Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for yourinfo, but what connection is better, cable or usb?

eSATA cable is the only option as the HR20 only uses eSATA for external memory expansion. The USB cable would be for a computer use.
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:15 PM

OK, how come nobody warned me about the full length and height yellow light on the Seagate FreeAgent Pro? UPS delivered mine this evening, connected it up with SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable and it seems to be working fine... But that yellow light is a bit distracting!

Well, it was working w/ my HR20-100 up until the HR20-100 decided to stop reading the access card. D* sent a refurb HR20-700; now the 750 GB FreeAgent Pro is working fine with it.

Interestingly enough, I expected the content on the eSATA drive to get wiped when I connected it to a different HR20, but it didn't. All my scheduled recordings and Season Links are still there and working. The stuff I had recorded was still there, but when I tried to play any of it, I got a message indicating the DVR was "Searching for authorized content..."

#23 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Drive: Seagate Free Agent Pro 750gb to HR20-100
Cable: SIIG eSATA to eSATA (2m) cable CB-SA0211-S1

#24 OFFLINE   dragonbait

dragonbait

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Drives:
2 SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drives

Enclosure:
Thecus N2050UD
-RAID 0 for 1 TB of storage
-using the cable that came with it

All bought from Newegg.com

#25 OFFLINE   CobraGuy

CobraGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

1st - this is eSATA !

Hitachi 1TB SATA drive.

Can you tell us a little more about this setup? What is the model number of the drive? What enclosure, cable, etc? Are you happy with the drive so far? Hitachi has some amazing claims about this drive and I'm seeing some amazing prices for it.

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

It was used as internal drive for a couple weeks;
since Hitachi selling only one 1 TB SATA model, you'll not miss it :).

#27 OFFLINE   Fire407

Fire407

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:28 AM

I just connected a Seagate FreeAgent 750GB today. It is extremely easy to do. Evidently it is very important to have the right cable. After reading the forum I got the SIIG eSata to eSata 2 meter cable from newegg. It is eSata II compliant so you do not have to trim any plastic from the connectors. I would recommend that anyone having problems adding a drive to use this cable. I would imagine that a whole lot of people are going to want to add eSata drives once they know how simple it is.

#28 OFFLINE   anytimeuwnt

anytimeuwnt

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:57 AM

This is some great info guys.....

Here is a quick question. I have a Seagate Free-Agent 350GB Drive. It looks like i will need to get this eSATA Cable to make it all work. My question is will it be worth it??? All of you have these HUGE drives.

How big is the hard drive on the HR20? Will this just add to my storage space or will it use just the external drive? Will my 350 GB drive give me alot more space?

Maybe I am just having trouble quantifying the benefits to me. Now if both drives work in harmony, I can kind of understand why it would be of use. If they don't, it might explain why some of you went with these monstrous drives.

#29 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:01 AM

Here is a quick question. I have a Seagate Free-Agent 350GB Drive. It looks like i will need to get this eSATA Cable to make it all work. My question is will it be worth it??? All of you have these HUGE drives.

How big is the hard drive on the HR20? Will this just add to my storage space or will it use just the external drive? Will my 350 GB drive give me alot more space?

Maybe I am just having trouble quantifying the benefits to me. Now if both drives work in harmony, I can kind of understand why it would be of use. If they don't, it might explain why some of you went with these monstrous drives.

The HR20-700 has a 300gb and the -100 has a 320gb. I don't think using a 350gb is really worth it. I would not use anything less then a 750gb myself. Just my opinion.

#30 OFFLINE   RayJ

RayJ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

I bought the Free Agent Pro 750 and a cable from Fry's. I asked the clerk if the cable was a new one because of what I read here. He assured me it was.

Yada, Yada, Yada..... had to go to Microcenter to buy a new cable ("QVS" brand eSATA II) and returned the other to Fry's. They are clueless sometimes.

New cable and drive working flawlessly. WAF is high since I can no longer use the excuse that we had to watch something she didn't want to watch because we were running out of room on the disk.

#31 OFFLINE   nellee

nellee

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

Purchased the Seagate FA Pro 750GB drive at bestbuy this past Saturday on sale for $239 (or was it $229). Used my reward certificates and brought it down to an even $200.

Had already ordered an eSata cable from Monoprice last week.

Got the HR20-100 and dish installed this past Sunday.

Tried to hook up the drive Sunday night but was not sure it was working since I didn't have any recorded programs on it, but realized that the few Series Links I set up prior to plugging in the FA was still there so I realized that it wasn't working.

Unplugged the drive and cable, and grabbed a steak knife :D and started sawing off a sliver of the plastic from the cable.

Recorded a quick show for a few minutes onto the internal drive before I plugged the FA back in and voila, it worked! :grin:

Very Happy camper

#32 OFFLINE   Fire407

Fire407

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

The eSata drive works instead of the internal drive. Whatever space you have on the eSata is your total space. You could occasionally remove the external drive and use the internal drive, but that would require rebooting every time and then it would take a long time to fully download the guide each time you do that. The bigger the external drive, the better. I'm using a 750GB now, but as prices go down and storage goes up, I would imagine that 2 or 3 TB could be very affordable in a couple of years. Also, I'm guessing that it's possible to use one eSata drive for movies, and a different drive for football games for example, as long as you are willing to go through the reboot hassle.

#33 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:46 AM

I posted this in the other External Drive Thread but with well over 1000 posts I can certainly understand why no one would want to go through them all to find out some info.

My set up that has been working like a champ since the end of March on my HR20-700. I haven't added anything to my Hr20-100 yet but will probably go with the same setup or maybe a 2 drive unit.

This enclosure
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817121022

With this drive
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148134

I tried a different enclosure which worked fine but got WAY to hot which is why I went with this one that has a fan built in to it. This is the only single drive enclosure that I've seen with a fan to date.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#34 OFFLINE   jpoet

jpoet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

I have not done this yet, but am planning on going with this:

http://www.silentpcr...e728-page1.html

Seagate, Samsung and Western Digitial are all supposed to come out with 1tb SATA drives "soon".

John

#35 OFFLINE   mndwalsh

mndwalsh

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:45 PM

I have been using this for about 2 months:

Encloser
Antec MX-1

Drive
Seagate 750gb SATA ST3750640AS

seagate has a newer model with NS and not AS

Encloser came with cabel and all, I have had ZERO problems with it and it is very quiet.

#36 OFFLINE   ebsmith1

ebsmith1

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

I have a Hitachi Deskstar 7A1000 1 TB from NewEgg for $380

My enclosure is a Ultra ULT3053 From Fry's Electronics for $60.
It has USB as well (I checked out my disk first by connecting to a laptop (USB)
Enclosure is plastic but has a small quiet fan.

Working great!

Only slight negative is that the enclosure has rather large/ bright power on and disc access lights. I will cover them up as soon as I finish watching when the disk is accessed.

#37 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

Seagate FA Pro 750GB from Dell ($215 + tax free ship)

SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 Cable from NewEgg

Had to start over anyway because my original HR20 died.

Works like a charm.

#38 OFFLINE   Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:10 AM

Just curious, do you guys leave the external drive on at all times? Turning it off at all?

If you do turn it off, how does it record shows that are programmed when you're not around? Does the external come on, if it is off, when the programmed show starts?

#39 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:07 AM

Just curious, do you guys leave the external drive on at all times? Turning it off at all?

If you do turn it off, how does it record shows that are programmed when you're not around? Does the external come on, if it is off, when the programmed show starts?

You have to leave it plugged it and power up.

#40 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:58 AM

I'm looking to add external storage to my HR20-100 and I was thinking about going with the Thecus N2050UD 2 Drive Enclosure. Does anyone know if I can start with one drive then add a second without loosing my content or will I have to start over again.

I know in typical RAID Systems you can expand from a single drive but wasn't sure about this enclosure. I checked the company website and didn't really find any info.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...