Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#2021 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

nope, only for those ppl who are flaming at forums and demonstrate outrageous ability to present complicated electronics as plumbing ;)
and btw, it's nor "self" type device, you must be presented in person to give you some measures of your capabilities :D

Keep digging your hole deeper.For what it's worth, I know exactly how to use a colonoscope. You forgot what my occupation is.

I'm not a DIY colonoscopy guy like yourself. :lol::lol:

Fred

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2022 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

enough

#2023 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

enough

Whatever you say, P Smith. Should have ended posts ago.

#2024 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Rich,

Do I ever agree with that! Same goes for plumbing and electrical work....but especially for DirecTV's external drives. If I do a simple plumbing job and get no leaks....it always leaks if I tighten the fitting a tad more to be sure. I believe in leave well-enough alone!

Fred

Yup, if it's working, leave it alone. I have that same problem with plumbing. Damn things always leak.

Rich

#2025 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Yup, if it's working, leave it alone. I have that same problem with plumbing. Damn things always leak.

Rich

I used to design and build audiophile speakers. Same thing applied to those. Simpler is better. If it works....stop right there! Just like plumbing:eek2:

Fred

#2026 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

I used to design and build audiophile speakers. Same thing applied to those. Simpler is better. If it works....stop right there! Just like plumbing:eek2:

Fred

I've always been surprised at how...crappy plumbing equipment is. Pipes you can't put a wrench on because they'll collapse, fittings that seem simple but really require a sealant to work. I can do garbage disposal units without any problem, but getting a J trap to seal seems beyond me. Now they've finally started selling what looks like hydraulic connectors so the sealing is done mechanically.

But, I agree, Fred. If it works leave it alone.

Rich

#2027 OFFLINE   jimmyd-01

jimmyd-01

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

I posted a few weeks ago with a question about purchasing a Rosewill RX358 V2 and a WD20EURS drive for my HR24/500. I had read reviews at newegg about this enclosure disconnecting if the hard drive went into sleep mode, but I decide to give it a try. Just now received and assembled the new equipment but I can't get it started. I followed directions from earlier in this thread.
1)disconnected power from the dvr.
2)connected eSATA cable provided with the Rosewill enclosure.
3)powered up the new drive and allowed it to run for a couple of minutes.
4)reconnected power to the dvr.

It rebooted fine, but off the old internal drive - no mention of the external.

A couple of observations that might be useful - I don't know.
1) Only one light (the one on the left side of the front face) on the Rosewill came on - the second light (the one on the right side) did not. What does that second light (the one on the right side) signify. Could it be that the hard drive is not properly installed in the enclosure, or does that light only come on when the drive is communicating with the dvr, or does it mean something else all together??

2) The eSATA connectors are pushed firmly into place on the enclosure and the dvr, but they don't "snap" or lock into place, they just sort of fit snugly. Could it be that those connections aren't good?

3) I have Directv AM21 (for off-air signals) connected via the USB port and running fine. Could that USB connection disrupt the eSATA connedtion in some way, does anyone know if the AM21 is compatible with an external hard drive on the hr24?

Any other thougts, comments or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I live near Detroit and was hoping to get the rest of the baseball World Series recorded - beginning with tonights game. So any help today would be especially appreciated. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

#2028 OFFLINE   jimmyd-01

jimmyd-01

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

Did a few more experiments and learned the following:

1)disconnected the AM21 off-air tuner - didn't help

2)tightened eSATA connections - didn't help

3)I was wrong, the light on the right side of the enclosure face does light, but not constantly - it makes an occasional flash, one flash at each of the following times (on three trials)
20 secs after powering up the dvr
1:20 after powering up the dvr
2:00 after powering up the dvr
2:34 after powering up the dvr
During this time the screen displays the message: "Just a few more seconds"
This message is displayed around 3:15, after which the following message are displayed sequentially:
"Running receiver self-check"
"Step 1: Checking Satellite Settings"
"Step 2: Receiving Satellite Info"
The light on the enclosure flashes a 5th and last time at approximately 7:40 after the DVR is powered on. Simultaneously, the hard-drive/enclosure sounds like it spins down.

4) The intermittent flashes of the right side light on the enclosure must have something to do with communication with the DVR because the light does not flash if the enclosure is powered up without the eSATA connection to the dvr.

5) Also if the DVR is powered up without the eSATA connection to the external drive, then the message "Just a few more seconds" is only diplayed for 35 seconds instead of 3:15. So when the eSATA connection is present this phase of the boot-up is significantly longer and this coincides with the flashes on the enclosure suggesting the DVR is aware of the external drive and trying to connect with it during this period.

So if the DVR is aware of the hard drive and trying to boot with it but failing, this suggests that the problem is not the eSATA connections or cables, or the mounting of the drive in the enclosure. So what could cause the failure to boot with the external drive?

#2029 OFFLINE   jimmyd-01

jimmyd-01

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

I hate to be so persitent, but I'm not much of a computer buff - not at all really and I was wondering if the problem with my hr24 failing to recognize the external drive could be because the WD20EURS is SATA 3 and the Rosewill enclosure is only SATA 1 & 2 capable.

If that's

#2030 OFFLINE   jimmyd-01

jimmyd-01

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Sorry, I hit the "Submit" button before I was ready. to finish the question....

If that's the case would it be helpful to try a TT dockiing station with the WD20EURS and HR24/500??

#2031 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Sorry, I hit the "Submit" button before I was ready. to finish the question....

If that's the case would it be helpful to try a TT dockiing station with the WD20EURS and HR24/500??

Might well run into the same problem. The 500s just don't like externals. Have no idea why. I do know we had some posts a bit ago that stated the posters couldn't get the EURS (which is made specifically for DVRs) HDDs recognized by the HR, but that was a long time ago.

I'm kinda sure your setup would work on either a 24-200 or a 24-100.

Rich

#2032 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

I hate to be so persitent, but I'm not much of a computer buff - not at all really and I was wondering if the problem with my hr24 failing to recognize the external drive could be because the WD20EURS is SATA 3 and the Rosewill enclosure is only SATA 1 & 2 capable.

If that's

Not a problem.

Rich

#2033 OFFLINE   VerumSeeker

VerumSeeker

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Wish that I had found this thread before ordering parts.

However, it looks like I may have gotten lucky.
My set-up seems to be working (although the TV guide does not seem to be populated with much data?).

I have an HR24-200.

1. Rosewill RX-358 V2 SLV (Silver) 3.5" SATA to USB & eSATA External Enclosure w/Int.80mm Fan
2. Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (probably did not need to actually get a WD Red, but I wanted a drive that I could use in my PC if I could not get it to work with the DVR -- and I do not really trust the WD Greens for my PC and definitely do not trust the Seagates anymore).
3. eSATA cable that came with the Rosewill enclosure.

Sorry that I could not provide links but the systems is blocking URLs since I am a newbie.

#2034 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Wish that I had found this thread before ordering parts.

However, it looks like I may have gotten lucky.
My set-up seems to be working (although the TV guide does not seem to be populated with much data?).

I have an HR24-200.

1. Rosewill RX-358 V2 SLV (Silver) 3.5" SATA to USB & eSATA External Enclosure w/Int.80mm Fan
2. Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (probably did not need to actually get a WD Red, but I wanted a drive that I could use in my PC if I could not get it to work with the DVR -- and I do not really trust the WD Greens for my PC and definitely do not trust the Seagates anymore).
3. eSATA cable that came with the Rosewill enclosure.

Sorry that I could not provide links but the systems is blocking URLs since I am a newbie.

You did well, the Red HDDs are made for DVR use too.

Rich

#2035 OFFLINE   jrredho

jrredho

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hey All,

My hr20-100 just bit the dust. Maybe. Before I take the drastic measure of shelling out for new hardware, I thought I'd drop in to this massive thread to ask a couple of questions.

First, some background: As I mentioned, my unit's an hr20-100, with an external 1TB Fantom GoGreen eSATA attached. I'm the original and outright owner. About 6 weeks ago, my TV cratered with a bad logic board. I've been noticing that the DVR's been making some pretty heinous sounds, like a fan or disk spindle going out prior to that for some time, so I unplugged the DVR and shut down the disk.

Last week I got the TV repaired (it's working great :) ), but when I tried to turn on the DVR, I got a bunch of errors about not being able to connect to the network, and missing a bunch of satellite channels, etc. It would no longer recognize the external disk, and playback was super slow and juttery; unwatchable, actually. I tried to cycle it a few times to see if it'd self repair. Of course that didn't work. In fact, the DVR will no longer power up at all.

So, for my questions:

(1) I'd like to know if I can just open up the box and disconnect the power on the internal disk, and have it boot and connect to the external drive. Does anyone know if that has a chance of working? E.g., do I need to jumper something in the power connector?

(2) If not, and knowing that I don't have any internal hard drives (and that I'm not too interesting in cracking the cases to remove drives), what are the currently recommended internal replacement drives that someone might suggest?

(3) Is there a size limit for internal drives?

Many thanks!

cheers,
john

#2036 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

What's exactly happens when you plug the dvr into power? If you don't at least get some sort of blue screen saying something, like it can't start bad drive, etc, its toast no matter what.

Do you know what was wrong with the TV? Did have to do with a power issue? Maybe you got a spike and it killed the power supply.

#2037 OFFLINE   jrredho

jrredho

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

What's exactly happens when you plug the dvr into power? If you don't at least get some sort of blue screen saying something, like it can't start bad drive, etc, its toast no matter what.

Do you know what was wrong with the TV? Did have to do with a power issue? Maybe you got a spike and it killed the power supply.

Nope. When I plug in the DVR, I momentarily get a blue light from the center of the on/off button; then it shuts down without showing anything on the TV.

As for the TV, I mentioned in my post that it was a bad logic board. The technician mentioned that this was not an uncommon problem in that make/model (lg 46ld550).

I may have gotten a spike, but I have several electronic elements hooked up via a couple of outlets close by. Oh, and all of that equipment is hooked up through a ups. I've had no other problems with anything else nearby.

Thanks!

john

#2038 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Nope. When I plug in the DVR, I momentarily get a blue light from the center of the on/off button; then it shuts down without showing anything on the TV.

As for the TV, I mentioned in my post that it was a bad logic board. The technician mentioned that this was not an uncommon problem in that make/model (lg 46ld550).

I may have gotten a spike, but I have several electronic elements hooked up via a couple of outlets close by. Oh, and all of that equipment is hooked up through a ups. I've had no other problems with anything else nearby.

Thanks!

john

The hr actually shuts down? completely powers off on its own? They don't ever do that while plugged in, so I'd say your toast. Even if you start one up without a hard drive in it at all, it should still show an error on screen and stay on.

You can give it a shot, there is a thread dedicated to swapping the drive out in the tips and resources section of the forum, but I don't think it will do you any good. You can just take your internal out and place the current external in its place. But realize that is against the lease policy if you do not actually own the unit.

#2039 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

The hr actually shuts down? completely powers off on its own? They don't ever do that while plugged in, so I'd say your toast. Even if you start one up without a hard drive in it at all, it should still show an error on screen and stay on.

You can give it a shot, there is a thread dedicated to swapping the drive out in the tips and resources section of the forum, but I don't think it will do you any good. You can just take your internal out and place the current external in its place. But realize that is against the lease policy if you do not actually own the unit.

I've only seen a couple HRs with blown power supplies, but that "blue light" he refers to strikes a chord. In any event, I don't think you can replace the PS in a 20-100. If it is anything like the 20-700s, the PS is part of the mother board and I can't see any way to replace them without replacing the motherboard which would really screw up the works.

But he says in his first post that the 20-100 won't power up and that is reason enough for a replacement. If the front panels of the HRs don't light up, it's not an HDD problem, I would think.

Rich

#2040 OFFLINE   jrredho

jrredho

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

But he says in his first post that the 20-100 won't power up and that is reason enough for a replacement. If the front panels of the HRs don't light up, it's not an HDD problem, I would think.

Rich

Guys, thanks very much for your feedback. Before I shut it down the first time, after the TV incident, the hr20 was hot enough to make me think that a fire wasn't out of the question. Maybe I cooked something. Who knows.

Okay, how about a heads up on the best option for a replacement dvr? :)

Thanks again!

cheers,
john

spam firewall