Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

Do you have the drive set to 3 Gbps??? If set to 1.5 Gbps it may not work.

From other posts I thought this setup should work straight out of the box?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

The HR20 needs 1.5 Gbps and the HR21 needs 3.0 Gbps. Do a search and you can verify that info!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#363 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

The HR20 needs 1.5 Gbps and the HR21 needs 3.0 Gbps. Do a search and you can verify that info!!!

Or I could just tell you all that and it would be so.... :lol:

Consider it confirmed.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#364 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

The HR20 needs 1.5 Gbps and the HR21 needs 3.0 Gbps. Do a search and you can verify that info!!

How do I set that? The only reference on the drive says "Jumpered pins 5 and 6 enables 1.5GB PHY", "Jumpered pins 1 and 2 enables SSC" and "Jumpered pins 3 and 4 enables PLUS". All the pins are unjumpered.

Also FWIW when I hook it up via USB to my MAC it finds the drive but reports an I/O error when I try to format it. Hooked up to a PC it's seen as a USB mass storage device in the device manager but not as a drive in My Computer. Could this indicate a problem with the drive or the enclosure? Thanks

#365 OFFLINE   The Keymaster

The Keymaster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:14 AM

I just set up a Fantom GF1000 EU 1TB with a Syba 2 foot cable. The setup was effectively plug and play and works perfectly.

#366 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

Amazon sent a bad drive-that'll do it every time! Thanks everybody.

eSATA Doesn't Work!

Ok, I’m at an impasse and I think I’ve tried everything, so please someone come up with something new to help me! I have a brand new HR21-700 running 0x1FE. I read all the threads about this and I installed a WD10EACS into an Antec MX-1 “VERIS” enclosure. I’ve tried both the eSATA cable that came with the enclosure and a separately purchased SIIG eSATA cable. I’ve switched the cable ends. I’ve tried I think every variation of starting up – power off HR21, power on external for five minutes, then power up the HR21, a simple red button reboot and all the I can think of variations in between but no love. It just boots off the internal every time. Any ideas?

#367 OFFLINE   Mr X

Mr X

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:53 PM

I have not been able to get an external drive working on my HR20-700. This receiver has been working perfectly for the 1 ½ years I’ve had it. My problems seem different from others on the forum.

I bought a WD10EACS 1TB CAVIAR Greenpower SATA II SATAHD and an Antec MX-1 enclosure. I unplugged the HR20 connected the esata cable, powered up the MX-1 and then plugged in the HR 20. After a short time the light on the MX-1 comes on and the the HR-20 comes to life. I get a blue screen and the message that it will take a few seconds. After a few seconds the screen changes to the DirecTV logo screen and about a minute later the message that step 1 of 2 has started and will take a few minutes. Next the red light comes on for 2 min 40 sec, and then goes out. The step 1 message remains forever there after. I’ve tried three different esata cables, swapped ends, varied the time in plugging in the HR-20, tried the jumper for 1.5 G transfer. I always get the same result. I can also hear the drive running and the head seeking.

Now for the strange part. I turn everything off and remove the esata cable. The whole sequence described above repeats exactly with the exceptions that the red light stays on for less than a minute and step 1 completes in a minute or two. Step 2 completes and the HR-20 is back working. It has apparently been reformatted and all recordings are gone and all preferences also. If I unplug the HR-20 and start it up I don’t lose anything. It only happens when I try the external drive and attempt to go back.

Is it possible that my early HR-20 doesn’t support the external drive? Is DirecTV supporting adding the external drive? Is the drive defective?

I think that something was written to the drive because it is not recognized using the USB cable and a computer.

#368 OFFLINE   HDMovieNut

HDMovieNut

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

I use the following items with my HR-20 700 and they work perfectly.

1. Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750 GB FireWire 400, USB 2.0, and eSATA (ST307504FPA1E3-RK) bought it through Amazon.com ($188.00)

2. PNY 6' eSATA Cable 7 pin to 7 pin (P-ESATA6FT-RF) bought it at BestBuy $19.99

#369 OFFLINE   mcbw

mcbw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:17 AM

I just bought a Seagate Freeagent Pro 750GB and the process went as smooth as could be connecting it to my HR-20. It was frustrating that I couldn't buy eSATA to eSATA cables at Best Buy where I bought the drive and had to drive 20 miles to buy the cables at Fry's.

Along the eSATA line, I was a little concerned about the required cables. The back of my HR-20 has the port labeled as "SATA" and not "eSATA". However, I went with the eSATA because all of the forum posts here are very specific in that regard. I just wanted to mention this in case someone else had the same concerns.

Currently I have HR20-700, but originally had HR20-100. If I want to use an external 750 GB drive, are there any recommendations for one that works with HR20-700, HR20-100 and HR21's? I fear that my HDDVR may need to be exchanged for some other reason, and I will receive one of the other model HDDVR's that may not accept the external 750 GB.

#370 OFFLINE   Marty999

Marty999

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

I've been following this thread for months and have read most of it at one time or another. I understand the hardware people have had some success with. I also know that Weaknees uses the Seagate DB35s and have generally had good experience with their stuff. I've seen one post in this thread about a DB35 failing after 5 or 6 months. Anyone else out there have experience with the DB35s? I'm looking at hooking it up to an HR20-700. Per the previous post in this thread by mcbw, does it make any difference if it were hooked up to an HR 21?

#371 OFFLINE   adeedew

adeedew

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

I picked up the WG Mybook 500GB external sata with the pny esata cable from the local best buy. That didn't work at all. I read about seagate. I got the 500GB free agent pro and got a dny esata cable and it works! Not sure if it was the drive or the cable but $50 more later, it seems to work. THis is for the HR20-700

#372 OFFLINE   arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:00 AM

Did the CADA002SA4 work?

Has anyone successfully connected this to an HR20? I just ordered one from Costco.com.

Thanks,

-max

#373 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

My Seagate 1TB drive which is in a Kingwin enclosure is now making a loud noise:eek2: I fear it will fail soon. Are there ways to close the recordings on it to a new replacement drive? Naturally, it's quite full.

A couple of things that have been bothering me is 1) the HR20 is always recording a 90 minute buffer, even when I shut down for the night. That means the HD is always being used intensively. Is there an option to stop this when putting the HR20 into standby? 2) This HD runs hot, at least it does in the Kingwin. There's supposed to be a fan in there too.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#374 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

Are there ways to close the recordings on it to a new replacement drive? Naturally, it's quite full.

What I meant to say was "clone the recordings".
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#375 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

What I meant to say was "clone the recordings".

See this thread, and particularly the linked post:
http://www.dbstalk.c...1&postcount=126

#376 OFFLINE   adeedew

adeedew

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

I picked up the WG Mybook 500GB external sata with the pny esata cable from the local best buy. That didn't work at all. I read about seagate. I got the 500GB free agent pro and got a dny esata cable and it works! Not sure if it was the drive or the cable but $50 more later, it seems to work. THis is for the HR20-700

Update, so a few weeks later to many restarts and dvr being set back ot internal drive, returning the Seagate today, sticking to internatl drive and less recording.

#377 OFFLINE   Mark_R_G

Mark_R_G

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:21 AM

Update, so a few weeks later to many restarts and dvr being set back ot internal drive, returning the Seagate today, sticking to internatl drive and less recording.

The restarts may have nothing to do with adding the external drive, read up: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=127136

#378 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

Cavalry 750GB is at buy.com for 154.99, for those interested. I just purchased one.

#379 OFFLINE   CT_Wiebe

CT_Wiebe

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

adeedew -- That's why I went with the Antec MT-11 case and a WD 1TB drive (recommended by many of the members posting on this thread). It's gone through 3 firmware distributions and 2 power outages, without a single hitch or hiccup. As I noted, only one end of the MT-11 cable works in my HR20-700 DVR, since the 2 ends are not identical (one has a couple of mm more plastic at the end, and won't make a good connection).

#380 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:39 PM

Has anyone tried the new 1TB Seagate FAP? Just saw one at BB.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...