Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   rmplatt

rmplatt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

I've got an HR21 and want to add more space. Based on what I'm reading here, sounds like the Antec MX-1 case is one of the proven ways to go. Is anyone using the Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000340AS internal drive with the MX-1? The drive is currently priced at 159.99 at NewEgg

Thanks for the input!

read me

I have this drive and am having lots of problems (got it for 109 from dell on a pricing error) I have the HR21-100, if you have the HR-21-700 your results might differ. And my problems might be due to one faulty component, and may not be replicated at all, but when I called Seagate, they say that they have a different drive they reccomend for DVR usage. I think it's the DB35 series. I see a lot of people have success with the WD drives, and I wish I had gotten one of those. Good luck

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   smartwatermelon

smartwatermelon

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

Just following up to note that I've returned the Buffalo DriveStation I bought earlier this month after a two-week torture test (buffering hours of HD Olympics). The HR21 was markedly less stable with the external drive, and there were extended gray-screen freezes when deleting saved programs and navigating the list. I'll come back to it when D* decides to actually support the eSATA port, or explore an internal upgrade if necessary.
-- SmartWatermelon
"no user-serviceable parts inside" -- yeah right!

Network map

#463 OFFLINE   pjsauter

pjsauter

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:20 AM

HR21-700
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Rosewill RX-358-S Enclosure
Cable that came with the enclosure

Worked right away without any hassles.

#464 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 619 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:34 AM

HR21-100
Cavalry 1TB Hard Drive from buy.com
Hook up and running after beboot.
NO problems to this point.
The blue light is quite bright! Electric tape put over it.
HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#465 OFFLINE   EnderWiggin

EnderWiggin

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

Just set this up last night and I'm sure it's a repeat of several others in this thread.

HR21-700
Antec MX-1 enclosure
WD 1TB Greenpower drive (model WD10000CSRTL)

Purchased the same setup from Best Buy yesterday. Hooked it up and in under 10 minutes was all ready to go. :D

Was able to record a couple of HD movies and some HD TV shows and it's so nice to see that I still have 99% free.

#466 OFFLINE   bob330i

bob330i

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

Purchased the same setup from Best Buy yesterday. Hooked it up and in under 10 minutes was all ready to go. :D

Was able to record a couple of HD movies and some HD TV shows and it's so nice to see that I still have 99% free.

That's a $300 solution based on Bestbuy.com pricing. Must have really wanted it now.

#467 OFFLINE   cab2

cab2

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:07 AM

Just set this up last night and I'm sure it's a repeat of several others in this thread.

HR21-700
Antec MX-1 enclosure
WD 1TB Greenpower drive (model WD10000CSRTL)

I've had the same setup for a few months now except it's a HR21-100. Is anyone else noticing repeated freezes with the dvr when using one of these green power drives?

I've noticed freezes, that last for 30 to 90 seconds and then continues on as normal. I've also noticed cases where all video starts to jitter a little bit and will continue to get worse, unless I reboot. In both of these cases, a reboot will fix it for about 5 to 7 days but then it's back. I'm trying to figure out if I have a bad drive, or maybe the green power drives might not be up to the 24/7 load of the DVR? It's not a huge problem for me, but at least inconvienent.

thanks in advance
cab

#468 OFFLINE   BradK

BradK

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Just wanted add another enclosure to the list:

Ampaqs Xtrastor Dual 3.5in SATA to eSATA + USB 2.0 HDD External Enclosure XS-2B35U-R-BK, Raid 0 + Raid 1

Available in Black & Silver (got black to match TV & HR21-100). It has a very quiet fan and all aluminum enclosure for best heat dissipation. I recommend disconnecting the light cables from the board as the lights are pretty bright, but currently are giving me peace of mind knowing that it's working. It comes with it's on eSATA cable which is working great. This drive has both RAID 0 & RAID 1 for those not sure what they want (more space vs. backup)

I stuffed 2x 1TB Western Digital WD10EACS with default jumper settings (aka: none) and flipped the switch to RAID 0, then hit the reset switch and turned it on before turning on the DVR. Worked like champ. If the TV is quiet (aka Paused) you can only hear the faint sound of the Hard Drive writing, but it's super quiet. The case doesn't get hot either, just warm as is expected.

Enclosure XS-2B35U-R-BK: $59
Drives WD10EACS: $159 x 2 = $318
Total: $377 for 2TB of HD Recording goodness.

Search the web for these part #s as each day they get cheaper and available from different places. Got the enclosure @ directron.com & HDs @ NewEgg.

Thx for all your help!

Matt
Who has only 1 month left of free HBO/Showtime and after recording 25 HD movies still has 90% free space left. :P

mashoe,

I went and bought the same EXACT enclosure with the same EXACT WD drives. I performed the following steps:
1) Pulled out the power plug on the back of the DirecTV HR21-100.
2) Connected the eSATA cable to the back of the HR21.
3) Switched the switch to RAID 0, pressed the reset button and turned on the enclosure.
4) Put the power plug back in on the HR21.

When the HR21 was starting up, the READ/WRITE light on the enclosure blinked 3 or so times, but that's all. And it didn't recognize the enclosure at all (even if I didn't do the RESET correctly, I would think it would have gone to the default RAID 1 setting)

I'm using a brand-new DirecTV HR21-100. It has software version 0x255 (updated 7-16).

I connected the enclosure to my computer using the USB connection and it correctly recognized the RAID 0 setting (1.83 TB) -- I even formatted it and copied a file to it, to verify that it was working.

Got any suggestions?

BradK

#469 OFFLINE   rmplatt

rmplatt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:26 AM

I've had the same setup for a few months now except it's a HR21-100. Is anyone else noticing repeated freezes with the dvr when using one of these green power drives?

I've noticed freezes, that last for 30 to 90 seconds and then continues on as normal. I've also noticed cases where all video starts to jitter a little bit and will continue to get worse, unless I reboot. In both of these cases, a reboot will fix it for about 5 to 7 days but then it's back. I'm trying to figure out if I have a bad drive, or maybe the green power drives might not be up to the 24/7 load of the DVR? It's not a huge problem for me, but at least inconvienent.

thanks in advance
cab

Okay... here's trouble. I too have the same exact problems. But with a seagate drive. I'm now leaning towards suspicion of the HR21-100. This model seems to have the most problems out of all the HR2X's with the eSATA hookups. I'm doing more troubleshooting today, swapping out the seagate for a different model, switching the case from the MX-1 to a different one. Using a different eSATA calbe. I think I'll have the culprit by the end of the day. I'll post my results.

#470 OFFLINE   rmplatt

rmplatt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

Okay... here's trouble. I too have the same exact problems. But with a seagate drive. I'm now leaning towards suspicion of the HR21-100. This model seems to have the most problems out of all the HR2X's with the eSATA hookups. I'm doing more troubleshooting today, swapping out the seagate for a different model, switching the case from the MX-1 to a different one. Using a different eSATA calbe. I think I'll have the culprit by the end of the day. I'll post my results.

Okay, this seems too stupid to be true, but I didn't get past my first step. All I did was swap out the eSATA cable with one of higher quality, and the problems seem to have disappeared.

I can disconnect it and re connect it without the DVR reformatting and forcing me to lose my recordings, and all the freezing seems to have gone away, no choppy playback. I did have one instance of the US Open freezing, but it hasn't happened since. A far cry from the freezing multiple times per hour. And it may have been at the source for all I know.

The only other thing I did was to orient the drive vertically. I read on seagates web site that this drive has some kind of feature that makes it stable in vertical orientation. I highly doubt this made any difference whatsoever, but it's the only other thing I did, so I'm not changing it.

Good luck to the others who have been having problems with the MX-1 with the seagate drive in it.

#471 OFFLINE   Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

With everybody having so many problems, could it be the software in the HR2Xs causing them?

I've noticed that my, and others, problems started after the software update in late June, or early July. I NEVER had a freeze-up problem, I NEVER had a delay problem starting up a recording, I NEVER had the external basically shut down on me, until that software update.

I ask this simple question, is eSATA still unsupported?

I obviously have good reason to think it could be the software giving us all these problems, but cannot explain why others have success. All I know, it's not my HDD external case, it's not my HDD, and it's not the cable. I've replaced ALL of them, and I still cannot get my HR20 to boot to external anymore.

I think ALL OF US should call D* and complain and let them know about our problems. Maybe they'll get somebody on it and solve or figure out what could be going wrong. It just strikes me as odd, that NOW all of us using an external HDD are having so many problems with it.

Now, I hate to start unfounded conspiracies why the external HDDs don't work properly, but could it be D* wants to come out with their own external HDD? Maybe, they want to start charging a fee for external HDD use and are testing the software to block its use now, which explains all the problems. They've become so greedy in the last few years, I don't put it past them, to be honest. I'm all for making a buck, but if this is true, I'll kiss this service good-bye. D* has already 'hanging on by a string' as it is, and this would put me over the top. It's already bad enough they take advantage of my disability and charge me a monthly service fee to fix the alignment problems on my dish, since I cannot clime a ladder and get up there myself to fix the problem myself. Now, they want to block my external HDD, too? Again, just a 'conspiracy' thought I had.

#472 OFFLINE   illinileo

illinileo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

My Enclosure bit the dust today- first it made some clicking noises, then a few loud pops. I think I'm just out of warranty too. I've got a call into their technical support just in case.

I have two WD7500AAKS drives in the enclosure, so I could either get another 4 drive enclosure (and add a third drive), or go with a 2 drive enclosure.

Looking for 4 and 2 drive enclosure suggestions- would like to make sure that the drives don't get too hot (like in my original Thecus enclosure) and that the noise level is at a minimum.

#473 OFFLINE   rmplatt

rmplatt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

Nevermind what I wrote. The darn thing is still having issues. I'm getting stuttered playback on all my recordings, and when I did a RBR it re-formatted the drive again. I so want to try it on the inside of the DVR to see if it has any different effect. I think it all boils down to data transfer. I have a cable from monoprice, and it did get better, but I'm going to try a SIIG cable next. We'll see if the data transfer is any better with that cable.

Okay, this seems too stupid to be true, but I didn't get past my first step. All I did was swap out the eSATA cable with one of higher quality, and the problems seem to have disappeared.

I can disconnect it and re connect it without the DVR reformatting and forcing me to lose my recordings, and all the freezing seems to have gone away, no choppy playback. I did have one instance of the US Open freezing, but it hasn't happened since. A far cry from the freezing multiple times per hour. And it may have been at the source for all I know.

The only other thing I did was to orient the drive vertically. I read on seagates web site that this drive has some kind of feature that makes it stable in vertical orientation. I highly doubt this made any difference whatsoever, but it's the only other thing I did, so I'm not changing it.

Good luck to the others who have been having problems with the MX-1 with the seagate drive in it.

#474 OFFLINE   gregries

gregries

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

Just to add another data point:

I, too, have had trouble getting my hr21-100 to recognize any of the eSATA combinations I've tried. Lately I've been focussing on the DS3R-PRO since some folks have that working. I've got it set to RAID1 (mirroring). The PC works with it fine. I've tried it unpartitioned, unformatted, formatted, with 3 different cables, and after chanting "please work" 100 times, but nothing matters. Every reboot it plays with the DSDR-PRO a little--flickers the lights about 4 times, spaced apart--and then decides to finish booting off the internal.

My mom taught me not to play with my food, but I guess nobody told my hr21 that. :)

Personally, I think the eSATA port on the hr21-100's are a step down...

The DS3RPRO was even tested by the manufacturer, and it passed all the tests, including one of the eSATA function.

There's no way I can have 3 bad (brand-new) cables. The PC likes the enclosure just fine. It's gotta be my hr21-100. And given the other reports, it looks like hr21-100's in general. Dang! because my whole idea was to run RAID1 on this #$@% thing.

Since this is an usupported feature, does that mean one can't get the receiver swapped because of it?

Greg

#475 OFFLINE   ryno2292

ryno2292

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

I've been running an MX-1 enclosure with a Western Digital WD10EVCS drive for a little over a week. No problems with that setup to this point (HR21-700).

#476 OFFLINE   ysiamrich

ysiamrich

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

I use ANTEC MX-1 combined with a Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB Internal 3.5-Inch SATA 32MB Cache Hard Drive on my HR21-700.

I had issues with the Calvary 750 on my HR21-700 with stuttering, slow response etc. it cleared up when I switched to the Antex/Seagate combo so it is my opinion that it was the drive.

#477 OFFLINE   Git

Git

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

I have two of these up and running with my two HR21-100s

Links:
Antec MX-1 enclosure
WD 1TB Greenpower drive (model WD10EVCS)
SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 3.3-Feet Serial ATA External Cable

I had problems with some lockups with one of the hard drives that showed up in the first couple of days. I simply notified Amazon of the problem and they sent me out a new enclosure and drive, and paid for the return shipping. You might be able to find these items cheaper elsewhere, but you sure can't beat Amazon's return policy

note - these hard drives are specifically designed for this kind of application

#478 OFFLINE   cocoon

cocoon

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:55 AM

Thanks to the discussions here I chose a Rosewill 358 for my esata external storage device. I had a extra western digital 640gig drive so I used that.

The HR20 recognized it immediately in fact the external drive combination is faster than the internal drive. One thing that I must of missed is that most of the HR20 settings are stored on each individual hard drive so you have to set things up every time a new drive is added.

#479 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:49 PM

Sorry to thread hijack here - but where can I sell a RS-M2TS with 2 1TB Hitachi Deskstars? I'm leaving DirecTV and no longer have a use for the setup I built...

#480 OFFLINE   seanmcgpa

seanmcgpa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

Just to add another data point:

I, too, have had trouble getting my hr21-100 to recognize any of the eSATA combinations I've tried. Lately I've been focussing on the DS3R-PRO since some folks have that working. I've got it set to RAID1 (mirroring). The PC works with it fine. I've tried it unpartitioned, unformatted, formatted, with 3 different cables, and after chanting "please work" 100 times, but nothing matters. Every reboot it plays with the DSDR-PRO a little--flickers the lights about 4 times, spaced apart--and then decides to finish booting off the internal.

My mom taught me not to play with my food, but I guess nobody told my hr21 that. :)

Personally, I think the eSATA port on the hr21-100's are a step down...

The DS3RPRO was even tested by the manufacturer, and it passed all the tests, including one of the eSATA function.

There's no way I can have 3 bad (brand-new) cables. The PC likes the enclosure just fine. It's gotta be my hr21-100. And given the other reports, it looks like hr21-100's in general. Dang! because my whole idea was to run RAID1 on this #$@% thing.

Since this is an usupported feature, does that mean one can't get the receiver swapped because of it?

Greg

Greg - I could never get the DS3RPRO working. Two weeks of fiddling with it, trying every suggestion on here and on SatteliteGuys - I finally gave up and RMA'd it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...