Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#321 ONLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:49 PM

BTW, the external drive is WD My Boook Home 1TB.

I was under the impression that those didn't work due to the internal format. Anyway, if you search through these threads you'll find relevant information.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

The MY BOOK will not work!!! As the OP said you can do a SEARCH to verify that but that is your problem.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#323 OFFLINE   selleos

selleos

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

The MY BOOK will not work!!! As the OP said you can do a SEARCH to verify that but that is your problem.

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! Fine, I'll take the b*tch back!

Thanks guys.
Selleos

Receivers: DIRECTV HR20-700 | DIRECTIVO R10 | HUGHES SD-DVR40 | DIRECTV HD RECEIVER | SONY RECEIVER
Dish: Slimline Dish | w/6x8 multiswitch | Roof mount antenna from DIRECTV
HR20 Config: Software: 0x1EA | Resolution: 480p, 780p, 1080i | Native: On | Dolby Digital: On | OTA: No | Networked: Yes | Standby: Never
HDTV: Sammy 50" 1080i DLP connected via component
Audio: Optical to Bose Lifestyle AV28

#324 OFFLINE   CT_Wiebe

CT_Wiebe

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

dettxw -- The Western Digital "My Book" assemblies don't work because of the internal circuits (chip sets) used - not because of the formatting (the HR20/HR21 DVRs will do the formatting to their requirements).

selleos -- The best combination seems to be the Antec MX-1 ("VERIS" on the box) enclosure with thw Western Digital WD10EACS 1TB drive (the lowest cost 1TB drive available). 1TB Seagate drives also work (see the previous posts), there are several models available. The Antec MX-1 isn't cheap, but it's a solidly built box with a very quiet fan, and it can be mounted vertically (included stand) ar placed flat on a shelf (not on top of your DVR).

If you go back through this thread, you will find that some members have had good luck with the Cavalry drive units (pre-assembled) available from www.newegg.com and other places. These also use the WD10EACS drive (AFAIK). I just looked and I think the one they're referring to is this one - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822101082. The enclosure is not as good as the MX-1, but it is lower cost than the MX-1 + WD10ECAS, and no assembly is required.

NOTE: You also may have to buy an eSATA cable (read the posts from the members that have used the Cavalry unit).

You do have to do some assembly, however (install the drive in the enclosure, which can be tricky since the 2 screws that hold the drive/fan subassembly into the case are hard to get to - use tweezers or a magnetic screwdriver). Also, the 2 ends of the supplied eSATA cable are not identical, so if it doesn't work, swap ends and try again.

Remember, you have to unplug the HR20/HR21 before you connect the, unpowered, external drive (using the eSATA cable) to the DVR and turn its power on. Then and only then, do you plug the HR20/HR21 into the AC power line. This procedure is required for any eSATA drive that you use.

#325 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:35 AM

"assemblies don't work because of the internal circuits (chip sets) used" - sort of nonsense.
The required eSATA enclosures doesn't use any chips - straight wires from disk to eSATA connector.

#326 OFFLINE   PapaL

PapaL

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

I'm looking at getting the Acomdata PDHD1000USE-72, link, anyone tried it yet?

Reviews are good. Stays cool and is quiet, two very good things.

#327 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

Not to mention the price.... cheaper than any deals on 1TB bare drives right now.

#328 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

"assemblies don't work because of the internal circuits (chip sets) used" - sort of nonsense.
The required eSATA enclosures doesn't use any chips - straight wires from disk to eSATA connector.

Not true. Most enclosures have a controller circuit between the SATA interface on the disk and the external connector ports, which does things like provide a USB interface to the SATA drive inside.

#329 OFFLINE   PapaL

PapaL

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:38 PM

Not to mention the price.... cheaper than any deals on 1TB bare drives right now.

Ordered. Done. Thanks.

#330 OFFLINE   cwpomeroy

cwpomeroy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:43 AM

I just put together the Antec MX-1 and the Western Digital WD10000CSRTL 1TB drive and attached to HR21.

Drive booted up in a minute or two. The HR21 came up and recognized the external drive in about 2-3 minutes.

As someone noted before, the instructions for the MX-1 are pictures only. Not that bad to follow - but could have used some written directions to avoid mistakes. I haven't seen anyone else mention this particular WD model but it's labeled as a Green Power drive. "Cool. Quiet. Eco-Friendly"....

I don't hear anything from the drive unit sitting a foot from it with nothing else on. It's quiet as a mouse. I confirmed the HR21 is using the external drive as previously recorded shows were not listed after the reboot.

The only thing I have to do now is figure out how to connect this sucker to my network using a wireless bridge... I'm hoping a Linksys game adapter will work!

Good Luck to all.

#331 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

Not true. Most enclosures have a controller circuit between the SATA interface on the disk and the external connector ports, which does things like provide a USB interface to the SATA drive inside.

It is true.
You should make up your mind and your knowledge first.

eSATA enclosure DOESN'T require any additional circuits !

Those devices with multiple interfaces (USB, IEE1394 - FW 400/800) are waist of money if you expect to use them for HR20/HR21 DVR.

#332 OFFLINE   PapaL

PapaL

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

If anyone else is interested in this drive, be sure to buy a seperate ESATA to SATA cable. Monoprice has one for $4.13, link

#333 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

It is true.
You should make up your mind and your knowledge first.

eSATA enclosure DOESN'T require any additional circuits !

Those devices with multiple interfaces (USB, IEE1394 - FW 400/800) are waist of money if you expect to use them for HR20/HR21 DVR.

I didn't say that they require them, I said that most enclosures had them. As for a waste of money, the cheapest eSATA enclosure that I have ever purchased had the additional circuitry, as has every eSATA enclosure I have seen, including the notoriously HR21-incompatible Freeagent Pro drives.

Perhaps you could post some links to some of these less expensive enclosures that you speak about that don't waste your money with the additional circuitry.

#334 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

There are a few other aspects of not using enclosures with a controller:
- decrease of transfer speed
- heat dissipation
- waist of money
- less reliability
- waist energy
- increase physical dimensions.

SATA disks in HDD enclosures must be used in HR20/HR21 environment without controllers ( exclude RAID type ).

#335 OFFLINE   CT_Wiebe

CT_Wiebe

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

If anyone else is interested in this drive, be sure to buy a seperate ESATA to SATA cable. Monoprice has one for $3.90, link

According to newegg, the Acomdata unit has an eSATA output (the R20/HR21 has an eSATA input). Therefore you need an eSATA to eSATA cable and not the eSATA to SATA cable you mentioned (the SATA end will not fit into the eSATA connectors).

You need this one: http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2.

#336 OFFLINE   PapaL

PapaL

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

According to newegg, the Acomdata unit has an eSATA output (the R20/HR21 has an eSATA input). Therefore you need an eSATA to eSATA cable and not the eSATA to SATA cable you mentioned (the SATA end will not fit into the eSATA connectors).

You need this one: http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2.

Crap! You're right. Let's see how good Monoprice's email support is.

I updated my post (with the black Type I to Type I cable)

#337 OFFLINE   josetann

josetann

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

I just got in a 2TB Cavalry box, it's working fine. It was $489 with free shipping from Buy.com, plus I got an extra $15 off using a coupon you can find with a google search (or if you can't find it, you can get $10 off if you use google checkout for the first time). Anyways here's what they have now:

This is the silver version, it's been priced at $499.99 ever since I started looking to buy one:
http://www.buy.com/p.../206461304.html

This is the black version, it was priced at $489 when I bought it, exact same as the one above except for color so I gladly ordered it instead (everything's hidden, color matters not to me). However current price is $689.95:
http://www.buy.com/p.../206805170.html

Now, please note that you're looking for a Cavalry 2TB drive, with dual interface (both eSATA and USB). No, you don't need USB, but the one they have without a dual interface is USB only, to get eSATA you need the dual interface one. They also have another 2TB model that's just eSATA, but it's 4x500GB drives. I haven't tested that, I can assume it'd work, but if you use RAID0 to get the full 2TB you have doubled your chance of a drive failure.

#338 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:20 AM

It's AMAZING how many people I see in this forum and others that do not care about losing recordings. With this unit (also with mine) you can run RAID 1 and if one drive fails you simply replace it and let it rebuild the new drive mirroring itself to drive 0 and then plug it back in to the DVR and you are back in business without losing anything other than the cost of the drive.

This looks like a nice unit with a great price. I suppose it has a fan in it but the specs did not say so.

I wonder how QUIET this unit is??? I can hear my DS3RPRO when the sound is off on my AVR.
Here's My Setup

#339 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:16 PM

It's AMAZING how many people I see in this forum and others that do not care about losing recordings. With this unit (also with mine) you can run RAID 1 and if one drive fails you simply replace it and let it rebuild the new drive mirroring itself to drive 0 and then plug it back in to the DVR and you are back in business without losing anything other than the cost of the drive.

This looks like a nice unit with a great price. I suppose it has a fan in it but the specs did not say so.

I wonder how QUIET this unit is??? I can hear my DS3RPRO when the sound is off on my AVR.

I'm much more worried about my HR20 failing than I am about my disk failing, and a RAID setup isn't going to do anything to prevent loss of recordings in that case.

I might consider a raid drive if they ever lock the recordings on the disk to the account instead of to the receiver.

#340 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

I wish they would unlock the recordings as it should be up to us what DVR we connect it too in order to watch our recordings.

I have never had any trouble with my HR10-250s other than the hard drives failing which drives me NUTS!!! Some others have had the Power Supply fail or operate outside of it's margin but once they replaced it they were back in business but if you lose your hard drive you are out of business.

At least if I lose one of my hard drives I can replace it and then let it REBUILD that drive and then reconnect it to the DVR and I am GOOD TO GO!!!
Here's My Setup

spam firewall