Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#2041 OFFLINE   VerumSeeker

VerumSeeker

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Wish that I had found this thread before ordering parts.

However, it looks like I may have gotten lucky.
My set-up seems to be working (although the TV guide does not seem to be populated with much data?).

I have an HR24-200.

1. Rosewill RX-358 V2 SLV (Silver) 3.5" SATA to USB & eSATA External Enclosure w/Int.80mm Fan
2. Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (probably did not need to actually get a WD Red, but I wanted a drive that I could use in my PC if I could not get it to work with the DVR -- and I do not really trust the WD Greens for my PC and definitely do not trust the Seagates anymore).
3. eSATA cable that came with the Rosewill enclosure.

Sorry that I could not provide links but the systems is blocking URLs since I am a newbie.

I spoke too soon. Had my set up working for a day. But then had to move my DVR (and unplug it). Went back through the same process and now the DVR only goes to the internal drive.

Is there anything special that I need to do to the hard drive after first time use to get it to work again?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2042 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Guys, thanks very much for your feedback. Before I shut it down the first time, after the TV incident, the hr20 was hot enough to make me think that a fire wasn't out of the question. Maybe I cooked something. Who knows.

Okay, how about a heads up on the best option for a replacement dvr? :)

Thanks again!

cheers,
john

Sadly, you get what they give you. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a 24.

Rich

#2043 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I spoke too soon. Had my set up working for a day. But then had to move my DVR (and unplug it). Went back through the same process and now the DVR only goes to the internal drive.

Is there anything special that I need to do to the hard drive after first time use to get it to work again?

Did you: Unplug both the HR and the external device, wait a minute or so and plug in the external device then wait for the external HDD to spin up (only takes seconds), then plug in the HR?

When you moved the DVR, did you unplug the external device, too? Did you have to remove the eSATA to eSATA cable?

I know this sounds simplistic, but...

Rich

#2044 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Did you: Unplug both the HR and the external device, wait a minute or so and plug in the external device then wait for the external HDD to spin up (only takes seconds), then plug in the HR?

When you moved the DVR, did you unplug the external device, too? Did you have to remove the eSATA to eSATA cable?

Rich

A lot of us NEED simplistic!

#2045 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

A lot of us NEED simplistic!

True, Fred. Half the time I don't understand what the people who work in IT are talking about. I read the posts but all I hear is a whooshing sound as those very complex posts go over my head... :lol:

Rich

#2046 OFFLINE   VerumSeeker

VerumSeeker

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

Rich

Unplugged both DVR and external enclosure. Left the eSATA cable plugged in to the DVR but unplugged from the external enclosure.

Re-plugged the eSATA cable into the external enclosure. Plugged the power back into the enclosure, waited 60 seconds, plugged power back in to the DVR. Fail.

Unplugged power on both DVR and external enclosure. Left the eSATA cable plugged into both ends (but did gently press on both ends to make triple sure that both ends were plugged in). Plugged the power back into the enclosure, waited 10 seconds, plugged power back in to the DVR. Fail.

Unplugged power on both DVR and external enclosure. Left the eSATA cable plugged into both ends (but did gently press on both ends to make triple sure that both ends were plugged in). Plugged the power back into the enclosure, waited 180 seconds, plugged power back in to the DVR. Fail.

Bought a new eSATA cable (6ft SATA External Round Cable - eSATA to eSATA (Type I to Type I) from OKGear. Changed the eSATA cable. Plugged the power back into the enclosure, waited 180 seconds, plugged power back in to the DVR. Fail.

Ordered a new enclosure. Waiting on delivery from NewEgg.

Cannot even convey my level of frustration.

#2047 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Unplugged both DVR and external enclosure. Left the eSATA cable plugged in to the DVR but unplugged from the external enclosure.

Re-plugged the eSATA cable into the external enclosure. Plugged the power back into the enclosure, waited 60 seconds, plugged power back in to the DVR. Fail.

Unplugged power on both DVR and external enclosure. Left the eSATA cable plugged into both ends (but did gently press on both ends to make triple sure that both ends were plugged in). Plugged the power back into the enclosure, waited 10 seconds, plugged power back in to the DVR. Fail.

Unplugged power on both DVR and external enclosure. Left the eSATA cable plugged into both ends (but did gently press on both ends to make triple sure that both ends were plugged in). Plugged the power back into the enclosure, waited 180 seconds, plugged power back in to the DVR. Fail.

Bought a new eSATA cable (6ft SATA External Round Cable - eSATA to eSATA (Type I to Type I) from OKGear. Changed the eSATA cable. Plugged the power back into the enclosure, waited 180 seconds, plugged power back in to the DVR. Fail.

Ordered a new enclosure. Waiting on delivery from NewEgg.

Cannot even convey my level of frustration.

Oh, I know how frustrated you are. Been there. If you're lucky, the new enclosure will solve the problem. The external devices used for the external HDDs are the weakest links in the chain. The eSATA cords are very rarely the cause of problems such as yours.

Did you order the same enclosure or get one that we recommend? The Thermaltake docking stations and Antec MX-1 enclosures are proven external devices.

Rich

#2048 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Rich,
Is this the correct one?

http://www.ebay.com/...d=290807800770

#2049 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Rich,
Is this the correct one?

http://www.ebay.com/...d=290807800770

Yup, but that one on eBay is refurbished. I'd go with a new one, not that much more money. They are all I use now, Fred.

Rich

#2050 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Yup, but that one on eBay is refurbished. I'd go with a new one, not that much more money. They are all I use now, Fred.

Rich

My bad. I didn't notice the refurb!

#2051 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

My bad. I didn't notice the refurb!

I almost jumped on it, then I saw that it was a refurb. Kinda hard to believe something that cheap gets refurbished.

Rich

#2052 OFFLINE   mechman

mechman

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Just a brief report...

After about a year and a half, my Samsung HD204UI started to sputter continuously while watching recorded shows. After failing the diagnostic tests (both the short and long S.M.A.R.T. checks), the drive has been replaced with a WDBAAY0020HN or WD20EARX drive. I have another HD204UI on my HR20-700 and it's still working fine.

#2053 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Just a brief report...

After about a year and a half, my Samsung HD204UI started to sputter continuously while watching recorded shows. After failing the diagnostic tests (both the short and long S.M.A.R.T. checks), the drive has been replaced with a WDBAAY0020HN or WD20EARX drive. I have another HD204UI on my HR20-700 and it's still working fine.

Did you clone the old drive over to the new drive?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#2054 OFFLINE   mechman

mechman

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Did you clone the old drive over to the new drive?

- Merg

No. I watched everything on it and took advantage of the holiday moratorium on new shows. The only thing that I had to get it set up for was the new Dual Survival tonight. I thought about copying what little I had on it but with it failing I figured they might not come through anyways.

Now I have to wait for the guide to populate and then I can get the rest of my series set up.

#2055 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

No. I watched everything on it and took advantage of the holiday moratorium on new shows. The only thing that I had to get it set up for was the new Dual Survival tonight. I thought about copying what little I had on it but with it failing I figured they might not come through anyways.

Now I have to wait for the guide to populate and then I can get the rest of my series set up.

Glad it worked out for you. That is my one fear with going with an external. I'll have so much on there and <poof> it's gone.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#2056 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

Glad it worked out for you. That is my one fear with going with an external. I'll have so much on there and <poof> it's gone.

- Merg

And that is why I have not considered a HR34. Hard drive dies and too many shows are gone as well as the use of clients.

I use external hard drives on 7 DVRs (now HR24s) and usually get around 3 years before the drives have to be replaced. I use green WD 2TBs; have not had good luck with the lower priced Seagate drives.

#2057 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Just a brief report...

I've never tried a Sammy HDD on an HR, but I tried them on TiVos. Just my opinion based on my experience with the TiVos, but I had more trouble with the Sammys than any other HDD. I've avoided them since then. The EARX is a good HDD.

Rich

#2058 OFFLINE   hsedsie

hsedsie

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Thinking of purchasing a WD My Book DVR expander WDG1S10000. I have an HR21-100 and an HR20-700 and I would like to connect it to one of them. After sifting through this thread I have some questions. Approx how many hours of HD can I record on 1 TB? Can the drive be switched from one DVR to the other without losing what is on the drive. I understand you can only playback those recordings made by the DVR it is currently attached to. If you have old recordings on the internal DVR before connecting the external drive can you access the old recordings by disconnecting the external drive and rebooting the DVR? What happens if you get a software update when the external drive is connected? I assume if you disconnect you do not have the update. Thanks!

#2059 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Thinking of purchasing a WD My Book DVR expander WDG1S10000. I have an HR21-100 and an HR20-700 and I would like to connect it to one of them. After sifting through this thread I have some questions. Approx how many hours of HD can I record on 1 TB?

~ 250 hours depending on the content. There is no "set in stone" figure that I know of because the content determines the hours. But, as a rule of thumb, 500 hours for a 2TB drive (which is what you should really be looking at), half that for a 1TB drive and so on.

Can the drive be switched from one DVR to the other without losing what is on the drive.

Yes, you won't be able to play any content, but your Series Links will follow the HDD and they will work.

I understand you can only playback those recordings made by the DVR it is currently attached to. If you have old recordings on the internal DVR before connecting the external drive can you access the old recordings by disconnecting the external drive and rebooting the DVR?

Yes. Do this by shutting down the external drive, leave the eSATA to eSATA jumper cable in place if you are planning to activate the external device again.

What happens if you get a software update when the external drive is connected? I assume if you disconnect you do not have the update. Thanks!

Nothing different happens if you have an external drive hooked up. You'll still get the update.

Rich

#2060 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I want to add to what Rich wrote...you dont want to be moving the HDD between your dvr's, its not setup for that. Its not at all like Dish's implementation of external HDD's.

You either hook it up to use on one dvr, and decide to move it, and start over on that dvr. You cant really flop one back and forth between dvr's and record content on each different dvr.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...