Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

OK, I bought a SATA enclosure and SATA HDD. If I've properly installed the drive in the enclosure, do I have to first connect it to my home computer and partition it, format it, run diag, etc., or can I just connect it to the HR21-100?

Just connect it to the HR21 and boot up. The HR21 will set everything up for you. No need to connect to a PC first.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   Eben

Eben

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Just connect it to the HR21 and boot up. The HR21 will set everything up for you. No need to connect to a PC first.

Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply.

#403 OFFLINE   Eben

Eben

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

Success! Worked like a charm.
Question: I know I can power down the receiver, unplug the SATA drive, restart the reciever, and get back to recordings on the original drive, but will I have to reset auto recordings, etc. when I revert to the SATA drive?

#404 OFFLINE   atigod

atigod

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

I have a HR21 700 and tried two external drive Enclosures, the Antec MX-1 and the Rosewill RX81-MP-SC. the MX 1 worked but its a very cheap plastic and the fan is very loud, since its plastic it cant dissipate heat well, so I wanted to try a new Enclosure the Rosewill RX81-MP-SC http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182122 its made of solid aluminum, and it works perfectly. Its the most well built enclosure iv ever used. The aluminum dissipates the heat very well and the drive inside stays cool. The esata cable thats comes with it works fine, but I wanted to use the highest quality cable I could find so I used the SIIG http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812191016

For the hard drive I used a Seagate 1 TB drive, this drive has a 5 year warranty and 7200 rpm 32mb cache. http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1186003683968
I dont buy OEM hard drives, as they can cause problems in the way they ship it, its not as protected as a retail hard drive with is pre boxed and iv had better luck with retail drives. I know this setup isnt cheap but its been working for 2 months now, and its been through many updates and I still have all my recordings. I know there is cheaper Rosewill cases out there but this one works for me 100% and is much better than the MX1 I tried. It really is one of the best enclosure iv ever used its built like a tank and matches my hr21 nicely. Im also using a APC - 750VA Battery Back-Up UPS, and never had a power out with this thing, have just the dvr and external drive connected to it.http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1188559784051 iv been reading these forms for months and needed help on a working drive setup, and you guys helped me so much, that when I found a solid working setup, I had to post. thank you all for the help, the only thing iv found to be better than this setup, is a 2 TB option

#405 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

the MX 1 worked but its a very cheap plastic and the fan is very loud

Hmmm, Our experiences are most definitely different. I've got eight Antec MX-1's all with 1tb wd drives and they are whisper quiet. I can hear the drives in the HR20's but not a peep from the drives in these cases, not even up close.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#406 OFFLINE   atigod

atigod

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

The MX 1 isnt bad it works fine, I just dont think its as good as the Rosewill, and why do you need eight MX 1s are some for pc storage

#407 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

The MX 1 isnt bad its works fine, I just dont think its as good as the Rosewill, and why do you need eight MX 1s are some for pc storage

Two are connected to HR20's
Three (rotating) are used for backing up data at work
Three are used at home for PC storage - mostly media center stuff.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#408 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

Hi sorry if this has been asked already. Will the Western Digital 1 TB My Book Home Edition external hard drive work? Its on sale for 199.00 at Costco this week.

Thanks

#409 OFFLINE   atigod

atigod

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

it wont work with the HR21's

#410 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:37 AM

FYI, in checking into the MX-1, I found a fair number of reports in various places, including the Other Hardware forum of www.arstechnica.com that mention a potential bad batch with loud fans earlier in teh year. So, it is possible for all teh opinions of the MX-1 to be dead on.

They have fixed the problem now from what I have read. I will pass on my experience.

I am going to take the 750 drive I'm using out of the Calvary case to see if better cooling will help with some lockups I have been having. Hopefully, it is a simple swap.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#411 OFFLINE   pacific85

pacific85

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

Hi sorry if this has been asked already. Will the Western Digital 1 TB My Book Home Edition external hard drive work? Its on sale for 199.00 at Costco this week.

Thanks

It's not working with my HR20-100. I wish I would have searched the forums first. I'm considering opening it up to see if I can jumper it for 1.5G speed, but that will void the warranty.

RT

#412 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

Just curious, does anyone know the brand of hard drives shipped with the HR's and what brand of hard drives does Weakness use?

Thanks

#413 OFFLINE   joem72

joem72

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

Hopefully someone can help....
I have the HR21, Antec MX1 case w/ 250 GB Seagate, eSata cable from Monoprice.com and 1 from FireFold.com.
Does not detect the drive with either cable, also had my friend try on his HR20, with no luck.
Is there a special "type" of drive these receivers need? That would be my guess so far. This 250GB Seagate only has an 8MB buffer. The rest of the setup seems to be working for everyone else.

I'm not familiar with eSata and don't have that connection on my computer. But noticed the MX1 does not boot up with an eSata cable connected until the receiver is turned on. Drive boots without any cables attached and also boots with USB connected. Is this "normal" behavior for an eSata drive? I thought I should get the drive to spin up first, then turn on the receiver.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

#414 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:57 PM

Hopefully someone can help....
I have the HR21, Antec MX1 case w/ 250 GB Seagate, eSata cable from Monoprice.com and 1 from FireFold.com.
Does not detect the drive with either cable, also had my friend try on his HR20, with no luck.
Is there a special "type" of drive these receivers need? That would be my guess so far. This 250GB Seagate only has an 8MB buffer. The rest of the setup seems to be working for everyone else.

I'm not familiar with eSata and don't have that connection on my computer. But noticed the MX1 does not boot up with an eSata cable connected until the receiver is turned on. Drive boots without any cables attached and also boots with USB connected. Is this "normal" behavior for an eSata drive? I thought I should get the drive to spin up first, then turn on the receiver.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

:welcome_s to DBSTalk, joem72!

I am not sure if it would stop if from working or not but a 250GB hard drive is smaller than the hard drive in the HR21. The HR21 has a 320GB hard drive and the eSATA drive replaces the internal drive. It does not add to it.

#415 OFFLINE   zobeht

zobeht

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

Update, so a few weeks later to many restarts and dvr being set back ot internal drive, returning the Seagate today, sticking to internatl drive and less recording.

I have a Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata drive (ST31000340AS) in an Antec MX-1 SATA Enclosure attached with a 3' cable to my HR21-100. Everytime I reset (reboot) it reformats the drive. I've disconnected and gone back to the internal drive as well!

#416 OFFLINE   Drew D 64

Drew D 64

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Does anyone see a reason why the following drive would not work with an HR21-700.

Cavalry 1TB CAXM3701T0...I found it at buy.com..Sorry no link until 5 posts.

Thanks to any and all replies
Drew

#417 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Just curious, does anyone know the brand of hard drives shipped with the HR's and what brand of hard drives does Weakness use?

Thanks

I think that most (or all) of the HR2xs have Western Digital disks in them. I know that my HR20-100 had a WD 320 GB in it (that I promptly removed and replaced with a WD 750 GB).

#418 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:11 PM

I just got a free agent pro 1TB but there were no wires for connection in the box. What wire do I need? What should the ends look like?

JACK,

#419 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

I just got a free agent pro 1TB but there were no wires for connection in the box. What wire do I need? What should the ends look like?

JACK,

#420 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

You'll need an eSATA cable, available at lots of places ...

Posted Image

And here's a regular SATA cable ...

Posted Image

spam firewall