Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#781 OFFLINE   Maui

Maui

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

I just hooked up a Seagate 1TB, 32M, 7200 SATA2 in an iMicro enclosure. I restarted the receiver and it is working great. I did some test recordings of HDTV and the playback is flawless.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#782 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

I just hooked up a Seagate 1TB, 32M, 7200 SATA2 in an iMicro enclosure. I restarted the receiver and it is working great. I did some test recordings of HDTV and the playback is flawless.

I would fill the disk first, then report.

#783 OFFLINE   chuckmva

chuckmva

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

I have DTV HR21-700

Today I attached a FANTOM 1Terabyte External Green Drive.

Used a 1 meter SIIG esata to esata Cable

Both above procured from MacMall. Drive was onsale for $79 after mail in rebates.

Followed suggested procedure from elsewhere on forum to power down dvr, and disconnect it from power. Connected FANTOM to esata port and attached to power and powered it up. After 30 seconds or so I powered up the DVR and turned on tv.

System reinitialized itself and downloaded from DTV for a short period and then began to operate.

LIST displayed 100% available. No shows, no movies. I then set up several recordings and a couple series for tonite, although I expect to test the removal process in order to access already recorded files/shows/movies. Shows appear to record alright. Pauses and fast forward and reverse all appear to work fine so far.

I will post followup when I have more to report.

I do not understand why DTV designed DVR to make external drive replace internal drive versus supplement it. A mystery.

#784 OFFLINE   chuckmva

chuckmva

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

I have DTV HR21-700

Both above procured from MacMall. Drive was onsale for $79 after mail in rebates.

Followed suggested procedure from elsewhere on forum to power down dvr, and disconnect it from power. Connected FANTOM to esata port and attached to power and powered it up. After 30 seconds or so I powered up the DVR and turned on tv.

System reinitialized itself and downloaded from DTV for a short period and then began to operate.

LIST displayed 100% available. No shows, no movies. I then set up several recordings and a couple series for tonite, although I expect to test the removal process in order to access already recorded files/shows/movies. Shows appear to record alright. Pauses and fast forward and reverse all appear to work fine so far.

I do not understand why DTV designed DVR to make external drive replace internal drive versus supplement it. A mystery.

I should have noted that the Fantom Greendrive has no fan. Quiet as a mouse. After three hours operation it was cooler than the WII console in same cabinet.

After three hours I changed it back out by turning off and unplugging the DVR and then turning the Fantom off and disconnecting the esata connector. I then repowered the DVR. That all took about a minute. The DVR then reinitialized and that took about 5 minutes, maybe less.

The system came up fine. Previous recordings still intact and the shows scheduled for tonite were still scheduled for recording.

I did so in order to work off some of the current recordings. I am currently at 40% available so I will have to do this several times before weaning from the old to the new. It would be much easier if there were a means copying from one drive to the other or to upload using a pc and download back to the new drive. The means to do that are not patently obvious at the moment. But its bits......there must be a way. You have to know that such capability must have been available to assist in debug somewhere along the way. Has anyone seen any specs on the DVR that mention use of the USB port and the esata ports?

#785 OFFLINE   windsurf

windsurf

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

Well, I was lucky. All 3 of my receivers were HR20s. Two were -700, one was -100. After reading a lot and getting some input from folks directly (thanks Rich584 and oenophile!) I decided to go with 2 attempts.

1. Seagate Xtreme 1.5TB ESATA (-700)
2. Seagate internal 1.5TB for other -700 and -100

Other than not reading the part about GRACEFUL SHUTDOWN carefully enough, it went flawlessly. Thanks for all the help folks.

#786 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

I have DTV HR21-700

Let us know ,When or if you every get the mail in rebate--In the form of a Real check :D

#787 OFFLINE   chuckmva

chuckmva

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:17 PM

Understand comment about rebates......put both in the mail today. So check back with me in a few months. lol. Hope they come before I forget about them. In fact, I'll put an item in the calendar to remind me....

#788 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Well, I was lucky. All 3 of my receivers were HR20s. Two were -700, one was -100. After reading a lot and getting some input from folks directly (thanks Rich584 and oenophile!) I decided to go with 2 attempts.

1. Seagate Xtreme 1.5TB ESATA (-700)
2. Seagate internal 1.5TB for other -700 and -100

Other than not reading the part about GRACEFUL SHUTDOWN carefully enough, it went flawlessly. Thanks for all the help folks.

'Twas my pleasure.

Rich

#789 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

Did a search and didn't see this mentioned - I'm now using a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA/USB dock (ST0005U) with a WD 1 TB Green Power drive on an HR20-700 and an HR21-100. No fan and the drive is "naked" but it's all working great and the drives are fairly cool to the touch.

Posted Image

Switched over from Antec MX-1 enclosures when the fan on one of mine starting screaming.
-GA

#790 OFFLINE   Maui

Maui

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

I would fill the disk first, then report.

I've recorded quite a bit at this point and haven't had a single issue as yet. I've also had great MRV output.

#791 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:13 AM

I've recorded quite a bit at this point and haven't had a single issue as yet. I've also had great MRV output.

You shouldn't see a problem until you reach about 30% available. If the eSATA starts to bog down the HR when you reach that point, just go to the menu restart and restart the whole thing. Don't disconnect anything. The eSATA will come up before the HR and you should see increased speed in the remote's response time. After that, it you maintain an almost full eSATA, doing the above occasionally seems to ''refresh" the HR.

Rich

#792 OFFLINE   frobozz

frobozz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:18 AM

I just got an acomdata model 761 for my HR22-100

however, after power-down on HR22; connect acomdata-761; let spin-up;

restarted HR-22 and it never finds the new acomdata.

did I goof in buying this model? Had seen ref's to it which is why I got it.

....LATER ON..... I found the "eSATA faq" pages just now ... so I will try powering HR22-100 off and on several times.

...even Later, same day ... did a red-button reset while the Acomdata was connected and powered up. After HR22 went thru all the start-up stuff, I discovered the old "List" was gone as well as other settings we know "were"/are stored on that HR22 internal HDD.

Thus, the Acomdata-761 is functioning with my HR-22 albeit after some re-starts.

end of question on my part.

thanks

Edited by frobozz, 04 March 2009 - 07:07 AM.
did search and found eSATA faq >..

#793 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Just to clarify: Antec mx-1 with a 1tb Western Digital GP Caviar is the way to go, is this right?

Edited by Starchild, 07 March 2009 - 08:58 PM.

Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#794 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Just to clarify: Amtec mx-1 with a 1tb Western Digital GP Caviar is the way to go, is this right?

I've never heard of a hard drive that did not work in an Antec enclosure. I use the Seagate Barracuda series in mine, just a preference towards Seagate products.

Rich

#795 OFFLINE   rebelpeasant

rebelpeasant

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

First off, thanks to everyone for sharing their set-up's.
It really helped (eventually).
I have the HR20-100C and before I did any research I purchased the 1TB WD My Book Home edition. It did NOT work. Thankfully I was able to return it and get the Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1TB (model #ST310005FPA2E3-RK). It worked right away!

#796 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:15 AM

First off, thanks to everyone for sharing their set-up's.
It really helped (eventually).
I have the HR20-100C and before I did any research I purchased the 1TB WD My Book Home edition. It did NOT work. Thankfully I was able to return it and get the Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1TB (model #ST310005FPA2E3-RK). It worked right away!

I've read a lot of posts that said the My Books do work with 21s. I tried a My Book when they first came out and all I had was a bunch of 20-700s and the My Book would not work with any of them. At the time the 21s weren't out and when I finally got a 21-700 it never occurred to me to try a My Book on it. So when you go the the thread titled "eSATA FAQ" by russdog, the thread says the My Books will not work with any HR. Gotta get someone to change that.

Rich

#797 OFFLINE   rebelpeasant

rebelpeasant

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

Update:
Tested a few recordings from last night on the new Seagate Extreme and so far so good. Everything recorded as scheduled and looks great.
Not sure why the WD MyBook didn't work with the HR 20. I tried several times and got to the point where it kept restarting over and over but never loaded the satellite info. After about 20 min. of that I gave up.

#798 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Update:
Tested a few recordings from last night on the new Seagate Extreme and so far so good. Everything recorded as scheduled and looks great.
Not sure why the WD MyBook didn't work with the HR 20. I tried several times and got to the point where it kept restarting over and over but never loaded the satellite info. After about 20 min. of that I gave up.

Wish I could give you a logical answer why the WD wouldn't work. I did call WD and ask them and they told me that the My Book series of eSATAs will not work with any DVR. Seen several reports of them working with 21s, but never a 20. On the other hand the Seagate FAPs only worked on 20s and not 21s. Logic should prevail, but in this case, it sure don't.

That call to WD was made well over a year ago and should give you an idea of how good the tech support there (India?) is.

Rich

#799 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

Personally, I never get to the mess - 'some works, some not';
the eSATA box's kind shouldn't affect it at all - that box must have direct short cable form eSATA connector on a back of the enclosure straight to SATA connector of HDD.
If you have some circuitry in between, you are asking for trouble.
Actually you have them. :(

#800 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

Personally, I never get to the mess - 'some works, some not';
the eSATA box's kind shouldn't affect it at all - that box must have direct short cable form eSATA connector on a back of the enclosure straight to SATA connector of HDD.

Shouldn't, but in the real world it does. Earl was quite amazed when I PM'd him about the My Books not working with the 20s.

If you have some circuitry in between, you are asking for trouble.
Actually you have them. :(

No I don't. All my eSATAs work. And there is circuitry between the hard drive and the HR on all eSATAs.

Rich

spam firewall