Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#901 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

I recently received a PM from a member who tried the 2TB WD HDD in an Antec MX-1 enclosure and had problems with it. He finally gave up and went another route.

Has anyone else had problems with the MX-1 and the 2TB WD drive? Please post both negative and positive comments. I don't want to keep recommending the MX-1 to people who are planning to use the WD drive or any other 2TB drive if there are problems with it. I do know that the MX-1 is rated for 1.5TB HDDs, but there have been several posts that I have read by folks who had the 2TB WDs working in the MX-1.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#902 OFFLINE   TJStaar

TJStaar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

I have purchased both of these items and will be installing this week, or at the latest this weekend. I will post my findings, good or bad (hopefully good) as they occur.

#903 OFFLINE   bfdheky

bfdheky

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

I am using this combo on 3 units and have had ZERO problems.
3 - HR22-100 with 2 TB drives
2 - H23=600
SWM-8
SWS-4

#904 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere in this thread, but I came across it yesterday and was surprised to find that DIRECTV has a page for eSATA drives on their website:

Increase Recording Capacity on Your DVR or HD DVR

I thought, "Whoa! They're supporting eSATA drives nosw!" Then I found this note at the bottom of the page:

Please note: We offer this tip because we want to help you get the most out of your DIRECTV experience. It is recommended for advanced users who are comfortable working with electronic hardware. This modification of your DIRECTV system is not officially supported by DIRECTV.

From this page, the unofficially supported recommended drives are:

• Western Digital 500GB (model WDG1S5000)
  • Seagate 500GB (model ST30500SCA109-RK)
  • Western Digital 1TB (model WDG1S10000)
  • Seagate 1TB (model ST31000SCA109-RK)

#905 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

I am using this combo on 3 units and have had ZERO problems.

That's good to hear. Makes me feel better about recommending the MX-1 and the 2TB WD drives. Thanx,

Rich

#906 OFFLINE   jayman

jayman

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

Western Digital WD-20EADS 2TB drive inside an Antec MX-1 enclosure connected to an HR-23 via eSATA

Working well with no issues since 6/26/2009. Accessing recordings on this drive via MRV on the bedroom HR-22 works well too! The HR-22 has the stock 500GB inside the unit.

FYI I would have gone for the 1.5TB WD drive instead had they been in stock at Newegg when I decided to pull the trigger on this. Much cheaper per GB with similar performance and only 25% less space. I'm happy with this setup, though.

#907 OFFLINE   FranklyFred

FranklyFred

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

HR20-100 seagate 1TB exterme follewed directions drive showed up empty on playlist. Then the Hr20 rebooted and lost the drive now playlist is still the dvr. tried twice with the unplug power drive then dvr still wont show dvr the light comes on on the drive. Any ideas

#908 OFFLINE   FranklyFred

FranklyFred

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

weird redid it again and now drives shows up but got screen intro "updated Directv cinema" It works now

#909 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

I have two WD20EADS in two Antec MX-1s on two HR20-100s. No assembly problems (about ten screws) and 10 or 15 minutes. Plug and Go it seems.
Best to ALL!!
oldbamaguy
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

#910 OFFLINE   UseFluke

UseFluke

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

Seagate Barracuda 1.5 tb SATA (st315005n1a1as-rk) With the ever resilient Antec Mx-1 enclosure.

#911 OFFLINE   GAC

GAC

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

Has anyone connected the external hard drive "Fantom GreenDrive 1TB - GD1000EU" with a "DirecTV DVR Model #HR-21" ?

If so, were there any problems that I need to be aware of ? Are there any compatability issues that would cause it not to work ? Any special needs it may require ?

Has anyone connected the drive to the DVR and not experienced any problems and/or is it working fine ?

One of the posters below mentioned he "connected the Fantom GreenDrive 1TB GD1000EU to his HR20 a couple of days ago and it's been working fine", but I'm asking about the Model # HR-21 and not the HR-20.

Thanks

#912 OFFLINE   wafi

wafi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

Long time lurker without ever having registered. Need some guidance and suggestions. I have a HD-DVR - HR21-100 that I would like to hook up to a WD - My Book 2TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive, model WDH1U20000N. Any experiences with similar set-ups would be appreciated.

#913 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

Long time lurker without ever having registered. Need some guidance and suggestions. I have a HD-DVR - HR21-100 that I would like to hook up to a WD - My Book 2TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive, model WDH1U20000N. Any experiences with similar set-ups would be appreciated.

I wouldn't put an eSATA on a 21-100. Just an opinion, I've never been able to get an eSATA to work properly on a 100.

Rich

#914 OFFLINE   wafi

wafi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

I wouldn't put an eSATA on a 21-100. Just an opinion, I've never been able to get an eSATA to work properly on a 100.

Rich

Really? The DirecTV website seems to suggest we should use eSATA drives. What would you recommend..I just wanna get a 2TB and get it done with, dont wanna get a 1TB and then regret it a few weeks later.

#915 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

Really? The DirecTV website seems to suggest we should use eSATA drives. What would you recommend..I just wanna get a 2TB and get it done with, dont wanna get a 1TB and then regret it a few weeks later.

Just because I've never had an eSATA work on a 100 doesn't mean they don't. I only have 700s with the exception of a 21-200. I did have a 22-100 that I bought because I needed an HR and that was all that was available at the time. Worked fine at first, but after a month, it was so buggy that I didn't use it and after 3 months had passed I finally exchanged it for a new 23-700.

Anyhow, I have no idea what eSATAs will work on the 100s. I do know this: The 20-700s will work perfectly with a Seagate Xtreme and a Cavalry CAXM. The Cav CAXM will, apparently work with all the HRs. But I've had a lot of trouble with the Cavs and I wouldn't recommend getting one.

If you are on the handy side, an Antec MX-1 enclosure will work on all the HRs as far as I know. That's just an enclosure, you have to buy a bare SATA drive to put in it. Right now you can get the WD 2TB for about $230 if you look around the Net sites or go to BB. The Antec enclosure costs $35-50 on Amazon.

I'd go with the Antec enclosure and the bare drive of the size you want. You're right about regretting buying a 1TB drive, you will regret it. I'd get at least a 1.5TB. The 2TBs (I have one) do fill up over the course of a season. Seemed huge at first, but it didn't take long to fill it up.

Rich

#916 OFFLINE   wafi

wafi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

Just because I've never had an eSATA work on a 100 doesn't mean they don't. I only have 700s with the exception of a 21-200. I did have a 22-100 that I bought because I needed an HR and that was all that was available at the time. Worked fine at first, but after a month, it was so buggy that I didn't use it and after 3 months had passed I finally exchanged it for a new 23-700.

Anyhow, I have no idea what eSATAs will work on the 100s. I do know this: The 20-700s will work perfectly with a Seagate Xtreme and a Cavalry CAXM. The Cav CAXM will, apparently work with all the HRs. But I've had a lot of trouble with the Cavs and I wouldn't recommend getting one.

If you are on the handy side, an Antec MX-1 enclosure will work on all the HRs as far as I know. That's just an enclosure, you have to buy a bare SATA drive to put in it. Right now you can get the WD 2TB for about $230 if you look around the Net sites or go to BB. The Antec enclosure costs $35-50 on Amazon.

I'd go with the Antec enclosure and the bare drive of the size you want. You're right about regretting buying a 1TB drive, you will regret it. I'd get at least a 1.5TB. The 2TBs (I have one) do fill up over the course of a season. Seemed huge at first, but it didn't take long to fill it up.

Rich

I'm gonna try it [the WD 2TB My Book] out and see, if it doesnt work I'll give the Seagate Xtreme a try [altho I really would like 2TB, would the Seagate Showcase work?] if they both dont work out then I'll go with the bare bone drive and use the Antec on it.

#917 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

This might be a repost but I thought I'd mention that DTV now has a page on their website encouraging users to connect an external hard drive. They even recommend some drives. They've got a disclaimer that they don't officially support it. Here's a link:

http://www.directv.c...-090720final&m=
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#918 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

I'm gonna try it [the WD 2TB My Book] out and see, if it doesnt work I'll give the Seagate Xtreme a try [altho I really would like 2TB, would the Seagate Showcase work?] if they both dont work out then I'll go with the bare bone drive and use the Antec on it.

The Xtreme now comes in a 2TB version. Still think they are kinda iffy on a 21. The Seagate Showcase only has a 1TB version at the moment. It will have larger HDDs in the near future. If you look at Seagate's website, you will see that Seagate ONLY recommends the Showcase for Pace DVRs, which are the HRs that end in 700.

I called Seagate the other day and spent about an hour on the phone with a couple guys and, apparently, they only tried the Showcase on a couple 700s. So when you read that eSATA recommendation on D*'s website, keep that in mind.

Rich

#919 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

This might be a repost but I thought I'd mention that DTV now has a page on their website encouraging users to connect an external hard drive. They even recommend some drives. They've got a disclaimer that they don't officially support it. Here's a link:

I just reread that page, and I still don't see where D* recommends a 1TB limit for an eSATA. Just because both Seagate and WD only sell 1TB DVR compatible units doesn't mean that they are not gonna get larger. I know Seagate is. Calling WD is an act of futility, unless you enjoy speaking to someone in downtown Bombay, but Seagate has it's call centers in the US and I have talked to them.

So when Seagate introduces the 1.5TB Showcase and then the 2TB Showcase, I guess we'll be told that D* now recommends those size eSATAs.

Rich

#920 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

I did find something interesting on that page:

Customer Promise: We strive to deliver the best television experience for you every day. Committed to the principles of honesty and integrity, our employees are determined to provide you with prompt, courteous and excellent service. We promise to do our best to resolve any issues that might arise as quickly as possible. And we will continue to develop the unique, innovative programming and services that you have come to expect and enjoy from DIRECTV.

This is our promise to you.

Anybody believe this is a factual statement?

Rich

spam firewall