Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   MIMOTech

MIMOTech

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:43 AM

I received my HR20-700 on Saturday and I received the components for the external eSATA drive the day before. I got the items listed below:

HITACHI 0A34193 1TB SATA 7200 RPM 32MB Hard Drive
and I put into a,
SATAgear CG-35sata-II-ks enclosure and 18" eSATA
to the HR20-700.

After a couple of tries the 1TB hard drive formated and connect to HR20. Both seem to be operating normally to this point.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   scottmoberly

scottmoberly

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:24 AM

This may be a pretty simple question, but how do I know if the receiver is using the eSATA drive vs. the internal drive? I have it connected, but beyond that--how do I know it is working?

#63 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:26 AM

This may be a pretty simple question, but how do I know if the receiver is using the eSATA drive vs. the internal drive? I have it connected, but beyond that--how do I know it is working?

If you had any recording's left on the internal drive you would not see them if the eSATA is working. You would not see any series links or any other setting's you may have had set on the internal drive.

You would need to reset up everything.

#64 OFFLINE   scottmoberly

scottmoberly

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:28 AM

so I am seeing the shows that were on there, so clearly--it is not working!

#65 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:30 AM

so I am seeing the shows that were on there, so clearly--it is not working!

That is correct. If sounds like you may be having the same problem that a lot of people have had with the eSATA cable not connecting all the way into the HR20. Some have had to trim the plastic on the cable a little to get it to connect right.

#66 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

I am using the KingWin eSata enclosure recommended here ($22 at newegg) with a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar drive ($339 at newegg.) The Kingwin comes with an eSata cable and it works fine and fits fine, with no trimming. The enclosure is black with a blue LED that complements the HR20's LEDs. (According to the Kingwin website, its also available in silver, though I dont see that at newegg.) It has a fan to keep drive cool, yet is very quiet as is the drive itself. All in all, very pleased so far. I've had a few days, so not a long test yet. But it was truly painless. Clearly the 750GB solution would be better on a $/GB basis, but I am pleased with the total price of this for a 1TB solution., and without a higher end Raid enclosure for multiple drives.

Drive: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145143

Enclosure (with eSata cable): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817121022

================
Reporting back after 5 days of use:

All is working very well. In fact, and I say this very subjectively, I think that I have fewer issues of pixelation with this new drive. Not that I had a big problem before, but I might have had an instance every two hours or so. I haven't noticed it once since using the eSata - it seems improved. Perhaps the large (32MB) cache on the Hitachi drive really makes a difference.

One other note: I saw several people mentioning the Cavalry external drive. It looks to me like it uses the KingWin enclosure - it looks IDENTICAL to me.

#67 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

Seagate 750 GB Free Agent Pro with Tripp Lite e-sata cable purchased from Amazon.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#68 OFFLINE   herkulease

herkulease

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

seagate 750 free agent pro and e sata cable from svc.com

#69 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:06 PM

Thermaltake Max 4 enclosure. (Used the eSata cable provided with the Max 4 package without a problem)
Seagate Barracuda ST3750640AS - 750gb

I'll second that. I just got mine setup. The fact that the enclosure comes with an eSata drive is really nice, I just wish I would have know that before hand, as I ordered a cable separately.

The main reason I went for the Thermaltake Max 4 was because it has active cooling (fan). That was key when comparing it to the FreeAgent Pro which people say runs very hot. I already have enough heat in my tv cabinet.

#70 OFFLINE   isyp

isyp

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

I recently purchased a Buffalo Technology "Quad" drive. 4 x 500 GB drives in Raid 5 mode. Came up fine, switched to HD channel and within about 30 seconds the drive lights go solid and the picture freezes, but audio still moves. Strange. The pic eventually "unfreezes" but rewind, etc are disabled. Just thought preventing someone from buying something not working is as good as telling someone it works...

Raid 5 doesn't do well in high write applications. If you can, a Raid 1 or Raid 0 configuration might solve your problem.

#71 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 615 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:39 AM

Segate FreeAgent Pro 750GB from Costco $199.00
ESATA to ESATA calbe from newegg $22.98

Plug and play works very well.
HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#72 OFFLINE   jpoet

jpoet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

I am now using this enclosure:

http://www.techpaloo...20-fan-cbl.aspx

and this drive:

http://www.zipzoomfl...ctCode=10005580

The esata cable which came with the MX-1 works just beautifully. The MX-1 is very cool, and very quiet:

http://www.silentpcr...e728-page1.html

John

#73 OFFLINE   kirkusinnc

kirkusinnc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

SansDigital enclosure MS2UT with 2 750GB Western Digital Drives(WD7500AAKS) configured as 1.5TB Raid 0
Kirk
Cary, NC

#74 OFFLINE   Hobsnow

Hobsnow

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

Western Digital 1TB (WD10000CSRT) internal drive 16MB cash W/ Antec MX-1 enclosure. Both on sale @ BB (Big Discount!). 1TB Hitachi Deskstar on SALE now @ BB W/ 90 bucks off reg price.

#75 OFFLINE   MiltonThales

MiltonThales

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB SATA - from NewEgg
Vantec NextStar 3 eSATA Enclosure - from Fry's

(Got a Kingwin enclosure from NewEgg, but the power block was bricked. :nono2:
I decided I couldn't wait so went Fry's.)

Plugged the eSATA cable (from the Kingwin enclosure !) into the drive and into the HR20-700. Worked on boot. :)
AU9-S Dish --> Zinwell Multiswitch --->

{{DirecTV HR-20-700 <=> eSATA Hitachi 1TB}} --> Philips 47PFL7422(HDMI-1) --> Sony Audio HDX-501W,

+--> Linksys SD205 switch <=> Mac mini (as wireless bridge)(also HDMI-2) <=> Linksys WRT54GS AP <=> AT&T DSL
+--> Sony PS3 60GB --> (HDMI-3)

Sony SAT-B1 --> Philips TiVo HDR312 --> Panasonic 31" SD
Philips TiVo Series2 DSR708 --> Panasonic 27" SD
HNS TiVo Series2 SD-DVR40 --> Ch3 --> Amp --> Multiplex Dist. to SD TVs

#76 OFFLINE   barryhammond

barryhammond

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

Segate FreeAgent Pro 750GB from BestBuy for less than $200 including tax.
eSATA cable from firefold.com shipped less than $5.
APC 550VA UPS from CircuitCity for $40 + tax.

The yellow light really bothered me. It can be disabled on the FAP using the utilities that came with it, but it comes back on when the power is removed. So I bought the UPS, and then disabled it using the utility after connecting it to the UPS. The PC couldn't read the disk after it was formatted by the HR20, but it still allowed me to turn the light off. So now the light is off until I lose power for an extended period of time. The drive seems to run cooler with the light off as far as I can tell just by toughing it. It is quiet and I've had no problems.

The UPS will also be nice for keeping the HR20 from going through its 10 minute reboot cycle when the power goes down for a second or two. I just have the HR20 and FAP attached to the UPS to maximize the time it can record when there is no power.

Now the question that I haven't found and answer to is the most proper and safe shutdown and power off sequence since neither of HR20 or FAP have a power button. The HR20 one doesn't really turn off the power. I won't have to do this very often with the UPS, but I did have to do this 3 or 4 times as I was installing all this and it worries me to just pull the plug. Nothing bad happened, but was I just lucky?

#77 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:34 AM

Segate FreeAgent Pro 750GB from BestBuy for less than $200 including tax.
eSATA cable from firefold.com shipped less than $5.
APC 550VA UPS from CircuitCity for $40 + tax.

The yellow light really bothered me. It can be disabled on the FAP using the utilities that came with it, but it comes back on when the power is removed. So I bought the UPS, and then disabled it using the utility after connecting it to the UPS. The PC couldn't read the disk after it was formatted by the HR20, but it still allowed me to turn the light off. So now the light is off until I lose power for an extended period of time. The drive seems to run cooler with the light off as far as I can tell just by toughing it. It is quiet and I've had no problems.

The UPS will also be nice for keeping the HR20 from going through its 10 minute reboot cycle when the power goes down for a second or two. I just have the HR20 and FAP attached to the UPS to maximize the time it can record when there is no power.

Now the question that I haven't found and answer to is the most proper and safe shutdown and power off sequence since neither of HR20 or FAP have a power button. The HR20 one doesn't really turn off the power. I won't have to do this very often with the UPS, but I did have to do this 3 or 4 times as I was installing all this and it worries me to just pull the plug. Nothing bad happened, but was I just lucky?

I requested, on the Wish List, a menu setting on the HR20 that will turn the power off (equivalent to the Shut Down choice on Windows). We've been cautioned not to pull the plug on the box unless absolutely necessary, so Power Off would seem to be a necessary option.

#78 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

This is what I do, though I can't say for certain it is the best thing. I do a menu Restart, and when all the lights of the HR20 go out , I wait 4 secs, and then pull the plug then (which is just before they would again come on - the blue LED's are off for 7 secs on mine with a menu Restart.)

I agree that there should be a way to actually turn it off, and since most everyone agrees that a UPS is a good idea, there should also be a way for the UPS to gracefully shut it down automatically after X minutes of no power, like is done with computers.

#79 OFFLINE   Live4Soccer

Live4Soccer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

Gonna take the plunge on extra storage...all that new HD content demands it! I fought it till now but the wife is asking me to record all this HD content and the stock drive aint gonna cut it..."I need more COWBELL!"

Gonna go with an internal 750g with a external case. Reason being, when the price on 1TB's come down, I can easily swap out the $200 750g drive and swap in a future $200 1TB drive later on....

HD: HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721075KLA330 (0A35154) 750GB
Why? $200 and 32mb cache...

Enclosure: KINGWIN JT-35E-BK 3.5" eSATA
Seems to be one of the few around with a fan...

Ordering it today...I'll let you all know how it goes...
"If you never concede a goal, you're going to win more games than you lose" - BOBBY MOORE

D* Since 1998
1 - HR20-700
w/HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 750GB (32mb cache) +
KINGWIN JT-35E-BK 3.5" eSATA enclosure
2 - SD Series2 DirecTivos

#80 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

Enclosure: KINGWIN JT-35E-BK 3.5" eSATA
Seems to be one of the few around with a fan...

Ordering it today...I'll let you all know how it goes...

I think you'll be pleased with that enclosure. I was a little leery as its sort of a no-name. But I've had mine 3 weeks now and it seems like a winner. Hefty fan, but nearly silent. Below is an indepth look at it by an independent site, and then is the link to the manufacturers page. Note the actual "bigbruin" review is of a slightly different Kingwin model that offers both eSata and USB 2.0 support. But as the review mentions, the eSata only enclosure is identical in every other way (except price). For someone who has never put a drive in an enclosure, this review will show you exactly what is involved (and how simple it really is.)

The Antec MX-1 also looks quite nice. But it is more than twice the price, and part of that price is certainly going towards a couple features that won't be used with the HR20 - namely USB 2.0 support and a SATA to eSATA backplane bracket. But Antec is certainly a trusted name in cases and power supplies. I don't think someone will make a mistake with either choice.

http://www.bigbruin....07/kingwinjet_1

http://www.kingwin.c...ges/jt35ebk.asp

Protected By... spam firewall...And...