be recognized by the HRs.

So, even tho most external devices and HDDs work right off the bat, we still see some problems.

About "For what it's worth", it's good to post that you have working equipment similar or exactly like the equipment that another member is having problems with. Narrows down the possibilities for us.

Rich[/QUOTE]

Update -- re: I have the newer version Rosewill RX-358 U3C with the 3TB model of the WD AV-GP drive attached to my HR-34...

I experienced a period where the playback on my TV would start dropping audio/video to a black screen for a few seconds then come back on at the spot where the video had advanced to in that 'black screen' period (not at the original dropped spot). It would seem to do it at about 15 - 20 minutes into playback. After experimenting with various attempts to fix the problem, I found that if I stopped the playback and went to live TV for a minute or 2 and then either restarted the recorded show from the beginning (and FF to where the problem occurred) or resumed at the stopping point it would play fine. That showed that the problem was in the playback, not the original recording (I.e. the recording was intact).

Unfortunately, 2 changes occurred -- my HR34 updated it's software and I bought a 'better' eSata cable (replacing the cable included with the Rosewill enclosure, based on comments in this forum). After 20+ hours of playback (including some recordings made before the changes) the problem has not resurfaced. Wife is happy!

So I can't say which fixed the problem, but I do feel better with the upgraded cable. The upgraded cable is Sata 3 rated, and the stock cable was unrated. The Sata 3 rating exceeds the reported transfer rate of the enclosure, but that is at minimal cost difference to a Sata 2 rated cable.
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#1999 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE="Rich"]

Rich[/QUOTE]

Update -- re: I have the newer version Rosewill RX-358 U3C with the 3TB model of the WD AV-GP drive attached to my HR-34...

I experienced a period where the playback on my TV would start dropping audio/video to a black screen for a few seconds then come back on at the spot where the video had advanced to in that 'black screen' period (not at the original dropped spot). It would seem to do it at about 15 - 20 minutes into playback. After experimenting with various attempts to fix the problem, I found that if I stopped the playback and went to live TV for a minute or 2 and then either restarted the recorded show from the beginning (and FF to where the problem occurred) or resumed at the stopping point it would play fine. That showed that the problem was in the playback, not the original recording (I.e. the recording was intact).

Unfortunately, 2 changes occurred -- my HR34 updated it's software and I bought a 'better' eSata cable (replacing the cable included with the Rosewill enclosure, based on comments in this forum). After 20+ hours of playback (including some recordings made before the changes) the problem has not resurfaced. Wife is happy!

So I can't say which fixed the problem, but I do feel better with the upgraded cable. The upgraded cable is Sata 3 rated, and the stock cable was unrated. The Sata 3 rating exceeds the reported transfer rate of the enclosure, but that is at minimal cost difference to a Sata 2 rated cable.
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#2000 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

SATA revisions or better is a speed would be the rate: 1.5 Gbps, 3.0 Gbps and 6.0 Gbps.
Other designators are just created by marketing 'smarties' to mess with buyer's perception.

spam firewall