Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:15 AM

I'm looking to add external storage to my HR20-100 and I was thinking about going with the Thecus N2050UD 2 Drive Enclosure. Does anyone know if I can start with one drive then add a second without loosing my content or will I have to start over again.

I know in typical RAID Systems you can expand from a single drive but wasn't sure about this enclosure. I checked the company website and didn't really find any info.

Same rules apply.. when you add a second drive the whole array will have to be wiped out..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bbq-allstar

bbq-allstar

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

I posted this in the other External Drive Thread but with well over 1000 posts I can certainly understand why no one would want to go through them all to find out some info.

My set up that has been working like a champ since the end of March on my HR20-700. I haven't added anything to my Hr20-100 yet but will probably go with the same setup or maybe a 2 drive unit.

This enclosure
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817121022

With this drive
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148134

I tried a different enclosure which worked fine but got WAY to hot which is why I went with this one that has a fan built in to it. This is the only single drive enclosure that I've seen with a fan to date.

So what cable did you use? I just ordered this combo from newegg but realized that I need a SATA-eSATA cable right?

***EDIT -- My bad, the enclosure is SATA to eSATA... however, I should've done some price checking... Frys has the same HD for $189 (newegg was $209)

#43 OFFLINE   Griff

Griff

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:30 PM

Hitachi 1tb, Vantec enclosure. Enclosure comes with cables, used the included SATA to eSATA cable. Hooked drive up to the computer first to use Hitachi's features utility to set acoustic management to midpoint on the scale. Drive is very quiet running on the HR20-700.

#44 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:41 AM

I'm in!

I initially tried the Seagate FA Pro 750g with the Monoprice type I eSATA to eSATA cable. No dice:nono: Even with modifying it the HR20 never saw it.

Next I tried the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable with the FA Pro. MONEY:D The HR20 saw the external drive on the first try.

Recovering all of my series links is a bummer. In the future D* should transfer your searches and series links to the external drive. I don't make this comment out of laziness, some shows that I have links for are on rarely. Now I have to babysit the guide waiting for the shows to come on so I can set the series links. Searches are the same. If you do a title search and the show is not in the guide the search can't be saved.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#45 OFFLINE   bobinyuma

bobinyuma

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:53 AM

I have two HR20's. One in the living room with a seagate Pro 500 gig drive. The bedroom HR20 has no external hard drive attached. I am purchasing a seagate pro 750. I would like to put the 500 gig in the bedroom and the new 750 gig in the living room. Since I have little recorded on both HR20's and the new HD from Directv is starting soon, now seems the time to make the move. My question is, and I am assuming that, will I loose the ability to view my recordings on the older 500gig when I transfer it to my bedroom? Really just a question of curiosity because I am making the change regardless. I am assuming I will lose season passes also?

By the way, the current Seagate works flawlessly and is much quieter than the HR20 hard drive. Yellow light is neat, not annoying for me. I bought both drives from buy.com along with their under six buck esata II cable.

#46 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

I have two HR20's. One in the living room with a seagate Pro 500 gig drive. The bedroom HR20 has no external hard drive attached. I am purchasing a seagate pro 750. I would like to put the 500 gig in the bedroom and the new 750 gig in the living room. Since I have little recorded on both HR20's and the new HD from Directv is starting soon, now seems the time to make the move. My question is, and I am assuming that, will I loose the ability to view my recordings on the older 500gig when I transfer it to my bedroom? Really just a question of curiosity because I am making the change regardless. I am assuming I will lose season passes also?

You won't actually lose the content on the ESATA drive when you swap it; you just won't be able to play the recordings on any DVR other than the one that recorded them. You'll see the old recordings on the ToDo list, but you'll get an error message if you try to play them.

If the DVR connections are accessible, you might want to move the HR20 and ESATA in tandem to another room.

#47 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

I took the plunge and got he Seagate Free Agent Pro 750 external eSATA drive with a SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable. I was back up and running quickly.

http://www.amazon.co...2&s=electronics

Yes the light on the from can be a little distracting in low light conditions but I have it mounted in the cabinet with dark Plexiglas in the door.

Much better recording HD programming and not having to constantly delete stuff to make room.

VERY easy mod, and well worth it.

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#48 OFFLINE   bobinyuma

bobinyuma

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

If the DVR connections are accessible, you might want to move the HR20 and ESATA in tandem to another room.

I have no idea why I did not think of this very simple solution. Thanks...it must be Friday!!

#49 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

I posted earlier that I had a working set up on my HR20-700. I recently got a second HR20 but this time its a 100 (unfortunately not black).

With this new one I knew I was going to add on some kind of external storage but couldn't decide if I wanted to go with a multi-drive unit or not. After some debate I decided to stick with old faithful that has been working for several months without a hitch. I bought the exact same set up as I have on my 700 and sure enough it worked immediately without any hassles or modifications whatsoever to the included cable.

Even though I have posted it here before I will post it again just so it is handy.

This enclosure
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817121022

With this drive
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148134

The only thing is that this enclosure has a somewhat BRIGHT blue LED on the front of it. I only mention it because I've read other comments about things like this so I thought I would throw it out there. In my set up it really doesn't matter but if if did I would just put a piece of electrical tape on it or something.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#50 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

I posted earlier that I had a working set up on my HR20-700. I recently got a second HR20 but this time its a 100 (unfortunately not black).

With this new one I knew I was going to add on some kind of external storage but couldn't decide if I wanted to go with a multi-drive unit or not. After some debate I decided to stick with old faithful that has been working for several months without a hitch. I bought the exact same set up as I have on my 700 and sure enough it worked immediately without any hassles or modifications whatsoever to the included cable.

Even though I have posted it here before I will post it again just so it is handy.

This enclosure
http://www.newegg.co....82E16817121022

With this drive
http://www.newegg.co....82E16822148134

The only thing is that this enclosure has a somewhat BRIGHT blue LED on the front of it. I only mention it because I've read other comments about things like this so I thought I would throw it out there. In my set up it really doesn't matter but if if did I would just put a piece of electrical tape on it or something.

Your links are not working.

#51 OFFLINE   bbq-allstar

bbq-allstar

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

Your links are not working.

Try these...

Enclosure: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817121022

Drive: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148134

Drive is on sale for $199

#52 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

Try these...

Enclosure: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817121022

Drive: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148134

Drive is on sale for $199

Now they are working. Thanks.

That is actually the same hard drive I am looking at myself.

#53 OFFLINE   usualsuspect

usualsuspect

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

Hi everyone:

New to this forum been reading a while to try and educate myself on the HR-20 since I plan on getting on before the new HD channels come on. I also plan on buying a seagate FA 750 for the extra storage.

Can someone tell me roughly how many hours of recording space they get with a 750 gb hd?

Thanks

#54 OFFLINE   jurlwin

jurlwin

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

I recently purchased a Buffalo Technology "Quad" drive. 4 x 500 GB drives in Raid 5 mode. Came up fine, switched to HD channel and within about 30 seconds the drive lights go solid and the picture freezes, but audio still moves. Strange. The pic eventually "unfreezes" but rewind, etc are disabled. Just thought preventing someone from buying something not working is as good as telling someone it works...

#55 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

I recently purchased a Buffalo Technology "Quad" drive. 4 x 500 GB drives in Raid 5 mode. Came up fine, switched to HD channel and within about 30 seconds the drive lights go solid and the picture freezes, but audio still moves. Strange. The pic eventually "unfreezes" but rewind, etc are disabled. Just thought preventing someone from buying something not working is as good as telling someone it works...

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking at RAID enclosures for my next setup. Did you ever get your setup working? Please keep us posted. "A problem shared...."
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#56 OFFLINE   jurlwin

jurlwin

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking at RAID enclosures for my next setup. Did you ever get your setup working? Please keep us posted. "A problem shared...."

I gave up. I ended up getting a Seagate FreeAgent Pro. I plan on connecting the Buffalo to one of my servers. If you find one, please let me know ;)

#57 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

Funhouse -
I am thinking of trying that Kingwin enclosure you reference with a 1TB drive. (newegg has them for $350). The enclosure comes with a eSata cable. Can you confirm you are using that cable as well ? If not, what did you use ?

Thanks

#58 OFFLINE   m_jraj

m_jraj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:12 AM

Seagate FreeAgent 750GB with cable from newegg.
HR20; HR10; 2 SD Directivos
Samsung 46" DLP
JVC RX-9010v Receiver
MX-500 (can't control sub volume on RX-9010v)
Windows Vista running iTunes, WMP11 & Tiversity

#59 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

FreeAgent Pro from Costco. It did NOT work with the eSata cable from Monoprice, their product number 2882, as shipped. I messed with it for a few hours, rebooting everything, changing cables (I bought two, they're cheap), plugging/unplugging, hooking to the computer to run diagnostics--nothing helped. I had read on other posts here that people didn't have to alter that particular cable--that is not correct, as I just found out. Nearing wits end, I finally got out a steak knife and cut a sliver (maybe 1/64th of an inch) off of the black, squarish looking piece between the red-orange cable and the silver plug, obviously on the side nearest the silver plug, so that effectively it could plug further into the FreeAgent, and it now works great! With the steak knife, it only took a few slices on each of the four sides above/around the silver plug, and it was very easy to cut through.
Trigger

#60 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:27 PM

Funhouse -
I am thinking of trying that Kingwin enclosure you reference with a 1TB drive. (newegg has them for $350). The enclosure comes with a eSata cable. Can you confirm you are using that cable as well ? If not, what did you use ?

Thanks

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the included cable. I tried a few other enclosures before settling on this one and even the cables that came with them worked fine. So right now I'm using two Kingwin enclosures one on each of my HR20's (One - 700 and One - 100) they've worked perfect since day one with the included cable.

I've actually been kind of surprised hearing so many issues with eSATA enclosures / cables since I haven't had any **Knock on Wood** :D
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...